Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 15,500 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving from Allentown, PA to Hartford, CT next Thursday and had planned to take I-78 to Newark Airport where I'd pick up I-95 north. Pick up I-87 north after crossing the river at Ft Lee to the Cross County Parkway then continue north on the Hutchinson River Parkway followed by the Merritt Parkway.

I figured on leaving here so that I'd hit the I-78 / I-95 interchange at 9am. Theoretically, that would put me on the Merritt by about 10am.

Is the traffic at that time of the morning along my proposed route so awful that I should change my route to bypass NYC?

My alternate route would be to take I-287, cross the Tappen-Zee, then pick up the Merritt Parkway.

Going straight through NYC would save a lot of miles but, if the traffic is really bad, I could end up spending more time on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
The Cross Brox Expressway, other side of the George Washington Bridge can be a pain in the neck, as can I-95 as they are truck routes. If you are in a passenger vehicle, I would take the Henry Hudson Parkway north, pass through The Bronx, exit at the Cross County Parkway in Yonkers, and stay to the left as the road merges to become the Hutchinson noth. You do pay a toll at the Henry Hudson Bridge, but it's less expensive than the fuel wasted dealing with the Cross Bronx and I-95.

The Tappan Zee should be moving fairly well by that point, too, though there can sometimes be residual delays on both bridges.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown, PA View Post
I figured on leaving here so that I'd hit the I-78 / I-95 interchange at 9am. Theoretically, that would put me on the Merritt by about 10am.
I think that's ambitious. Probably a little unrealistic if you mean you will have entered CT by 10am.

Quote:
My alternate route would be to take I-287, cross the Tappen-Zee, then pick up the Merritt Parkway.

Going straight through NYC would save a lot of miles but, if the traffic is really bad, I could end up spending more time on the road.
I would take I287 to the Tappan Zee (and then consider taking I684 to I84 to Hartford).

It isn't a whole lot of additional miles and is probably a better bet to arrive on time.

Another problem with the I-78/95 plan is that leaving earlier doesn't help. If anything it makes it worse (my wife takes that opposite route, away from the city, around 7am and it's not pretty early in the morning).

Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The Cross Brox Expressway, other side of the George Washington Bridge can be a pain in the neck, as can I-95 as they are truck routes. If you are in a passenger vehicle, I would take the Henry Hudson Parkway north, pass through The Bronx, exit at the Cross County Parkway in Yonkers, and stay to the left as the road merges to become the Hutchinson noth.
Good call on the truck routes. Lots of traffic.

Let me say this back to you to make sure I understand.

1. I-78 through the Holland Tunnel.
2. Laight Street to 12th Ave (aka Rt 9A)
3. North on 12th Ave until it becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy
4. etc

Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 PM

I would avoid the tunnel. You can get the HH Parkway at the George Washington Bridge. At an off hour, the Holland can be easier, if there's a problem on the bridge, but I would not take it at the time you're proposing a delay at the Holland is almost inevitable.

You can get to the Henry Hudson from both levels of the George Washington Bridge, so you would follow the New Jersey Turnpike north. Pay attention to the delays, however, on the traffic report, since if they are significant on the morning you're traveling, I would divert to the Tappan Zee. You can always make your way to the Palisades Parkway in Northern NJ to get to the Tappan Zee, too, if a problem arises after you're on the Turnpike.

If you want to avoid all of the issues, I would suggest heading through the Delaware Water Gap to 84 at Port Jervis, and crossing the Hudson at Newburgh, but it will take a while to get there in PA, since you're not going to be on an Interstate.

City-Data FAQs

Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would avoid the tunnel.
Thank you very much for your insightful replies to my questions. I'll put them to use this coming week when we set out on our trek.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown, PA View Post
Thank you very much for your insightful replies to my questions. I'll put them to use this coming week when we set out on our trek.
You're welcome. Have a safe trip.

City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City