Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 PM

128 posts, read 249,108 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Here's my question: In my current job I make 45K anuallly, and I am able to put at least 1K in my savings account each month. I currently live in a rented apartment in Bay Ridge in Brooklyn (1200/month + bills) but I really don't like it and want to leave as soon as my lease expires in April 2011. I would really like to live in a nice place, a house or condo, but don't know if I can afford it. I like it in Brooklyn and Manhattan is just too much for me and I don't think I can afford it anyway. Are there any affordable good housing option for me that won't make me broke in a good area in Brooklyn ?

I was looking into buying a home (yea, I know ) and based on online calculators I can't afford to buy anything that's worth more than $150,000...I have no debts, but I just don't make as much at my job. I just wanted to post here and see what you guys think.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 02:12 PM

196 posts, read 776,908 times
You can check out these condos in Brooklyn ,its in the East New York section but its worth checking out Brooklyn's Largest, Most Affordable Condominium Development!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:19 PM

128 posts, read 249,108 times
Thank you, edricann, for a suggestion.

My grandmother actually lives in that area and so I get to be there a lot. It's not a bad looking area but I don't know I want to live in there given how much crime happens in there. It's just not that safe and I won't be comfortable coming home very late at night.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:39 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,331,512 times
I know that you stated Brooklyn but this co-op is in a nice neighborhood in Queens and in your price range. Just consider Queens, you'll have more options.
Holliswood Gardens 1 Bdrm Co-op (http://www.prudentialelliman.com/Listings.aspx?ListingID=2273953&rentalperiod=&Sear chType=apartments&Region=NYC - broken link)

Old 07-04-2010, 04:46 PM

127 posts, read 505,441 times
$150,000 wont get much in a "nice" area of brooklyn at all.
why is everyone so afraid of neighborhoods like bed-stuy or east new york?
If you're not a drug dealer/gang member and you dont look like a target you will be fine.
I go to neighborhoods like Washington heights (181 st)every few days to see my family and I walk around at 1 in the morning and nothing happens to me.
There are obviously lots of drugs but even the "good" neighborhoods have a drug trade.
Once I was driving around upper manhattan and yes,people were making drug sales in the open.
So what? You will find that in almost any neighborhood not heavily patrolled from police.
Just because East New York is not rich does not make it bad.
Youre not to rich either.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,288,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
$150,000 wont get much in a "nice" area of brooklyn at all.
why is everyone so afraid of neighborhoods like bed-stuy or east new york?
If you're not a drug dealer/gang member and you dont look like a target you will be fine.
Just because East New York is not rich does not make it bad.
Youre not to rich either.
Are u saying that nothing happens to innocent people in the hood? Thats the point of staying out of a hood, its hard to just mind your business without being bothered in some way. Something could happen to u anywhere but theres something called "lowering ur odds".
East NY has a rep for a reason. There are soldiers who have survived about 500 days in Afghanistan, does that make it safe?

To the OP, u honestly shouldnt even be looking for a house/condo while making 45k. Especially in NYC, its just not feasible. Most homeowners in NYC nowadays fall into the following categories
1-2 incomes in the house (Husband/Wife-Relatives)
2-1 person has 2 jobs or a personal income of 80k+
3- They bought the house a lonnnng time ago
4-They inherited the house from someone
U might find something in a crappy neighborhood, but do u really wanna live around crap while making a 20 year/30 year investment. Then when something does actually happen, u cant just move out.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:54 AM

127 posts, read 505,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Are u saying that nothing happens to innocent people in the hood? Thats the point of staying out of a hood, its hard to just mind your business without being bothered in some way. Something could happen to u anywhere but theres something called "lowering ur odds".
East NY has a rep for a reason. There are soldiers who have survived about 500 days in Afghanistan, does that make it safe?

To the OP, u honestly shouldnt even be looking for a house/condo while making 45k. Especially in NYC, its just not feasible. Most homeowners in NYC nowadays fall into the following categories
1-2 incomes in the house (Husband/Wife-Relatives)
2-1 person has 2 jobs or a personal income of 80k+
3- They bought the house a lonnnng time ago
4-They inherited the house from someone
U might find something in a crappy neighborhood, but do u really wanna live around crap while making a 20 year/30 year investment. Then when something does actually happen, u cant just move out.
Cmon, I walk around the hood all the time at midnight.
everyone minds there own business. people who live there arent animals who pray on people who come through there.
Would you have a reason to kill a random person? No, so why should they?
I practically live in Washington heights and stay there all night sometimes.
As long as you don't look like a target you wont be a target. He only makes 40k a year so he should be looking in a cheap neighborhood.
All im saying is bad neighborhoods(south bronx,uptown,east new york,jamaica,etc) are not as bad as you make them out to be. People arent murdered for no reason like people seem to think. People arent raped or harassed for no reason unless you dont "fit" in(white yuppie,hipster).
If you dont "fit" in you might be called things like white ***** or something else and you are more likely to be a victim of crime then if you were to be dressing or acting like you know what you are doing.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:10 PM

963 posts, read 2,293,818 times
Quote:
everyone minds there own business. people who live there arent animals who pray on people who come through there . . .
Cainanomar, You provide one of the few voices on this forum that isn't tainted by irrational fear. I happen to agree. Most working class and 'poor' neighborhoods are populated with people who simply go to work and raise families like everyone else. Is there more street crime? Yes. But the vast majority of people there are no different from those making ten times their income. We fall into the stereotypical habit of dismissing entire communities for the excesses of a few. Wealthy kids get in plenty of trouble too and buy and sell drugs. They just don't get arrested. It still amazes me that in a city as diverse and cultured as NYC most of us still know so little about our neighbors beyond the caricatures played out in the media.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,010 times
Been in ENY 45 years and I agree, it's not what people seem to think. Working class people, bigger properties and lot sizes, kids keeping it live, trees, etc. Just like any other neighborhood, we have crime but atleast we have a police presence to deter it. ENY is close to all highways and mass transportation into NYC...a great asset to those who can get past the stereotype.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:56 PM

36 posts, read 153,658 times
Quote:
everyone minds there own business. people who live there arent animals who pray on people who come through there.
Would you have a reason to kill a random person? No, so why should they?
I practically live in Washington heights and stay there all night sometimes.
As long as you don't look like a target you wont be a target. He only makes 40k a year so he should be looking in a cheap neighborhood.
All im saying is bad neighborhoods(south bronx,uptown,east new york,jamaica,etc) are not as bad as you make them out to be. People arent murdered for no reason like people seem to think. People arent raped or harassed for no reason unless you dont "fit" in(white yuppie,hipster).
If you dont "fit" in you might be called things like white ***** or something else and you are more likely to be a victim of crime then if you were to be dressing or acting like you know what you are doing.
This does not make much sense to me. A bad neighborhood does not need a murder a day to earn its reputation. Other uncontrolled activities like noise and wild street plays can easily ruin your day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City