Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 AM

47 posts, read 209,417 times

Advertisements

I love my current apartment because I have no mice. I do have roaches, but not infestation-worthy (nothing a lil' Raid can't handle). There are waterbugs, but they're mainly in the lobby.

I used to live in an apartment with mice and its horrible. But here are some things that worked for me:

1. Try to find out where the mice are coming from. Most likely they're coming from the kitchen where there are spaces around the water and gas pipes that provide room. Stuff those spaces with steel wool.

2. Use D-Con baits and traps. This works wonders! But don't use this if you have cats or dogs.

3. Ultrasonic mouse repellent. It looks like a speaker that you plug in and sends sound waves around the room that rodents want to avoid. You can't hear it, but your unwanted four legged friends can. This method does take some time (the sound waves take about a week to bounce off the walls) and its more costly, but in the log run its effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 PM

541 posts, read 1,897,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjay114 View Post
I love my current apartment because I have no mice. I do have roaches, but not infestation-worthy (nothing a lil' Raid can't handle). There are waterbugs, but they're mainly in the lobby.

I used to live in an apartment with mice and its horrible. But here are some things that worked for me:

1. Try to find out where the mice are coming from. Most likely they're coming from the kitchen where there are spaces around the water and gas pipes that provide room. Stuff those spaces with steel wool.

2. Use D-Con baits and traps. This works wonders! But don't use this if you have cats or dogs.

3. Ultrasonic mouse repellent. It looks like a speaker that you plug in and sends sound waves around the room that rodents want to avoid. You can't hear it, but your unwanted four legged friends can. This method does take some time (the sound waves take about a week to bounce off the walls) and its more costly, but in the log run its effective.
The ultrasonic thing is worthless. Mice adapt. I have one and I haven't noticed a difference.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,220,777 times
getting a cat or 2 is great idea to keep your place pest free- obviously they will massacre any mice that dare to enter, but even for roaches too. i lived in some dirty apts in philly that had some roach problems. they would come out at night, not knowing that my cat was just waiting for them, he could hear them in the walls. i would sometimes find the dead roaches in the middle of the kitchen floor the following morning.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,011,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
getting a cat or 2 is great idea to keep your place pest free- obviously they will massacre any mice that dare to enter, but even for roaches too. i lived in some dirty apts in philly that had some roach problems. they would come out at night, not knowing that my cat was just waiting for them, he could hear them in the walls. i would sometimes find the dead roaches in the middle of the kitchen floor the following morning.
At least he didn't bring them to you in bed.

Are the roaches smart enough to stay away once their family members start getting preyed upon by the cat?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 AM

40 posts, read 136,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
You actually paid money for a cat in NYC?
hahahaha This is hilarious!!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 AM

40 posts, read 136,784 times
i dont understand why ppl always advice others to keep their apartments clean if they have roaches. first of all, that's not an issue (i'll explain why) and second of all, this guy already stated that he keeps his apt clean, so let's not ignore the veracity of his words. IMO keeping your place clean or filling in cracks might help but only minimally....

We used to live in a roach-infested bldg. Nothing helped. The owner sold it, and the new owner had a management company take care of it. They hired an exterminator. I swear to you, the man showed up only twice and I never saw a roach again; not even one! he sprayed the bldg for a few more months and that was it. Fabulous job!
Roaches are not human. They do not tell themselves, "Oh my god! This food is sealed in a Ziploc bag! Let's go to another apartment." Even if there was no food, they would still find something to eat b/c they're more adaptable than us. And lastly, seeking food is not the only reason why roaches move around. So, please, stop with this myth! There is only one solution to a roach infestation -- an EXTERMINATOR!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,899,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
The ultrasonic thing is worthless. Mice adapt. I have one and I haven't noticed a difference.
I agree. I bought several of the things and they were useless.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 48,713 times
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone - this is really good advice. I'm fairly new to the NYC housing battle (this is my first least, second year) and am pretty appalled by the dirty tricks landlords pull here. It's really a different world!

The problem seems to have gotten better due to utilizing some of the do-it-yourself remedies mentioned above, but I am going to file a complaint with the housing board anyway. Landlord still has not contacted an exterminator. I hope she faces extremely large fines. Needless to say, I will not be renewing my lease here when it's up in February.

Thanks again!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,931,745 times
Also douse every couple weeks a cotton ball with 100% peppermint oil and place it near possible points of penetration to keep away mice. Its pretty strong so it may smell up your entire apartment but the mice cannot stand it and keep away. Check out amazon and some reviews on Peppermint oil. Its a little known fact.

For roaches, use boric acid provided you don't have a cat or dog that may ingest it. Its a powder that you put into the corners of your areas and down by again possible points of penetration into your apartment. You may see a roach or two still but this will keep them away and eventually kill them. If you see them out in the open in broad daylight with the boric acid down, they are desperate for water (boric acid dries them out).

These two items have kept my apartment clean of roaches and mice in a building that has about 35% of the rooms in it with some sort of infestation problem. It also helps to plug all holes up with caulking. Good luck to you

Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,462 times
Nicolegu: I have lived in Manhattan since 2001, and have had 4 different apartments. I have had mice in 2 of them.. that I knew about. I think you cannot realistically expect to live in a rodent-free manhattan apartment. They are ALL over NY. I cannot believe you could get out of your lease for this, but in any event, make sure you rent next time in new construction and perhaps way up high, 20 stories up. GL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City