U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Newton, Mass.
2,954 posts, read 7,580,821 times
Reputation: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
So leave NY then! Yuppies ain't going nowhere and they have a right to live here and better the city. Leave if you don't like what NY is turning into...believe me, you won't be missed!
Personally I did leave NY. And maybe people like me will be missed one day. I was born in NYC and my family goes back 5 generations in the city. I've got a graduate degree, a high-paying job and a top credit score. No criminal record, never received any government assistance of any kind, paid massive amounts of taxes to the city and state. Active in the community, all that.

By income and education some people might conclude that I am a yuppie. But it's just not my temperament. I didn't connect at all with all these shallow high-income people who are all about conspicuous consumption. Many of these people are NYC area suburbanites who refused to set foot in this city back in the 90's, when people like my family had stayed. Now they've marched in and act like they own the whole place. There are so many people like this that I don't really recognize the place anymore, and they drove the cost of housing so sky-high that I saw no point in staying. Why work 80-hour weeks to live in NYC when I could get twice the house for half the price and half the commute elsewhere? Without even having to move to some god-awful place like Texas.

So I'm gone, and I'm not coming back. So many of these comments are so fixated on "ghetto" people. You're not seeing that "gentrification" has pushed more people like me straight out of NYC than "ghetto" people, who are still there.

 
Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,171 posts, read 2,607,100 times
Reputation: 986
NOTE TO ALL: Report Housing Discrimination.
 
Old 07-15-2010, 07:09 PM
 
461 posts, read 1,125,573 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Before you do anything, just make sure you know for sure you're being discriminated against. You must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were discriminated against. Just because you may of been denied an apartment doesn't mean you were discriminated against. The landlord may of found someone more qualified than you.
 
Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Status: "I love the United States and every city inside of it" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,839 posts, read 6,378,446 times
Reputation: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Before you do anything, just make sure you know for sure you're being discriminated against. You must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were discriminated against. Just because you may of been denied an apartment doesn't mean you were discriminated against. The landlord may of found someone more qualified than you.
but in your case its discrimination , and i am willing to bet she posted that "note" after reading your post.

replying back acting like it inst towards you , im planning on having someone check your ip address and might look into the link that qnsgirl has provided.
 
Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Del Norte NM
530 posts, read 740,176 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
I remember the days when new york had soul.
It was dirty but it was great. Now its just one big gentrified place full of yuppies from ohio,california,colorado etc.
I hate looking at those ugly ass cookie cutter condos put all over my neighborhood and the rest of new york.
the last place where there is the "real" new york is the Bronx which only has maybe 10 years left.
I remember growing up here and I had the best of times.

I just wish they would leave NYC alone.
I wouldnt have a problem if yuppies wouldn't zap the culture everywhere they go with starbucks and all that other crap.
Colorado? Huh? It seems to me that most NYer's are attempting to fill CO and the Southwest in general as fast as they possibly can.

I miss the days before NY and New England made the Southwest like Boston!
 
Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Status: "I love the United States and every city inside of it" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,839 posts, read 6,378,446 times
Reputation: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
1. I am glad that you recognize that every black person is not ghetto. But if you are conducting housing discrimination against people because your perception of them is that they are "ghetto" and "thuggish" you could find yourself in a lot of trouble if that person turns out to be completely reputable and they report you.

2. As far as a gentrification movement in the Bronx goes, I don't see it taking off any time soon. The early signs of gentrification that people are seeing now are the same signs I saw back in Fort Greene, Brooklyn in 1980. It took a full 20 years before things completely turned around. In addition, there's too much housing available in more desirable neighborhoods right now due to the recession and real estate bust. People are moving back to Manhattan because it's more affordable again. And, if there's no big economic recovery coming soon, you can probably kiss any major gentrification movement in the Bronx goodbye.

3. If anyone has access to reliable housing and crime data, I'm interested in getting answers to the following, based on some statement posed here.

In NYC ...

a) On a percentage basis, do black people get more housing assistance (e.g., Section 8 vouchers and residence in the NYCHA houses) than anyone else? NOTE: There's large number of undocumented people living in "slum housing" and paying the equivalent of a section 8 rates or lower. So even if there are stats on this, they won't accurately reflect who is living in poverty.

b) Are there are any predominantely black neighborhoods that have lower crimes rate than predominantely non-black neighborhoods. (I think there might be. I'll look into this one).
flatlands a predominantly black(west indian) community in brooklyn is very very safe and probably more safe then any hispanic community in nyc.

not discriminating but the poster andez claims that no hispanic area is more dangerous then black areas.

but after looking at this thread i guess nyc is just so big that it has ignorant people who have never seen the whole city

thank god im not one of them.
 
Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Status: "I love the United States and every city inside of it" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,839 posts, read 6,378,446 times
Reputation: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Don't worry queensgrl. I don't discriminate because I really don't have to. People of lower class disqualify themselves! I follow the rules so no one can ever accuse me of housing discrimination. Besides the burden of proof is on the person to proof that they were discriminated on.

What people don't realize as well as some Landlords is that it is SUPER EASY to deny a "ghetto", "thuggish" or public program person an apartment. If you have a legit strict rental criteria, chances are ghetto, thuggish and program applicants will disqualify themselves without me doing or saying anything. It's that easy!

How many ghetto people, thugs, and program people do you know have a 650 credit score or more? Very slim if that! BAM..."sorry Mr. Raheem Jones but you were disqualified because your credit score did not meet our requirements". Next!

Same concept applies to criminal record, previous evictions, employment status, referrals, etc. Get the point?

As long as the Landlord has a strict rental criteria combined with the desire to either cleanse or preserve the neighborhood from ghetto people like I do, then there is no legal issue and any so-called discrimination accusation that may come my way have no feet to stand on and will be thrown out in the court of law.

you clearly stated you blacklist black people in gneral. now your changing it to ghetto.

you say you aren't racist? then i think you better read over the thread.
 
Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,171 posts, read 2,607,100 times
Reputation: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
not discriminating but the poster andez claims that no hispanic area is more dangerous then black areas.
The following majority black neighborhoods have had fewer crime complaints year-to-date (2010) than in the majority Hispanic 43rd Precinct in The Bronx. I believe these statistics provide an indication of the level of danger in each community.

43rd Precinct (Bronx, 10472) - 1,083
67th Precinct (Brooklyn, 11226) - 1,062
113th Precinct (Queens, 11434) - 947
69th Precinct (Brooklyn, 11236) - 469
28th Precinct (Manhattan, 10027) - 434
101st Precinct (Queens, 11691) - 309

Sources: NYPD City Wide Crime Statistics & City-Data.com Zip Code Detailed Profiles.

If you care to dispute these stats, you need to take it up with the sources.

One last note on gentrification. The first wave of change in many currently gentrified neighborhoods was not white yuppies or hipsters. It was professional blacks who moved into those areas in the 90s when no one else wanted to live there. We were the catalyst of change and brought a level of community pride, business and home ownership, and safety. The rest followed. So if it's your desire to eliminate thugs and characteristically low class, ghetto people from your neighborhoods, you might want to embrace us instead of putting us down.
 
Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 AM
 
461 posts, read 1,125,573 times
Reputation: 309
Jordan...I said that to get under your skin which by the way I succeeded since you think black people are clean cut, humble, non-ghetto people who bother no one and mind their own business. Lol. I know the housing law inside out and as long as a landlord follows their rental criteria and apply it to every applicant, there is no issue and your claim of blacks being discriminated against are unfound and unprovable. That's the bottomline.

Did you know that you can deny an apartment to a smoker and it's not considered discrimination because smokers are NOT a protected class. Bet you didn't know that.

So if Raheem Jones comes to view an apartment and the landlord, manager or agent sees him finishing up his cigarrette before entering the building, they have a right to deny his application and disqualify him as a prospective tenant because he's a smoker not because he's black! But of coarse you gonna try to flip it and say it's because he's black.

Now let's take this a little step further. How many "ghetto" people are smokers and have that "addictive" personality? I would say more smokers than non smokers right? Oh BAM! Without me saying or doing anything more than half the "ghetto" applicants will disqualify themselves. Smoking is just one avenue you can take to disqualify ghetto people. You have credit score of 650 or better, previous evictions, criminal record, etc. All those are excellent tools to use to cleanse a building or neighborhood from ghetto people. And it's all LEGAL!!!! Landlords reading this...pay attention as I've just showed you how to legally cleanse your building/neighborhood from ghetto people trying to move in and mess it up for you and all the decent residents. Good luck!
 
Old 07-16-2010, 08:12 AM
 
191 posts, read 367,647 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Jordan...I said that to get under your skin which by the way I succeeded since you think black people are clean cut, humble, non-ghetto people who bother no one and mind their own business. Lol. I know the housing law inside out and as long as a landlord follows their rental criteria and apply it to every applicant, there is no issue and your claim of blacks being discriminated against are unfound and unprovable. That's the bottomline.

Did you know that you can deny an apartment to a smoker and it's not considered discrimination because smokers are NOT a protected class. Bet you didn't know that.

So if Raheem Jones comes to view an apartment and the landlord, manager or agent sees him finishing up his cigarrette before entering the building, they have a right to deny his application and disqualify him as a prospective tenant because he's a smoker not because he's black! But of coarse you gonna try to flip it and say it's because he's black.

Now let's take this a little step further. How many "ghetto" people are smokers and have that "addictive" personality? I would say more smokers than non smokers right? Oh BAM! Without me saying or doing anything more than half the "ghetto" applicants will disqualify themselves. Smoking is just one avenue you can take to disqualify ghetto people. You have credit score of 650 or better, previous evictions, criminal record, etc. All those are excellent tools to use to cleanse a building or neighborhood from ghetto people. And it's all LEGAL!!!! Landlords reading this...pay attention as I've just showed you how to legally cleanse your building/neighborhood from ghetto people trying to move in and mess it up for you and all the decent residents. Good luck!
WOW the guy just doesn't stop... Because all the Wall street people I work with that smoke outside the building are all GHETTO, right...Do you even ever leave the building you own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top