U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2010, 07:24 PM
 
116 posts, read 293,557 times
Reputation: 94

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
Cmon, I walk around the hood all the time at midnight.
everyone minds there own business. people who live there arent animals who pray on people who come through there.
Would you have a reason to kill a random person? No, so why should they?
I practically live in Washington heights and stay there all night sometimes.
As long as you don't look like a target you wont be a target. He only makes 40k a year so he should be looking in a cheap neighborhood.
All im saying is bad neighborhoods(south bronx,uptown,east new york,jamaica,etc) are not as bad as you make them out to be. People arent murdered for no reason like people seem to think. People arent raped or harassed for no reason unless you dont "fit" in(white yuppie,hipster).
If you dont "fit" in you might be called things like white ***** or something else and you are more likely to be a victim of crime then if you were to be dressing or acting like you know what you are doing.
I don't disagree with the majority of your point, most 'bad' neighborhoods aren't all bad, any more than 'good' neighborhoods are all good. However, I would argue, strenuosly, that being raped or harassed for not "fitting in" is, in fact, no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2010, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Where the sun always shines
1,866 posts, read 2,414,971 times
Reputation: 3376
Quote:
Originally Posted by famresident View Post
This does not make much sense to me. A bad neighborhood does not need a murder a day to earn its reputation. Other uncontrolled activities like noise and wild street plays can easily ruin your day.
You know what, as Ive gotten older Ive just learned not to argue certain points. Theres a reason that high crime neighborhoods stay populated with renters. Some people will just talk themselves into staying somewhere either out of ignorance, youth, an inability to lift themselves financially,or b/c they don't know the difference. The best thing u can do is move somewhere that is "legitmately" peaceful and quiet and wait for everybody else to catch up.
Any person who thinks that a ENY, Washington Heights, South Bronx ect... is on par with a Brooklyn Heights, Forrest Hills or Rego park is just talking for the sake of talking.
As u said, it doesnt take a murder a day to make a place a bad neighborhood but some folks dont get that for whatever reason. To those people I say Godspeed and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 11:11 AM
 
88 posts, read 222,711 times
Reputation: 40
Think about your kids and how they will live amungst the uneducated and poor. how thu will attend some of the worst public schools in the country. Your basically settinf that child up for failure while living in the south Bronx, bed study etc. I grew up in the south BRONX between 80 and 2010, we fit right in win he culture and my father was a "og". My mother was robbed, I was robbed, my little sister was robbed at 13 all by gunpoint. I have been in many neighborbood fights ans also in school. its an aggressive way of living. My family is well know in the neighborhood... but junkies and younger thugs don't give a ****. ghetto areas are getting much much better...But In Mott haven during the summer, even in 2013, you will hear gunshots multiple times per week. Period. The ghetto culture is absorbing and its really hard for kids to become someone and move out when all of the peers want to stay in and do the dirt. There is a huge anti-education culture that tends to stay with people for life. Ive been to over 25 funerals To gun and gang violence. Don't be an idiot Move out of the city if you can. You will be doing your children a moral injustice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
 
23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Reputation: 8529
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
You know what, as Ive gotten older Ive just learned not to argue certain points. Theres a reason that high crime neighborhoods stay populated with renters. Some people will just talk themselves into staying somewhere either out of ignorance, youth, an inability to lift themselves financially,or b/c they don't know the difference. The best thing u can do is move somewhere that is "legitmately" peaceful and quiet and wait for everybody else to catch up.
Any person who thinks that a ENY, Washington Heights, South Bronx ect... is on par with a Brooklyn Heights, Forrest Hills or Rego park is just talking for the sake of talking.
As u said, it doesnt take a murder a day to make a place a bad neighborhood but some folks dont get that for whatever reason. To those people I say Godspeed and move on.
Washington Heights is not a terrible bad or dangerous neighborhood. To a lot of people, the presence of blacks or hispanics makes a neighborhood "BAD".

East New York is rough, its where they dump a lot of welfare people and people who just got out of jail in governmental housing. But Washington Heights is mainly working class class to middle class people. And by the way, there are co ops in the Heights, not everyone there is a renter.

South Bronx is rough because they again concentrated a lot of housing projects there, so its like East New York.

I don't think a child is set up for failure from being born into Bedstuy or South Bronx. I've known kids that who came from these neighborhoods who graduated from not just schools like CUNY, but even from the Ivy League . Sonia Sotomayor is from the South Bronx, and look at her now, on the Supreme Court.

You can do just fine if you're born in a poor neighborhood. The main things are don't get knocked up as a teenager (anyone get birth control), don't do anything illegal, and do your work in school. Don't hang out in the streets (increases chances that things will happen to you) and stay away from illegal drugs. Use good judgement as to who you associate with, and you will be fine.

When I lived in Bedstuy, there were people I spoke too and was friends with. But I avoided those who hung out in the streets or who obviously went to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Hi everyone,

Here's my question: In my current job I make 45K anuallly, and I am able to put at least 1K in my savings account each month. I currently live in a rented apartment in Bay Ridge in Brooklyn (1200/month + bills) but I really don't like it and want to leave as soon as my lease expires in April 2011. I would really like to live in a nice place, a house or condo, but don't know if I can afford it. I like it in Brooklyn and Manhattan is just too much for me and I don't think I can afford it anyway. Are there any affordable good housing option for me that won't make me broke in a good area in Brooklyn ?


I was looking into buying a home (yea, I know ) and based on online calculators I can't afford to buy anything that's worth more than $150,000...I have no debts, but I just don't make as much at my job. I just wanted to post here and see what you guys think.

Thanks!
There are a lot of purchasing opportunities for people around your income.
Check the HPD web site, sign up for notifications, and look into HDFCs. Units in those buildings come up all of the time, and in different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post
ghetto areas are getting much much better....
Around here, most people think that things are getting worse - hopefully, before they get better. Which could be the case, I suppose. Many of us are dreading this summer.

By "most people," I mean people who actually live here, not the "armchair" theorizers who quote statistics and whatever else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

I don't think a child is set up for failure from being born into Bedstuy or South Bronx. I've known kids that who came from these neighborhoods who graduated from not just schools like CUNY, but even from the Ivy League . Sonia Sotomayor is from the South Bronx, and look at her now, on the Supreme Court.
Keep in mind - of course the exceptional, who could be from any class, do well. The challenge is that in the "developing" areas, you are living with everyone else and they are the majority.

I mean, how many people are actually exceptional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 PM
 
23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Reputation: 8529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Keep in mind - of course the exceptional, who could be from any class, do well. The challenge is that in the "developing" areas, you are living with everyone else and they are the majority.

I mean, how many people are actually exceptional.
You have plenty of people in Washington Heights who have jobs. Most are working class. Working people from these neighborhoods are not exceptional.

Getting into a top university is comparatively rare even in places like Forest Hills.

To do well in these places, again, use good judgement, do not do drugs, get knocked up at a young age, and don't hang out in the streets. That is entirely the choice of the individual to do.

And by the way, you do have drugs everywhere, and I've known MD's to lose their license to practice medicine because of drugs. And they were living in good neighborhoods. No place is problem free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM
 
23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Reputation: 8529
A lot of the white people hating on places like Washington Heights or Spanish Harlem can't even afford to live there themselves.

A lot more white people are poor than they care to admit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Bronx
14,779 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Reputation: 7508
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Washington Heights is not a terrible bad or dangerous neighborhood. To a lot of people, the presence of blacks or hispanics makes a neighborhood "BAD".

East New York is rough, its where they dump a lot of welfare people and people who just got out of jail in governmental housing. But Washington Heights is mainly working class class to middle class people. And by the way, there are co ops in the Heights, not everyone there is a renter.

South Bronx is rough because they again concentrated a lot of housing projects there, so its like East New York.

I don't think a child is set up for failure from being born into Bedstuy or South Bronx. I've known kids that who came from these neighborhoods who graduated from not just schools like CUNY, but even from the Ivy League . Sonia Sotomayor is from the South Bronx, and look at her now, on the Supreme Court.

You can do just fine if you're born in a poor neighborhood. The main things are don't get knocked up as a teenager (anyone get birth control), don't do anything illegal, and do your work in school. Don't hang out in the streets (increases chances that things will happen to you) and stay away from illegal drugs. Use good judgement as to who you associate with, and you will be fine.

When I lived in Bedstuy, there were people I spoke too and was friends with. But I avoided those who hung out in the streets or who obviously went to jail.
I agree with this, no one is not set up to failure, or not determined to fail, all people who live in poor areas like middle class and rich areas have free will, make your choices wisely. South Bronx was always rough even before it had housing projects, in reality you cant have people stacked up upon each other which causes to much density in the area and friction with others. But yes indeed you dont have to be poor and be set up for failure and I'm an example of that as well as others who live in these hoods that I know with, AA, BA and MA degrees. Sad thing is that many succesful people who live in these poor areas end up moving out and not investing in them. No one wants to take risks and be like Majora Carter. Well said my friend, gonna rep you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top