Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
In the first place, "Just Used" requires you to wait three minutes, not 18.
That is NOT true. If you have an unlimited card and you use it once you have wait fifteen minutes to use it again.
Have you ever used one before?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,340 times
Default please help me. i need ur advice

Hi. Since your a senior member and a mta agent i would like a bit of advice. I was on the R train and got off at jay street metro tech to transfer to the F train. As soon as i got off and walked to mid platform there were a bunch of high school kids and 2 Police officers pulled me aside. the officers thought i was with them and accused me of hopping the turnstile with them when i didnt.. i have a unlimited metro card (and told them to please check the time (i entered the train station at dekalb not Jay Street Metrotech) and when i provided it to them they didnt seem to care. I would like to know how long do police keep video tape footage because i didnt enter/hop the turnstile and would like to see if i can obtain this and use it to fight the ticket. please send me advice. my email is [email]l.jonathan2k12@ymail.com[/email]. thanks in advance.

Quote:
I'm going along with Henna--and I work for MTA! How the police caught the guy isn't something you need to know. (I happen to know the deal, trust me). The easiest thing to do is pay your fare, just like you're supposed to. If it becomes necessary, you can always go the cliche route and do the math: figure what the fare costs, as opposed to what a fine would cost.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
I'll tell you a little something, but only because I happen to work for MTA: you should never, I repeat NEVER, try to put anything past MTA. There's more surveillance going on than you'd probably be comfortable with. (The catch is that everything isn't enforced to the letter. But if you're on video and you choose to get up on a soapbox and go to court to defend something you shouldn't have done in the first place, well, let's just say you shouldn't be surprised at whatever happens).

A word to the wise.

Fred, you seem to have offered good advice to the mta customers regarding what to and not to do for their own good. As an "inside" person, do you mind sharing mta positions on all types of accusation of their inefficiency, waste, poor leadership, or even corruptions, which are condemned by customers to be the major causes of finacial drainage of the city transit system. Do the mta authorities receive pressure from the city/state governments regarding their accountability in operating the gigantic transit system? are there any convincing explanations from the mta to offset most of the complaints front it's customers?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I've stood up to them, in person- at their public hearings.
You can watch the old feeds on their website if you so choose.

They've told me with a dead serious look in their face, you're absolutely right about the facts you present- but we have a job to do; and unfortunately you're the kind of customer that gets the short end of the stick.

MTA picks winners and losers. Not purposefully when their shoddy equipment fails, but in their pricing schemes and expansion efforts.

Thanks for sharing your story. It is a good lesson for goodncitizens and you paid for all of it .

You do have my sympathy and support for the entire thing. Unfortunately many regular fare evaders have ruined the basic values of trusting and forgiving each other in this NYC jungle. Play by the rules and deal with the frustrations when the iron fist has knocked it out of your way.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:38 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Now that you've been so generous as to inform them of that loophole, you can start counting the days until it's closed.

An individual does not take on an entity as large as MTA and casually refer to it as "stupid." (It isn't stupid; it's slow to react. But it will react).
Considering that the "loophole" is an AMEX policy, I fail to see how the MTA could ever change it, regardless of speed.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,156 times
Here is my question:
A few days ago I entered a train station in downtown Manhattan that had 3 turnstiles and no token booth. I swiped my card and it said $2.25 paid. When I went to go through the turnstile would not move. Seeing as I did pay the fare I decided to jump the turnstile. Sure enough a cop came up to me and said I jumped without paying and gave me a summons for "fare evasion" saying he only saw me jump he didn't see me pay.

My hearing is in about month. Do I have any chance of fighting this and winning?
I still have the Metrocard that I used and have not used it since.
Any advice will be welcomed.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM

31 posts, read 74,289 times
I wish the cops would patrol the 18th avenue stop on the N, the 17th ave entrance where there's no attendant. Every single day I see people (mostly teenagers and chinese people) enter through the emergency exit. I guess this signals the attendant on 18th ave, because the alarm blares for less than a minute. I've NEVER seen these people get caught!!!! It's infuriating, I pay all this money for an unlimited metrocard and these people ride for free every single day.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol84 View Post
I entered a train station in downtown Manhattan that had 3 turnstiles and no token booth. I swiped my card and it said $2.25 paid. When I went to go through the turnstile would not move. Seeing as I did pay the fare I decided to jump the turnstile. Sure enough a cop came up to me and said I jumped without paying and gave me a summons for "fare evasion" saying he only saw me jump he didn't see me pay. ... Do I have any chance of fighting this and winning? I still have the Metrocard that I used and have not used it since.
Did you take a photo of the turnstile reading "Fare paid"? (Is that even possible? IDK)
While it would be great if the capacity existed, I doubt that the court will have any ability to scan your MetroCard, to determine if any internal record exists of its use at the time your summons was issued, or the location. If so, why wouldn't the officer at the scene have a similar capability, especially if assigned to a fare-beating assignment?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
My advice: Pay your fare!
This

Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,156 times
Thank you Jake for your input. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the turnstile saying "Fare Paid". When I asked the officer to check my MetroCard he told me that it would only be possible if there was a token booth with an attendant.
I was able to speak to a retired MTA officer. He told me to show-up with my card and they should be able to check it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City