U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,094,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
overwhelmingly black? are you serious right now? there are like a grand total of 5 black ppl in queens at any given time.

its like me, an old lady...maybe a jamaican dude, i dunno are the only black ppl on the train. seems like all the black ppl are in bk or something...

i never see black ppl on the e, f, 7 or r trains.
everybody is from central america/mexico or india/pakistan/china.
I never really ventured into Queens, but from what I've noticed this is the case in basically all of the bronx, brooklyn, and northern manhattan... and it's blatently obvious.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,642,922 times
This sort of movement towards the suburbs and beyond has been happening since the Dutch inhabited NYC. The most recent immigrants have a tendency to locate themselves within the city so what you are seeing is the newest wave of whoever is coming here.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,647,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I never really ventured into Queens, but from what I've noticed this is the case in basically all of the bronx, brooklyn, and northern manhattan... and it's blatently obvious.
It doesn't sound like you spent much time in The Bronx either.
If you went to Riverdale you would have seen that it is an overwhelmingly Jewish neighborhood.If you spent any time in Morris Park,Pelham Bay and the eastern part of Pelham Parkway you would have seen that those areas are still overwhelmingly Italian... well over 60%.
The Italian restaurant and business area around Williamsbridge Road between Morris park Avenue and Pelham Parkway hasn't really changed much at all since the 90's.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,656,207 times
Whites (including Jews and Italians) tend to either become rich and live in Manhattan/brownstone Brooklyn or leave the city. The Jewish population is declining compared to historical levels, but it is still quite high. They just live in different areas. The Jews in the boroughs tend to be Hasidic or Ultra-Orthodox. They live in tight communities for religious reasons.

There are fewer and fewer working-class whites in the city, but I think that's true in every city. If you're white and working-class and you have more options in cheaper housing market.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:02 PM

731 posts, read 1,790,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It doesn't sound like you spent much time in The Bronx either.
If you went to Riverdale you would have seen that it is an overwhelmingly Jewish neighborhood.If you spent any time in Morris Park,Pelham Bay and the eastern part of Pelham Parkway you would have seen that those areas are still overwhelmingly Italian... well over 60%.
The Italian restaurant and business area around Williamsbridge Road between Morris park Avenue and Pelham Parkway hasn't really changed much at all since the 90's.
Italians are pretty strong in the East Bronx, but their population is slowly declining as the foreclosure crisis, increasing cost of living in the city, and cheaper homes in the suburbs allow Italians to move to points north of the City. In their place, another group of urban ethnic Catholics have replaced them, the Puerto Ricans, mainly in Westchester Square, Pelham Parkway, Pelham Bay, and slowly in Throggs Neck and Morris Park. Most of the Puerto Ricans moving in are second-to-third-generation Puerto Rican-Americans, mainly born from the late 60s to the late 80s in the South Bronx, young enough to remember the worst moments of the South Bronx such as the Crack epidemic and the frequent arson fires in apartment buildings.

As for Riverdale, the Jews have kept that area on lock. However, it can't be the same in Norwood, Pelham Parkway, and Van Cortlandt Village as Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and Albanians have replaced them since most of the Jews in those three neighborhoods have passed on.

On another note, Italians are also moving in parts of Queens. In Middle Village, Ridgewood, Glendale, and Maspeth, Polish are the main group replacing the Italians as gentrification has pushed most Poles out of Greenpoint. However, in those same areas, there are pockets of Latinos (mainly in Ridgewood) and Asians (in South Elmhurst, around Calamus Avenue) settling into those areas as well.

Whereas Jews are mostly gone in the Bronx outside of Riverdale, the same can't be said in Southern Brooklyn as the presence of Russians (mainly from former Soviet states of Eastern Europe such as Ukraine and Belarus) are replacing Italians in Bay Ridge and fortifying the Jewish presence in Sheepshead Bay and Midwood as well as in parts of Queens such as Forest Hills, Hillcrest, and Kew Gardens.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,456,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually on the weekends you see many black people on the E/F trains going to the last stops on lines in Jamaica, Queens.
there are hardly any black ppl around 179th st tho and very few around jamaica center. 179th, 169th and parsons are all overwhelmingly predominantly indian/pakistani areas.

you can get on at 179th and ride to manhattan and be one of 4 black ppl MAX in a train car. maybe in bk the f gets a steady flow of black ppl but definitely not in queens.

i'm convinced that all the black ppl that are around jamaica av just teleport from somewhere else for a few hours before teleporting back to wherever they came from.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:31 PM

217 posts, read 572,409 times
Subpar housing and awful schools. No one's being pushed out, paranoid conspiracy theory aside. It's just that life in the suburbs is far better for the working/middle class than life in Brooklyn/Queens. The general nastiness of southern Brooklyn's real estate all but assures that it will soon enough be devoid of any reasonably coherent Americans.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,375,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I just recently came back from a trip to NYC, I have not been to the city since the early 90's, but the city has changed A LOT. I recall plenty of ethnic Italian neighborhoods in several (if not a majority) in the Bronx and especially Brooklyn. The recent visit in which I paid about 2 weeks ago really posed the question.. where the hell have the Italians gone? It seems like these neighborhoods are overwhelmingly Black and Latino (PR, Mexican, Central American). I was riding the R line into Brooklyn late one night and the only language spoken on the train was Spanish. It's a real shock to me since I remember this city being something COMPLETELY different in the early nineties compared to this day. I must have seen less than 10 Jews during my entire trip, the city seems overwhelmingly black nowadays. I am not trying to be racist, just pointing out what i've picked up. (Being the only non black person on a full train in east harlem really makes me wonder ... ) Where have the italians and the jews gone, and why were they pushed out in such a short amount of time?

I know this post will gain much flack, but i'm just looking for some insight here. It doesn't seem like New York anymore.
jews are all over nyc , i live in a jew area(midwood), and crown heights still has its jewish areas.

williamsburg still has its huge jewish area and so does far rockaway by mott ave, and some area in the northwestern part of the bx, a good number of jews in Washington heights also.

as for your r train comment , the reason you saw spanish being spoken was because mos to those hispanics reside in sunset park , maybe a few in bay ridge.

but bay ridge is a very white area with italians and irish people and theirs a good number of arabs their also. as for italians dyker heights is italiano to the bone, so is howard beach.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:20 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,375,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
overwhelmingly black? are you serious right now? there are like a grand total of 5 black ppl in queens at any given time.

its like me, an old lady...maybe a jamaican dude, i dunno are the only black ppl on the train. seems like all the black ppl are in bk or something...

i never see black ppl on the e, f, 7 or r trains.
everybody is from central america/mexico or india/pakistan/china.
you never seen black people on the E, AND F TRAINS?

i think you were on the E, AND F TRAINS in another state.

are you aware that the e and f trains both make stops and their last stops in jamaica queens??? as a matter of fact the E, J, Z trains basically make their last 2 stops in the hood right next to york college and south jamaica houses.

now ill agree wit you on the 7 train even though you will see a black person in every 7 train just that asians, south asians and central american and Caribbean Hispanics make up the majority.

but no blacks on the e, and f trains, now thats a joke lol.

but anywho most blacks in queens live in southeast queens which basically is a suburb in my opinion and is not by any trains.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:22 PM

9,833 posts, read 21,516,740 times
Nobody has been pushed out of anywhere.

Also In fact if anything the city has less Black people now. That is statistically proven and has been ongoing. There have however been increases in the Latin and Asian communities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or