Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:41 AM

32 posts, read 69,391 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

--Last time I asked this the topic was locked---but I'd still like some feedback--

I know this topic has brought up before here but I simply cannot find the info I'm looking for.
I live in a TINY 180 square foot apt in the village.
My wife and I have lived here for 20 years.
It's a rent stabilized apt (under 800$/monthly). Those that aren't pay $2000+.
The landlord offered us $25,000 last year not to renew our lease but we said no.
We are in the process of buying a home out of state and would like for them to buy us out now.
How do I do it?
I know if they find out we are leaving they wont give us anything.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Hound your landlord about little things that might need work, and jokingingly bring it up- see if anything goes.

Or say you've considered the idea about moving out of state, but are short about $30K on your dream home. You're still saving so you might be out in 3-4 years. See if he makes an offer that might work out for you.

On a personal note though, I think it's crazy and completely unfair that some people can pay $800 for an apt, while others have to pay $2000 for the same place. Ridiculous policies hurt new renters so much.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:08 PM

I thought about doing that.
But I wonder if they are aware of that method.
There are plenty of repairs that need to be made- and I do intend to be a thorn in the side of my mgmt company.
Another question...
Is there some sort of formula they use to determine how much money they legally can offer?

Old 07-04-2010, 12:12 PM

55 posts, read 255,457 times
Just mention that you've thought about the offer for the past year and that you changed your mind and are willing to do the deal. He can't read your mind and know that you plan on moving out anyway. He may lower his offer but you can try and negotiate it back up.

BTW are you a masochist or a troll? You know last time you posted this question a lot of posters got pissed off about the ethics of extracting money from the landlord. I don't see any problem with what you are doing but what annoys me is that you're posting your question again. Call the landlord today and get it over with already!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Im aware of what happened last time I posted this.
Those opinions that were posted about what I'm trying to do are not my problem.
I could care less what the ethical opinions of people are when it comes to my wallet.

And no, I won't be telling my landlord anything.
Thats a sure fire way for me not to get anything.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:26 PM

55 posts, read 255,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Hound your landlord about little things that might need work, and jokingingly bring it up- see if anything goes.

Or say you've considered the idea about moving out of state, but are short about $30K on your dream home. You're still saving so you might be out in 3-4 years. See if he makes an offer that might work out for you.

On a personal note though, I think it's crazy and completely unfair that some people can pay $800 for an apt, while others have to pay $2000 for the same place. Ridiculous policies hurt new renters so much.
It also hurts new homebuyers in surrounding areas like NJ because the rent vs buying decision really gets skewed in favor of homebuying thereby driving up demand for homebuying even further.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,327,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington22 View Post
Greetings!

--Last time I asked this the topic was locked---but I'd still like some feedback--

I know this topic has brought up before here but I simply cannot find the info I'm looking for.
I live in a TINY 180 square foot apt in the village.
My wife and I have lived here for 20 years.
It's a rent stabilized apt (under 800$/monthly). Those that aren't pay $2000+.
The landlord offered us $25,000 last year not to renew our lease but we said no.
We are in the process of buying a home out of state and would like for them to buy us out now.
How do I do it?
I know if they find out we are leaving they wont give us anything.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
I'm not surprised at your lack of ethics and greediness......as you said, when it comes to your wallet, anything goes....
What's sickening is that there are others here who advise you on how to come up with a better trick and improve your scheming.

It's disgusting. And it's yet another indication of how sick the system is.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:15 PM

The landlord OFFERED me the money.
I said no.
Now I want to say yes.
What's the big deal?
THEY OFFERED.
How do u not understand that?
THEY OFFERED.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,445,513 times
Quote:
The landlord OFFERED me the money.
I said no.
Now I want to say yes.
What's the big deal?
THEY OFFERED.
How do u not understand that?
THEY OFFERED.
When is your lease up for renewal again? I would wait until closer to that date and then tell the LL you will take 30K to not renew. Tell him you and your wife want to leave NYC but just don't have the money to do so and you can't find another apartment for what you're paying now so, if you can't get the money to move, you're just going to stay put for another 20 years.

I don't think you're "entitled" to anything but, hey, if he offered, there's no reason for you not to take.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:35 PM

979 posts, read 4,446,723 times
Quote:
Is there some sort of formula they use to determine how much money they legally can offer?
There's no legal limit. It's not illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City