Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:23 AM

154 posts, read 534,613 times

Advertisements

City Housing Projects Awarded Federal Stimulus Money - Gothamist

do you guys think that this is a good thing? or do you think this is a waste of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,778,676 times
The freaking "Stimulus Package" itself is a waste of money!

As far as the article, its an example of more tax dollars to support a poorly run and mismanaged local government agency. If anything the money s/b spent to provide employment training, to relocate public housing tenants, and to eliminate such failed urban renewal era housing.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,314,770 times
I somewhat agree with that statement jcoltrane. However until NYC decides to do something (anything) with the housing projects, isn't it better to at least keep them in good repair?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM

461 posts, read 1,995,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace09 View Post
City Housing Projects Awarded Federal Stimulus Money - Gothamist

do you guys think that this is a good thing? or do you think this is a waste of money?

A total waste of tax payer's money if you ask me. Why spend tax payer money to fix them up for it to be destroyed again be the very same people that live there?

How do you think it got that way to begin with? The tenants in the projects of coarse. Remember, they don't value anything since they didn't work for it. They could care less because any repairs are NOT on their dime. A complete waste of money.

If you want to spend money on the projects, spend it on the exterior by increasing the curb appeal of those ugly red buildings. Landscaping, removal of grafitti, clean sidwalks, anything visual from the outside to give the perception that it is not a ghetto place.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM

Victor your anger towards poor people, specifically poor people of color, has been noted. I get it...you don't like them. Are you just going to continually bash them on every comment, or do you have anything useful to say besides "I hate ghetto people, NYC needs to exterminate them all."

Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 PM

33,394 posts, read 46,819,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
A total waste of tax payer's money if you ask me. Why spend tax payer money to fix them up for it to be destroyed again be the very same people that live there?

How do you think it got that way to begin with? The tenants in the projects of coarse. Remember, they don't value anything since they didn't work for it. They could care less because any repairs are NOT on their dime. A complete waste of money.

If you want to spend money on the projects, spend it on the exterior by increasing the curb appeal of those ugly red buildings. Landscaping, removal of grafitti, clean sidwalks, anything visual from the outside to give the perception that it is not a ghetto place.
the article specifically quotes that most of the money is going toward facades, roofs, heating systems, elevators, and other issues. the only thing on that list that i could see the tenants maybe being at fault for are the elevators due to horseplay. the other issues are caused by natural age of the building, which the tenants would have nothing to do with.

Fact Sheet - New York City Housing Authority

according to NYCHA stats, 66% percent of NYCHA buildings are at least 40 years old. so its naive to expect these buildings, or any other building, to have the same appearance of when it was built 40 years ago, unless the building is properly maintained.

to expand on your theory that since "they" dont work, "they" dont value anything, there is less incentive for a renter in general to have as much value in a property as the owner. this is not an excuse to deface, or not take care of the property, but this is common sense, whether the tenant is one of NYCHA's, or even the property you manage. the problem lies within the class of the individual, making it an isolated problem.

I would rather see NYCHA geared more towards providing housing for people employed by the City.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 03-17-2010 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,837,610 times
I agree with SeventhFloor's statements concerning the age of the buildings and need for maintenance.

My concern would be who is going to get these contracts. This type of construction project will be city wide and will probably go on for years. There has to be young people that are interested in the skilled trades that actually live in these developements. Some probably attend vocational HS's and community colleges and are currently learning these trades. I hope that some type of apprentice program also goes in place that will hire these young people, and hone their skills along side some of the experienced skilled trades people.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:48 PM

That's an excellent comment DAS...and brings up an interesting point. I have no idea whether it will be locally sourced, but from what history has shown, it never is.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 PM

461 posts, read 1,995,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
to expand on your theory that since "they" dont work, "they" dont value anything, there is less incentive for a renter in general to have as much value in a property as the owner. this is not an excuse to deface, or not take care of the property, but this is common sense, whether the tenant is one of NYCHA's, or even the property you manage. the problem lies within the class of the individual, making it an isolated problem.

I would rather see NYCHA geared more towards providing housing for people employed by the City.

SeventhFloor, you said it right and that's exactly what I meant to say. Difference is I'm more direct and blunt with my response which appears to be kind of bashing but I'm not. I'm just putting people on blast and calling them as I see them. Anyways, its the CLASS of the individual NOT race just like you said Seventh and in MY opinion that class falls under the "ghetto" class regardless of skin color. Now can you see why I'm not to fond of this class... can't have nothing nice without them messing it up.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,538,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I agree with SeventhFloor's statements concerning the age of the buildings and need for maintenance.

My concern would be who is going to get these contracts. This type of construction project will be city wide and will probably go on for years. There has to be young people that are interested in the skilled trades that actually live in these developements. Some probably attend vocational HS's and community colleges and are currently learning these trades. I hope that some type of apprentice program also goes in place that will hire these young people, and hone their skills along side some of the experienced skilled trades people.
Already covered: Resident Employment Services - New York City Housing Authority (http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycha/html/community/res_employ.shtml#ca - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City