U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 AM

244 posts, read 376,132 times
Default Bored and Tired of living in DC want to move to NYC

I currently live in the DC metro area and am tired and bored of living here. I visit NYC as often as I can and love it there...the people arefriendlier, the energy is amazing and so much more interesting things to do. DC people suck and is overrated for the cost of living. I can’t seem to run into regular people in DC and in generally I seem to run into 4 kinds of people all the time in this town.

Moderator cut: Copying another poster without quoting

I work for the Federal Government and want to relocate really bad...any thoughts?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-08-2010 at 09:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 AM
grant516

n/a posts
The better you get to know people in any big city and the fall into very similar categories.
Visiting and Living places yeild very different experiences.

If you want to move, make the move.

Generally working for the Feds might make it easier if you're in DC.
Most people on here first question about money if you're considering moving into NYC, especially Manhattan.

Washington is expensive, but New York beats it hands down.

IMHO though, I wouldn't move to New York City for the quality of people.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM

Anyone else? Aslo I hate the singles scene in DC...it sucks big time. So does the nightlife. Thats one of my biggest reasons to wanting to move.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 AM

149 posts, read 179,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
I currently live in the DC metro area and am tired and bored of living here. I visit NYC as often as I can and love it there...the people arefriendlier, the energy is amazing and so much more interesting things to do. DC people suck and is overrated for the cost of living. I can’t seem to run into regular people in DC and in generally I seem to run into 4 kinds of people all the time in this town.

Moderator cut: Copying another poster without quoting

I work for the Federal Government and want to relocate really bad...any thoughts?
You sound like a whiner. That's likely the problem.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-08-2010 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 AM

9,440 posts, read 7,147,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLux2010 View Post
You sound like a whiner. That's likely the problem.
lol

Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 AM

No not whiner. Lots of people in the same boat as me hate DC.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:30 PM

3,947 posts, read 4,564,852 times
Quote:
... there's hardly any interracial couples who are not middle class and up and are from DC.
New York probably isn't what you want either. Both New York and DC are dominated by transplanted upper-middle-class professionals and have large numbers of poor minorities (whom you describe as "ghetto"). These cities attract the elite and their populations are more similar than they are different.

Perhaps someplace like Atlanta or Houston? Those cities provide more opportunities to the aspirational working/middle class and have a much lower cost of living.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:18 PM

149 posts, read 179,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
New York probably isn't what you want either. Both New York and DC are dominated by transplanted upper-middle-class professionals and have large numbers of poor minorities (whom you describe as "ghetto"). These cities attract the elite and their populations are more similar than they are different.

Perhaps someplace like Atlanta or Houston? Those cities provide more opportunities to the aspirational working/middle class and have a much lower cost of living.
I was a little peaved by the ghetto comment but was too lax to address it. I didn't realize people sought out interracial relationships-but I don't know that Atlanta or Houston would be better for that. Funny thing is, I was in some DMV suburb a few years ago and i saw TONS of IR couples that appeared to be working class. columbia MD I think. Mostly Black guys with White women (or they were the most noticable) but I thought the town was chartered for it or something.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLux2010 View Post
I was a little peaved by the ghetto comment but was too lax to address it. I didn't realize people sought out interracial relationships-but I don't know that Atlanta or Houston would be better for that. Funny thing is, I was in some DMV suburb a few years ago and i saw TONS of IR couples that appeared to be working class. columbia MD I think. Mostly Black guys with White women (or they were the most noticable) but I thought the town was chartered for it or something.
DC still sux bigtime. Manhattan prices for cr@ppy living.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:13 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
DC still sux bigtime. Manhattan prices for cr@ppy living.
I don't think you have a real grasp of what Manhattan prices are if you're comparing DC to them.

How much money do you make, and can your job transfer you? If you're making anything less than 65K, I don't think you'll find any quality of life in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City