Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 11:19 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,330,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
I want yuppies to hit the Bronx but unfortunately for the Bronx, it is overwhelmly low income and overwhelmly NON-WHITE. What I mean is that the vast majority of the Bronx population are either black or latino and on welfare, section 8, HASA, work advantage, or some other type of public program. And as we all know, people on programs tend to be on the GHETTO side. Sad but true. That in itself is a deterant. The vibe the general public has of the Bronx is not a desirable one. The 1970´s Bronx stigma still exist today in outsider´s minds even though it is no longer like that.

Despite my desire for the Bronx to GENTRIFY in order to improve safety, quality of life and infastructure, the simple fact that the majority of Bronx residents are of the ¨ghetto¨type on some form of public assitance will always be the determining factor if Yuppies migrate to the Bronx or not. I´m sure it would feel pretty uncomfortable for a white person to move to the Bronx and be surrounded by blacks and latinos while you´re the only blonde hair, blue eye person in the neighborhood. Must be an ackward feeling don´t you think?
this person sounds racist? i guess this victor dude hasnt seen the ghetto italian young people who reside in morris park , or how about the albanian youths are just as ghetto as the black and hispanic groups in the bronx

yuppies have their neighborhoods and can come as they please. but all these people who want nyc to be yuppied up from head to toe are just a disgust and a disgrace to our city.

our city nyc became what it is today for the accomplishments we have made.

why would anyone want every single nabe in nyc to be yuppied out???? since when did yuppies become god and so much liked???

everytime i see a yuppie they usually look like they have no life walk very paranoid and always keep to themselves, and thats who we new yorkers are praising to now??? lmaooo o man you people kill me

Old 07-05-2010, 11:47 PM

47 posts, read 209,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Despite my desire for the Bronx to GENTRIFY in order to improve safety, quality of life and infastructure, the simple fact that the majority of Bronx residents are of the ¨ghetto¨type on some form of public assitance will always be the determining factor if Yuppies migrate to the Bronx or not. I´m sure it would feel pretty uncomfortable for a white person to move to the Bronx and be surrounded by blacks and latinos while you´re the only blonde hair, blue eye person in the neighborhood. Must be an ackward feeling don´t you think?
Some of you guys really need to get a clue. Where are you from? Do you really have any idea about what goes on in this city?

First, if "ghetto" will determine if yuppies migrate to any neighborhood, then they would have never landed in places like LES, WBurg, Bushwick, and Harlem. There are still plenty of "ghetto" people living in Harlem, but it hasn't stopped luxury development now has it.

What determines any person's migration to a neighborhood is necessity, no matter how "ghetto" it is. NYC is an opportunity city... if there's an opportunity you take it. I'm one of the few Blacks living in my complex in Brighton Beach; at first it was a bit awkward as I realized that I was truly part of the minority population down here, but I wasn't going to pass up on the opportunity of living in the apartment that I liked. The same thing with whites who moved into "ghetto" areas. Sure, they realized they were the only ones, but they found that thing (house, apartment, loft space, etc) that they couldn't find anywhere else so they took it.

There are many reasons why the Bronx hasn't been developed like other parts of the city and its not because of its "ghetto" population. I definitely know one reason is the proximity to midtown Manhattan. Its still too far for "yuppies". Second, the way the streets are laid out in that borough is crazy. Definitely not driver friendly. Third, the fact that there are highways criss-crossing the borough doesn't help its sell factor either. Many of the neighborhoods are cut in half by these highways so community aesthetic is difficult to establish.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:48 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,614,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
If anyone moves to a neighborhood and gentrifies it they are not welcome in my book.
gentrification does more bad then good in the long-term.
when no one buys or if they run out of money it usually becomes a drug den.
neighborhoods like astoria,bushwick,long island city,etc will suffer alot from this. many of these houses were drug dens to begin with.
Once the area is no longer "trendy" everyone will stop buying and those luxury condos will be abandoned or foreclosed on. The neighborhoods will be left worse than before.
And how do you know that will happened?? The recent gentrification is something new in the city. There hasn't been any studies that suggest that when they are gone, the neighborhood will become undesirable or that crime will rise. Maybe the middle class can actually come in and buy at the right price. If they are smart enough to invest. Actually I think if it weren't for the gentrifiers, places like williamsburg, Harlem, Long Island City and Astoria will probably be in decline (with rising crime) like it was happening in the 70's and the 80's.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:59 PM

47 posts, read 209,442 times
Once the area is no longer "trendy" everyone will stop buying and those luxury condos will be abandoned or foreclosed on. The neighborhoods will be left worse than before.

Actually that's not true. What will happen is that the price of these units will drop and become affordable to the people that want to live in that neighborhood. Only the "trendy" or short-term investment buyer will no longer be interested.

Maybe the middle class can actually come in and buy at the right price. If they are smart enough to invest. Actually I think if it weren't for the gentrifiers, places like williamsburg, Harlem, Long Island City and Astoria will probably be in decline (with rising crime) like it was happening in the 70's and the 80's.

Not gentrifiers, but people who want to stay and plant roots in those areas will save those places. That's what happened in Clinton Hill and my Mom is actually one of those people. She bought her co-op because she wanted to live there, not because she thought it would be worth twice what she paid for it in future years. People who stay AND invest in their community will make it better.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:17 AM

27 posts, read 90,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
And how do you know that will happened?? The recent gentrification is something new in the city. There hasn't been any studies that suggest that when they are gone, the neighborhood will become undesirable or that crime will rise. Maybe the middle class can actually come in and buy at the right price. If they are smart enough to invest. Actually I think if it weren't for the gentrifiers, places like williamsburg, Harlem, Long Island City and Astoria will probably be in decline (with rising crime) like it was happening in the 70's and the 80's.

In the long term

Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times
why would anybody want their borough to gentrify? you lose the culture of the area. your entire area as you know it will cease to exist.

old nyc >> new nyc on so many levels. yes the crime is lower but we lost a lot of character IMO.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:45 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,332,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
why would anybody want their borough to gentrify? you lose the culture of the area. your entire area as you know it will cease to exist.

old nyc >> new nyc on so many levels. yes the crime is lower but we lost a lot of character IMO.
I posted earlier how people stand to gain from gentrification.

1) If you own, stay put. Your property values will go up.
2) If you are poor and have a rent stabilized apartment, stay put.
3) If you live in the projects you will benefit from the surrounding change. For example, new "family friendly" amenities, such as green spaces, bike lanes, playgrounds, better schools, as well as bookstores, cafes, restaurants and bar/lounges (Consider what happened between 1990 - present in Astoria, LIC, Harlem, Williamsburg, Woodside/Sunnyside, Fort Greene).

Unfortunately, if you own a business it will be hard to stay put because commercial rents will rise. This is why Duane Reade or Starbucks replaced the candy store or the bagel shop. If anyone knows how to keep commercial rents down, please speak up!

As far as the vacant LIC luxury condos becoming drug dens -- not likely.

Remember, NYC is no longer the drug haven it was in the 1980-1990s. LIC is going to have so many units on the market once Hunters Point South is built that prices have to come down. Since LIC is huge, it will probably become several neighborhoods with distinct characteristics. The East River side will be the priciest. The Queens Plaza area will probably become more of a business district. Note: Gotham Center is almost finished. Hotels are proposed for that area as well. I see the areas to the north and south of Queens Plaza becoming a mix of middle income and industrial.

We'll see if I'm right in 10 years

Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,332,332 times
^^
One more thought -- neighborhoods in NYC gentrified for a number of reasons. Some neighborhoods were downright ghettos in the 80s and transformed completely while other nicer neighborhoods transformed because they had the coveted brownstones.

There are some areas that will probably never gentrify because they just don't have the basic amenities that the gentrifiers are looking for. IMO, ease of transportation will gentrify a low income area into a yuppie/hipster neighborhood (Williamsburg) but a two fare zone will prevent a middle class neighborhood (East Elmhurst) from transforming.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM

675 posts, read 1,250,826 times
Let me add that 'missing the old New York' days can also be attributed to a time when there wasnt a such thing as the World Wide Web or 500 stations on cable so the perception of NY was hyped to some degree by the media and Hollywood so we felt extra 'special'. Imagination over reality.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 PM

215 posts, read 659,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
My wife is a native New Yorker, and was living in Bay Ridge when I met her 10 years ago, and I remember as recently as the 1990's there still being a strong working/middle class presence in southern Brooklyn. Also I'm working/middle class myself; so I'm much more like the native New Yorkers I speak of than some 25 year old from the "midwest" whose parents are paying for their apartment in Williamsburg while they're attending NYU for their graduate degree.
What's southern Brooklyn got to do with the yuppies? Italian-Americans are leaving for the suburbs, and are being replaced by Asian and Latino immigrants. Again, how is it different from the entirety of the second half of the 20th century? This is what was happening to large swathes of Queens and Brooklyn in the pre-yuppie 60's and 70's.

So, again, who are you complaining about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City