Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times

Advertisements

One thing that really gets me down a bit about New York is how entrenched government assistance is in so many people's lives. I'm pretty much a liberal, but even I have to seriously hold my nose to watch the masses of people living on the dole and milking the system around here. I'm sure that's nothing too new though.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
SobroGuy, I can think of many. Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, Las Vegas, Los angeles, San Francisco, San Jose(awsome downtown, Satana Row, and other bunch of cool neighborhoods to go to). In New York City-just Midtown around Times Square, Upper Eastside, several neighborhoods in Lower Manhattan, particularly around union square N. of Houston St and S. of Houston Street., little Itali, Meat Packing district and Brookyn Heights in Brooklyn. Nothing else. I'v already included Grenwich Village/Soho by Houston st. N. and S. The girls in NYC are nothing like even the girls in Manteca, CA where they out number guys 9 to 1, and they're alot hotter. LA, as a whole, and San Francisco Bay destroy the entire 5 Boroughs of New York City. Other than Broadway theaters and Central Park and boring nightlife, it's offers nothing for me for more than 2hrs in the city. It can get boring really quick in New York. Everything from the Museum district to shopping are spread out. Their cultural facilities are overrated. Oh, don't hold me for not including West Village, Upper Westside and Tribeca since they're so small and insignificant. New York is an overrated and boring city, atleast for me. By the way, the best pizza is not in New York. It's in Phoenix Arizona. You can get exactly the same pizza in terms of quality and taste in Seattle, Denver and San Jose(Slice of New York or Brooklyn style, Rosie's). I was recently in New York city and couldn't wait to get out since I've seen it all. Walk on 38th-57th, all the same. They need to start building more decent, not bland residential or office, with exception of Times Square area, on the Westside of Midtown Manhattan. It needs alot more growth and improvements especially from 8th Ave west. Lots of fits and starts there and abandoned construction sites. Few highrises such as the New Hudson residential towers are kind of typical "slim and bland glass towers that are out of place because their are fewer towers there. Please don't pile up the garbage bags 6ft high every evening, and clean up the city.
I don't want to get off topic.

I can agree on west coast women they are better then nyc women imo. From my standpoint west coast women beat nyc women any day and at at least I lower my chances of not catching herpes or hiv or even paying child support, typical problems associated with dating, sex and life in this city.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:58 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,612 times
DC90 and Andez, yeah, I do mean that San Jose is way, way for fun than NYC because I just listed all the areas in NYC which is not much. San Jose has the Raging Waterpark, Great America theme park-(no amusement park in NYC, other than Coney's)-Winchester Mystery House, Tech Museum, Egyptian Museum, Satana Row-Eurostyle shopping/entertainment with upscale restaurants below $1-2 million condos and apartment(can't find that in NYC), cool downtown with all the big city amenities such as cool restaurants, clubs, art district, theaters and attractions-(in NYC, what downtown?-9/11 site and nothing else? Maybe cheap shopping on Canal St.), Los Gatos-a hip uptown shopping with all the rich chicks and Willow Glen, which is a quaint neighborhood with a cool bookstores, local shops and best italian deli that has homesyle ravioli. There are other hot areas in San Jose area like Palo Alto with its cute downtown and Stanford University and shopping center nearby and Mountain View's Downtown with all the Ethnic restaurants you can find from around the world. For nightlife- hit Downtown SJ for all the cool bars and clubs that brings all the cute diverse chics from Asia, Mexico, India, Russia, MiddleEast and Europe-*note:Lady Gaga and Ronny of Jersey Shores love the clubs there, then at 11pm head to Santana Row for all the posh bars with hot blond chics from LA and SF and the local area like Santa Cruz. After that by 12:30 if you want more, go to Campbell for all the local, mellow crowds at bars. If you can fit more into your plans, head to Los Gatos with all the cool upscale dive bars and neighborhood bars. Los Gatos has the prettiest chics of all the scene, but it's all white. DC90, check out San Jose before you mouth off about the city. It's world class and packed with everything to do. No, I'm not from Brooklyn or San Jose. However, I've been to all the cities above recently, and you haven't most likely. Like I said, New York is boring and lost its way. I partied in New York at some of its hottest clubs like 8(very esclusive club) and ate at its finest restaurants, but I was not impressed. Sorry.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:40 AM

27 posts, read 90,564 times
What are you guys talking about? yuppies have invaded this city. they are everywhere!
not just Manhattan. my area is now full of Midwestern transplants and luxury condos going for $700,000. This city is as boring as bland as Wichita,Kansas.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:48 AM

244 posts, read 568,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
DC90 and Andez, yeah, I do mean that San Jose is way, way for fun than NYC because I just listed all the areas in NYC which is not much. San Jose has the Raging Waterpark, Great America theme park-(no amusement park in NYC, other than Coney's)-Winchester Mystery House, Tech Museum, Egyptian Museum, Satana Row-Eurostyle shopping/entertainment with upscale restaurants below $1-2 million condos and apartment(can't find that in NYC), cool downtown with all the big city amenities such as cool restaurants, clubs, art district, theaters and attractions-(in NYC, what downtown?-9/11 site and nothing else? Maybe cheap shopping on Canal St.), Los Gatos-a hip uptown shopping with all the rich chicks and Willow Glen, which is a quaint neighborhood with a cool bookstores, local shops and best italian deli that has homesyle ravioli. There are other hot areas in San Jose area like Palo Alto with its cute downtown and Stanford University and shopping center nearby and Mountain View's Downtown with all the Ethnic restaurants you can find from around the world. For nightlife- hit Downtown SJ for all the cool bars and clubs that brings all the cute diverse chics from Asia, Mexico, India, Russia, MiddleEast and Europe-*note:Lady Gaga and Ronny of Jersey Shores love the clubs there, then at 11pm head to Santana Row for all the posh bars with hot blond chics from LA and SF and the local area like Santa Cruz. After that by 12:30 if you want more, go to Campbell for all the local, mellow crowds at bars. If you can fit more into your plans, head to Los Gatos with all the cool upscale dive bars and neighborhood bars. Los Gatos has the prettiest chics of all the scene, but it's all white. DC90, check out San Jose before you mouth off about the city. It's world class and packed with everything to do. No, I'm not from Brooklyn or San Jose. However, I've been to all the cities above recently, and you haven't most likely. Like I said, New York is boring and lost its way. I partied in New York at some of its hottest clubs like 8(very esclusive club) and ate at its finest restaurants, but I was not impressed. Sorry.

San Jose is the most laughably bland "large city" in the United States of America (which is why you never ever hear anyone mention San Jose)

I know you envy New Yorkers since you can't afford it, but you're delusions are absolutely ridiculous.

Why else would you be on the New York City forum, wasting your time trying to convince us how boring New York City is and how fun Podunk/San Jose/Orlando/Montgomery Alabama or whatever is? Enough said. I don't think you'd find anyone who agrees with such nonsense.

Santana Row, "posh"? Oh, you and your humor. 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue, SoHo, Meatpacking District, Tribeca (basically the entire island of Manhattan, really) make the allegedly "posh" Santana Row look like a low class bargain basement dump. Santana Row is basically a New Jersey shopping mall. The 3 or so floors alone of The Shops at the Time Warner Center alone eclipses anything you can find in the entire City of San Jose in terms of atmosphere and food.

.... because there are no cool bars in NYC. There are more bars in the East Village than there are in the entire San Jose area.

Los Gatos isn't in San Jose, if you want to go lumping the burbs into "San Jose", then yes NYC has amusement parks (who goes to Amusement Parks anyway?)

I highly doubt Lady Gaga or whoever celebrity you name dropped above would ever set foot in lame San Jose unless it was a stop on tour. Nobody of that caliber would waste time there. Where do those celebrities live? Oh yes in uncool and boring NYC.

I've been to San Jose and it was nothing short of a nightmare. The "scene" is nothing more than a bunch of tech geeks from India. How fabulous!..... NOT.

Last edited by DC90; 07-14-2010 at 03:04 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM

461 posts, read 2,000,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace View Post
What are you guys talking about? yuppies have invaded this city. they are everywhere!
not just Manhattan. my area is now full of Midwestern transplants and luxury condos going for $700,000. This city is as boring as bland as Wichita,Kansas.
So leave NY then! Yuppies ain't going nowhere and they have a right to live here and better the city. Leave if you don't like what NY is turning into...believe me, you won't be missed!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
So leave NY then! Yuppies ain't going nowhere and they have a right to live here and better the city. Leave if you don't like what NY is turning into...believe me, you won't be missed!
Are you a yuppie?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 AM

21 posts, read 56,692 times
One of the reasons why I'm moving to NYC is because of the young professionals... for me personally they have something that I would also like to obtain one day... a good living...even though its difficult at the moment since I work in fine arts, not to mention off a fresh start... but I enjoy the competition and the vibe, especially the feeling of urgency... coming into a huge urban metropolis, seeing how well off others are just makes me want to work my ass off.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM

461 posts, read 2,000,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Are you a yuppie?
Are you black who feels threaten by gentrification?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 17,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
There is some Romanticisim about the old New York, how dark and gritty it looks, about how seeing hard working men with thier toolbox going riding the subway compared to some hippie or yuppie holding a $tarbuck$ in his hand while riding the N train. Old New York is gone along with many great establishments such as CBGB which that establishment pioneered Punk Rock Movement. Its sad to see theathers and other establishments turn in to $tarbuck$ The only thing that survived old New York City was Hip Hop. NYC is a little better but still has a long way to go in terms of safety and quality of life, other cities like Toronto, Singapore and and Tokyo leap NYC in quality. To be honest NYC is just as Dyostopic as it was during the old gritty dark Gotham days. Sometimes looking out of my window towards the Manhattan skyline or visiting Times Square reminds me alot like Blade Runner, very dyostopic. At the moment NYC is no Utopia it will probably remain that way. I wonder what Jane Jacobs thinks about the current Gentrification of NYC?
Well said. As someone born and raised here, I understand the OP's sentiment and mourning the loss of the prevalence of multi-cultural flavors.

Wat I don't get is all the venom hurled at someone expressing their opinion. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City