Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 PM

60 posts, read 155,164 times

Advertisements

I know there are an endless amount of "I'm moving, please help me" posts, but it really is hard to go through the 600 pages of information and find something that fits my situation.

Here's my situation, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I currently live in Central NJ and just accepted a job at 32nd & Broadway. I am not in a rush to move, but looking to do so around August/September (or after I save enough for first/last/security, etc).

I am going to be moving with my boyfriend (once he finds a job), and we prefer a 1 br, but could deal with an alcove-type studio if necessary. My job is going to be paying me $60k, and I suspect he will be making around that as he works in IT (+/- $5k is my prediction).

This means that between the 2 of us, we will be making about $120k. I know the 45 (i think its 45? or is it 40) x rule gives us $2600, but I would feel more comfortable spending about $2000 - $2200 on rent (will go up to $2500 if it's necessary). I know this isn't that much and I am not going to find a luxury apt, but can I find something IN manhattan for this amount? I do not initially want, nor am i going to consider living in the boroughs at this point, so please just tell me up front if I cannot afford manhattan versus what I can afford in the boroughs.

I have some additional questions...
1. I know craigslist is polluted with scammers so it is hard to tell. How did you all find your apartments? I live close enough to go into the city and look, but what's the best way to find an apt?

2. Going off of #1, is it worth it to find a broker/realtor and pay a fee? Am i going to find a better deal that way...? Also if anyone has used a broker and/or paid a fee, please tell me who you used and your experience (how much for the fee). Anyone have any experience with Citi Habitats in particular?

3. If I am working close to Penn Station, what are my best options for neighborhoods? My bf has not found a job, so no idea where he will be working; at this point going strictly off of my work location. We are young (both are 25), but do not need to be down the street from the best bar scenes. Based on this, I have heard things about Murray HIll - boring, but safe. Anyone live in Murray Hill?

Thank you all for even reading this, and any help would be greatly appreciated. It's one thing to go into the city on the weekend, another thing to consider living there. Please excuse any ignorance on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,904 times
Ok Manhattan is a borough as well..you almost threw me off there. lol.

As for location your job is in a PRIME location, your around several trains and buses so in regard to where you can live in Manhattan you'll have TONS of options !

You have the perfect budget. Trust me you'll be able to find a ton of apartments with that, both Alcove Studio and 1BDRM apartments. Here are some websites you can check out...(with a budget like that I would stay away from craigslist)

Real Estate - Buy, Sell or Rent a Home - The New York Times

Halstead Property | Halstead: Manhattan Real Estate Brokers NYC residential property listings New York City

Manhattan Real Estate Listings of New York Apartments & Lofts for Rental & Sales

New York City (NYC) Apartments - Apartments for Rent & Sale, No Fee Apartments

New York City Apartments for Rent and Sale & NYC Commercial Real Estate Listings

Old 06-22-2010, 07:11 AM

60 posts, read 155,164 times
Sorry, I meant other boroughs, haha. It seemed easier than writing them out... but because I only know manhattan, I do not want to live in brooklyn/bronx/queens - possibly later on, but for now i wanna stick to manhattan.

PLUS, i should have written - my job will require me to travel 50% of the time around manhattan, another reason why i feel it is best for me to live there.

I mean you see like 1000 listings, and it really is hard to separate the real ones from the fake ones. I definitely do not expect a 900 sqft 1 br, and I have lived near the city long enough that I understand the high prices.

JKid, your resources and positive remarks are extremely helpful. I admittedly get nervous because I read some posts with people saying I make six digits and cannot afford rent - I do not expect to be living lavishly, but I want to get by and still have a little bit left for a savings. So, thank you for being helpful rather than telling me its impossible!

If anyone has any experiences with brokers or with some of the other questions I asked, I will be very grateful.

And yes, manhattan as the borough... not the others

Old 06-22-2010, 07:32 AM

684 posts, read 1,819,904 times
Lol, no problem. But yea just give those a quick check, your actually in good range for what many of these apartments are offering for market rate. Trust me with what your willing to spend monthly for a studio/1bdrm you should definitely be able to find something you and your boyfriend will be happy with without having to make some MAJOR sacrifices

Old 06-25-2010, 04:49 PM

62 posts, read 81,436 times
You should easily be able to find a non doorman studio or small one bedroom in that range. Many apartments are still no fee even if you use the services of a broker.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,798 times
Can any of you tell me why west side is cheaper than east? Have been told that bus / taxis routes have to go all round central park - is this true?
moving to Manhattan nxt mth & trying to find apartment to rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: