U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2010, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,361,946 times
Reputation: 1567

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
there are hardly any black ppl around 179th st tho and very few around jamaica center. 179th, 169th and parsons are all overwhelmingly predominantly indian/pakistani areas.

you can get on at 179th and ride to manhattan and be one of 4 black ppl MAX in a train car. maybe in bk the f gets a steady flow of black ppl but definitely not in queens.

i'm convinced that all the black ppl that are around jamaica av just teleport from somewhere else for a few hours before teleporting back to wherever they came from.
this person does not live in nyc obviously, did you just say their are barely any black people by Jamaica center???

what the hell

black people make up the huge majority of people in the street when you get of the e, j , and z trains at the last 2 stops , same as the f train by 169 and 179.

and lets put the immigrant factor in this observation.

the top 4 immigrant nations that make up jamaica are jamaica, guyana , haiti , and trinidad.

last time i check except guyana. jamaica, haiti , and t n t are majority black countries.

 
Old 07-06-2010, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,361,946 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Nobody has been pushed out of anywhere.

Also In fact if anything the city has less Black people now. That is statistically proven and has been ongoing. There have however been increases in the Latin and Asian communities...
overall yes but the west african and black caribbean communities are growing also.

i notice alot of people tend to blame gentrification and yuppies of replacing blacks, but people completely ignore the black immigrants who are also replacing black americans in these areas.

bed stuy never had so much west indians then it did just 10 years ago, and when you go to harlem now it feels more west African/Caribbean then black american in my opinion when looking at the businesses on the street.
 
Old 07-06-2010, 07:27 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,450,056 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
you never seen black people on the E, AND F TRAINS?

i think you were on the E, AND F TRAINS in another state.

are you aware that the e and f trains both make stops and their last stops in jamaica queens??? as a matter of fact the E, J, Z trains basically make their last 2 stops in the hood right next to york college and south jamaica houses.

now ill agree wit you on the 7 train even though you will see a black person in every 7 train just that asians, south asians and central american and Caribbean Hispanics make up the majority.

but no blacks on the e, and f trains, now thats a joke lol.

but anywho most blacks in queens live in southeast queens which basically is a suburb in my opinion and is not by any trains.
i live in jamaica queens and i am telling you that the majority of ppl here are indian, central american/mexican and pakistani.

i live very close to 169th st so i know what i'm talking about. i don't venture passed 179th because there's no reason for me to do that but black ppl are not coming in droves to 179th st, 169th, parsons or sutphin to take the f.

this is 2010 we're talking about.

i guess all the black ppl live in eastern queens "in the boonies" then cuz they definitely aren't around the rest of jamaica, flushing, forrest hills, jackson heights, etc.
 
Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,832 posts, read 21,495,289 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
overall yes but the west african and black caribbean communities are growing also.

i notice alot of people tend to blame gentrification and yuppies of replacing blacks, but people completely ignore the black immigrants who are also replacing black americans in these areas.

bed stuy never had so much west indians then it did just 10 years ago, and when you go to harlem now it feels more west African/Caribbean then black american in my opinion when looking at the businesses on the street.
African yes there have been increases but relatively modest ones, Caribbean no...but then again a lot of the neighborhoods that had the most trouble getting counted in this census and last were African and Caribbean nabes so who knows...
 
Old 07-06-2010, 07:33 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,450,056 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
overall yes but the west african and black caribbean communities are growing also.

i notice alot of people tend to blame gentrification and yuppies of replacing blacks, but people completely ignore the black immigrants who are also replacing black americans in these areas.

bed stuy never had so much west indians then it did just 10 years ago, and when you go to harlem now it feels more west African/Caribbean then black american in my opinion when looking at the businesses on the street.
IMHO the city has an increasing asian population and an increasing latino population but its all central american or mexican. i don't see this increase of west indian blacks you're talking about, either. there has been a definite decrease here in jamaica.

off topic but black ownership (business related) is underrated.

i don't want to get into a debate about this, really...but i just don't see black africans/black latinos/haitians/etc. replacing african americans here.

you walk in any business here and its owned by an indian or pakistani. you walk around and you see places owned by mexicans (or central americans). you see 0 black owned businesses.

i think thats a problem. nobody to blame but us IMO.

but you're talking about bk tho, so thats a lil different.

we don't own any of the apartments here.
we don't own any of the businesses here.
nothing.

you walk around and you don't even see black ppl like that til you get around jamaica av...
anywhere else and its like 99.9% indian/pakistani/mexican.

maybe all those black ppl on the av are from eastern queens or something...cuz they not taking the train like that. i do not see a lot of black ppl on the f and when i do take the e i don't see a lot of black ppl at all...and i get on at the last stop for the E in queens, so...

and usually get on at the next to last stop on the f in queens.

Last edited by eek; 07-06-2010 at 07:52 PM..
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,296 posts, read 4,512,244 times
Reputation: 1082
The remaining black Americans in Queens mostly live in SE Queens and if they are traveling to Manhattan for work, they would generally take the E, F, J and Z trains. Some (like I did when I lived there) take the express buses or the LIRR because the bus + subway commute is just awful. BTW, the percentage of black Americans has dropped significantly since the 80s and our replacements are from Africa and the English speaking Caribbean. You will find black Americans scattered about the City, though. Young professionals like Harlem, Bed Stuy, Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights, Crown and Fort Greene. SEQueens is more family-oriented.
 
Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,361,946 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i live in jamaica queens and i am telling you that the majority of ppl here are indian, central american/mexican and pakistani.

i live very close to 169th st so i know what i'm talking about. i don't venture passed 179th because there's no reason for me to do that but black ppl are not coming in droves to 179th st, 169th, parsons or sutphin to take the f.

this is 2010 we're talking about.

i guess all the black ppl live in eastern queens "in the boonies" then cuz they definitely aren't around the rest of jamaica, flushing, forrest hills, jackson heights, etc.
wow i find that hard to beleive i was on guy r brewer 2 week ago driving and all i saw was black people all over the streets, me and my friend went to jamaican the week before thaton foot, and jamaica ave was almost entirely black with a huge hispanic presence also.

the only indian looking people i saw were Guyanese people(who are both black and indian).

but im sure if Jamaica really had this indian , bengladish population you speak of it would show on the top 10 immigrants in the area in which it doesn't lol.
 
Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,361,946 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMHO the city has an increasing asian population and an increasing latino population but its all central american or mexican. i don't see this increase of west indian blacks you're talking about, either. there has been a definite decrease here in jamaica.

off topic but black ownership (business related) is underrated.

i don't want to get into a debate about this, really...but i just don't see black africans/black latinos/haitians/etc. replacing african americans here.

you walk in any business here and its owned by an indian or pakistani. you walk around and you see places owned by mexicans (or central americans). you see 0 black owned businesses.

i think thats a problem. nobody to blame but us IMO.

but you're talking about bk tho, so thats a lil different.

we don't own any of the apartments here.
we don't own any of the businesses here.
nothing.

you walk around and you don't even see black ppl like that til you get around jamaica av...
anywhere else and its like 99.9% indian/pakistani/mexican.

maybe all those black ppl on the av are from eastern queens or something...cuz they not taking the train like that. i do not see a lot of black ppl on the f and when i do take the e i don't see a lot of black ppl at all...and i get on at the last stop for the E in queens, so...

and usually get on at the next to last stop on the f in queens.
jamaica is not mostly paki anyone who drives in the area will see this is not true at all.

i can agree with central american and hispanics, but pakis and indians nope.
 
Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 PM
 
330 posts, read 583,478 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I must have seen less than 10 Jews during my entire trip, the city seems overwhelmingly black nowadays.
Really? So you can tell a person is Jewish just by looking at them?
 
Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,361,946 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMHO the city has an increasing asian population and an increasing latino population but its all central american or mexican. i don't see this increase of west indian blacks you're talking about, either. there has been a definite decrease here in jamaica.

off topic but black ownership (business related) is underrated.

i don't want to get into a debate about this, really...but i just don't see black africans/black latinos/haitians/etc. replacing african americans here.

you walk in any business here and its owned by an indian or pakistani. you walk around and you see places owned by mexicans (or central americans). you see 0 black owned businesses.

i think thats a problem. nobody to blame but us IMO.

but you're talking about bk tho, so thats a lil different.

we don't own any of the apartments here.
we don't own any of the businesses here.
nothing.

you walk around and you don't even see black ppl like that til you get around jamaica av...
anywhere else and its like 99.9% indian/pakistani/mexican.

maybe all those black ppl on the av are from eastern queens or something...cuz they not taking the train like that. i do not see a lot of black ppl on the f and when i do take the e i don't see a lot of black ppl at all...and i get on at the last stop for the E in queens, so...

and usually get on at the next to last stop on the f in queens.
you dont see any black people on the last stop of the e train

i think this person does not live in ny and listens to to much 50 cent.

i will go on the e train right now at 1 am and i bet you all the passesngers on the train will be black.

i took the j train to the last stop last week , and if you live in queens you know the e/j share the same last stop and the train was mostly black and hispanic with the indian looking guyanese people.

this person is an impostor hahahahahahhahah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top