Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:21 PM

16 posts, read 116,280 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

Before we do into this full throttle,

A little background on me. 29 years old, male, white, jewish/italian decent. Born and Raised, and currently live in Brooklyn New York.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why the majority of folks on this board and in real life that I encounter, truly dislke the yuppies.

Here me out on this. For starters, I am not a yuppie, but I have what some may call "yuppie traits"... I make over 100k a year, I have a house in literally the wealthiest part of brooklyn (not saying where), and I am well educated and successful in life. I appreciate the finer things in life, but they do not make me better than anyone here.

1. Yes the yuppies have a bit of a "nose in the air" attitude... Very true, they look down upon the rest, but if you are half way intelligent, they will treat you as equal. Let's face facts folks... we may not like their choices and lifestyles, but they are living the life.

2. Ok, yes They are a bit way into the whole artsy fartsy thing... I appreicate fine art, but I don't pop a boner when I see a painting or sculpture and I do not look down upon the rest if they cant, so call "appreciate the work." Still, who cares.

Those are truly my only two gripes with them, but I would rather have them around me, bringin up proerty value, having crime drop to 0% and actually affording my children the oppurutnity to get a "real education" in public school w/o having to worrya bout getting their lunch money taken away or beaten up, and rather then having to send them to private school (which is actually worse from a educational standpoint then public school.

I do visit park slope and the rest of that "section" of brooklyn, so I see them in action most of the times.

OK folks, so blast the cap open on this volcano. Please enlighten me on why they are so damn hated.
Thanks!
D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 AM

319 posts, read 493,727 times
To me, it's like having some random guy coming into your home, crashing on your couch, stretching out his feet, and acting like he pays the rent.

lol

Old 06-21-2007, 07:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
The thing with yuppies is that when they come into a neighborhood, they drive up the price for everything. They also tend to make neighborhoods very boring.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:59 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,652 times
Mostly #1 is the real reason. I am also 29/white from Queens & live in Flushing. I only make just under $80,000 not the 'over $100,000' & year that is necessary to be successful in NYC these days or as the NY Times said a few months ago $200,000 is the new $100,000 since the majority of NY'ers make $100,000.

You used to be able to do well on a middle class salary of $50,000 - $75,000 a year here and who knows how all these midwest transplants are able to pay $3,000 a month for Williamsburg or Greenpoint.

It mostly is the fact that prices are being driven up for everyone especially if you are not making that six figure salary plus you have to deal with autocratic co-op & condo boards should you ever decide that you want to buy one of these co-ops which were once rent stabilized apartments but never updated.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:00 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The thing with yuppies is that when they come into a neighborhood, they drive up the price for everything. They also tend to make neighborhoods very boring.
More like this shallow, consumerist attitude that is sickening plus the obession with 'things' & 'labels' plus this obsession & lust for trends or whatever NY Magazine or the Times says is the latest trend with neighborhoods or restaurants.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:06 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
More like this shallow, consumerist attitude that is sickening plus the obession with 'things' & 'labels' plus this obsession & lust for trends or whatever NY Magazine or the Times says is the latest trend with neighborhoods or restaurants.

Nick..I have to ask..why do you hate life so much? Your posts are alwasy so pity partyish? Between the mommie paying for everything, the consumerism attitude or the label obession...you truly sound unhappy (and I mean that seriously).

Why not kick your feet up my friend...life is too short to be unhappy..have a pina colada....go to the beach and just chill out on the weekend!?

Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsleftofbrooklyn View Post
Hi guys!

Before we do into this full throttle,

A little background on me. 29 years old, male, white, jewish/italian decent. Born and Raised, and currently live in Brooklyn New York.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why the majority of folks on this board and in real life that I encounter, truly dislke the yuppies.

Here me out on this. For starters, I am not a yuppie, but I have what some may call "yuppie traits"... I make over 100k a year, I have a house in literally the wealthiest part of brooklyn (not saying where), and I am well educated and successful in life. I appreciate the finer things in life, but they do not make me better than anyone here.

1. Yes the yuppies have a bit of a "nose in the air" attitude... Very true, they look down upon the rest, but if you are half way intelligent, they will treat you as equal. Let's face facts folks... we may not like their choices and lifestyles, but they are living the life.

2. Ok, yes They are a bit way into the whole artsy fartsy thing... I appreicate fine art, but I don't pop a boner when I see a painting or sculpture and I do not look down upon the rest if they cant, so call "appreciate the work." Still, who cares.

Those are truly my only two gripes with them, but I would rather have them around me, bringin up proerty value, having crime drop to 0% and actually affording my children the oppurutnity to get a "real education" in public school w/o having to worrya bout getting their lunch money taken away or beaten up, and rather then having to send them to private school (which is actually worse from a educational standpoint then public school.

I do visit park slope and the rest of that "section" of brooklyn, so I see them in action most of the times.

OK folks, so blast the cap open on this volcano. Please enlighten me on why they are so damn hated.
Thanks!
D
I have no problem being labeled upper class.. I have and dh have learned from awesome upbringing and make no bones about it about the lifestyle we live..the choices we made in life...the colleges that we attended, the careers that we both chose etc etc etc.

If I am labeled as materialistic because I drive an SUV or my dh drives a merc
S500 so what...we live WITHIN (actually below our means) so we can afford some of the few finer things in life that have been worked so hard for.

I think everyone has the right to enjoy their life...even if it mean being a little frivolous(within reason of course).

Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,072 times
I think people have this image of yuppies.

YouTube - NightFlight yuppie rap

When I saw this post I guess sheep came to mind first.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:53 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Raise the damn rent, destroy the culture in neighborhoods (when I go to Chinatown I want to see Asians...), and they are too ignorant of the problems in many neighborhoods in the city.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,715 times
People who hate yuppies are jealous of them. Many NYers don't remember the 1970s and therefore think crime/decline either doesn't exist or is a joke. People forget there's a lot worse than "Yuppies" that could be invading the "hood".

Some think they're all white (PS: Not true), so there's the race set. Some hate the fact they're wealthy. And others just have truly miserable lives so they ***** about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City