Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times

Advertisements

I'm not a huge fan of the sport, but I've really been into it this year and twice went to bars to watch the US games where the atmosphere was amazing. Anyone else into it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I see there are alot of people pretending to be/forcing themselves to be into it. It will catch on quickly as advertisers/networks will not let the huge revenue opportunity pass them by. It will be hyped, integrated into heavy marketing programs, and create the illusion that everyone loves it, and if you are a real man/american, you are supposed to love it too = lots of money for the networks.

Enjoy!

Old 06-23-2010, 03:25 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times
Actually I've always enjoyed it, but am under no influence of marketers.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:10 PM

425 posts, read 958,720 times
I have always wanted to take the time to understand / learn / appreciate the sport for a long time, and I started last year following the U.S. Team and their run in the Conferderation Cup.

I honestly belive if more Americans took the time to really learn the sport, it would not come across as "boring"

The fact that it is 90 Minutes of almost persistant action, compared to 11 Minutes of actual motion in a typical NFL game proves that, however that is a big reason coporate america has been slow to really get behind the sport, where or where would they shove 50 commercials down our throat every 5 minutes.

...even bought myself a Clint Dempsey shirt...I avoided the Donovan one...everyone gets the Donovan one! LOL

Old 06-23-2010, 07:33 PM

223 posts, read 616,067 times
I've actually been getting into it. It's not as boring as I thought. One thing I don't like about it though are the "dives" with all the theatrics. It kinda comes off unsportsman like when it's overdone. Take the hit like a man and play the game.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
I'm into it, but not as much 2006, since a few of my favorite players: Ronalidihno, Zidane, Beckham have either retired or have been injured out of this years world cup. Not much flair and flamboyance compared to last WC in Germany either. I mean teams are barely winning games or leaving with draws. Oh well. The next World Cup is set to be in Brazil in 2014 so that should be off the hook

Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 PM

79 posts, read 303,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I'm into it, but not as much 2006, since a few of my favorite players: Ronalidihno, Zidane, Beckham have either retired or have been injured out of this years world cup. Not much flair and flamboyance compared to last WC in Germany either. I mean teams are barely winning games or leaving with draws. Oh well. The next World Cup is set to be in Brazil in 2014 so that should be off the hook
Yeah, Zidane was amazing in 2006. He's my all-time favorite player. Unfortunately, soccer greats like him come once every 15 to 20 years. But there are still great teams and players to watch in this World Cup. Messi, KaKa, Wesley Sneijder, Luis-Fabiano, and a whole lot of Spanish, English, and German players. The knockout rounds will be really interesting. I predict Brazil, Germany, Nederlands, and Argentina to make final four, with Spain and England having great chances as well. Enjoy the World Cup.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 PM

79 posts, read 303,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
I've actually been getting into it. It's not as boring as I thought. One thing I don't like about it though are the "dives" with all the theatrics. It kinda comes off unsportsman like when it's overdone. Take the hit like a man and play the game.
The dives are done to make fouls by defenders obvious. Soccer is a fast-paced and continuous action game; it is really hard for one referee to notice all the little kicks to the dribblers' feet and ankles by defenders. But those little kicks are all that it takes to make an opponent lose possession of the ball. By the way, it really hurts a lot to hit the ground after being tripped while sprinting. A short pause of action is expected after a hard contact.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:12 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Players from less physical leagues tend to dive and exaggerate injuries because they are used to refs calling fouls on almost any contact. You see players from Brazil, Spain, Portugal, Italy doing this. You really don't see it with players in the English Premier League which is why I like it, the players are more honest and the refs don't put up with BS from them. You don't really see the American players doing it either although I think Altidore flops around a little too much when he gets fouled...

I'm really glad the US team is doing pretty well, they sure left it til the last minute though! They have a lot of potential and international experience and can be impressive but they can also make a lot of mistakes, but I don't mind, they are a great team this year.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:58 AM

154 posts, read 535,920 times
When there is a World or Euro Cup you will see orange all over the streets here in Holland. We set up a big tent and watch all games of the Dutch team on big screen tv's, best time of the year!

This was when Holland won the Euro Cup in '88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVvG-jfrTG4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City