Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM

14 posts, read 30,616 times

Advertisements

which line is the fastest to commute to queens to citifield for work?
trying to decide where to live in manhattan and whether i should try to live by the E, F, or the 7 for the fastest commute. or any other suggestions? prefer not to live uptown.

am i right to assume there is no express trains because doing the reverse commute during rush hour?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 PM

88 posts, read 509,131 times
not sure what your question is here. are you trying to get to citifield? only the 7 train will bring you to citifield. i guess that is your fastest and only option

Old 07-07-2010, 11:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,011,907 times
If you are willing to transfer, you can transfer at Roosevelt Ave/74th St in Queens. So, for example, if you lived at 53rd and Lexington in Manhattan, you could take the E train 3 stops (it runs express) to Roosevelt Ave and switch to the 7 train.

But the transfer is not an easy one - the trains run on completely different tracks.

So I think you are probably better off taking the 7 train all the way.

Have you looked at tripadvisor on the MTA site and at hopstop for transit times? Also, just sitting down to look at the subway map for 10 minutes might help you get a sense of where the lines are and where they intersect.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,276,313 times
Quote:
which line is the fastest to commute to queens to citifield for work?
7 train.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,331,890 times
7 train is direct, no transfers.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:37 PM

according to hopstop, it is faster for me to take the E or F line and switch to the 7, because there are less stops on those lines. so a stop that is close to the F line for example takes about 40 mins according to hopstop, where as a stop by grand central takes 55 minutes.

i understand the direct is easier, but i do remember how many stops there are on the 7 before citifield and i won't be able to take the express for the reverse commute, so i was wondering if in you guys' experiences, do you recommend transfering or just taking the 7 all the way? even though hopstop's suggested route is E or F

Old 07-08-2010, 01:48 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,468,621 times
If you're going to rely on hopstop to tell you which lines you should be taking, all you're going to accomplish is frustrating yourself.

Here's a radical suggestion (I know, I know; I'll probably get raked over the coals for this. But what the hell!) Try one way. Then try another. You can even try a third. Whichever line or combination of lines works best for you, use it! The others are always there as backups.

You asked about getting to Citifield. The only line with a stop there is the #7. So all the other stuff is just academic. No matter what combination of lines you try, you're going to wind up on the #7. So the easiest thing to do is take it directly there, and you won't have to make any transfers. Get the "7 diamond," which runs express in Queens, and it'll be even faster.

You do know that I'm a tower operator with MTA, right? If I live to be a hundred, I'll never figure out why someone would ask anyone else what's the "best way" to get anywhere in the city. Look at the map, see which lines go there, and voila! If you're still not sure, get on the train and experiment. Other people might look at things differently than you do. What works for them might not work for you.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM

i would love to experiment but as an out of towner, i dont have that much time between researching and looking for apartments. so while i would love to sit on the subway all freakin day, i am turning to native nyers for help.

i thought the 7 express only goes from queens to manhattan during rush hour, not the other way around?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 PM

46 posts, read 165,697 times
You're right about that. With a reverse commute, you'll only get local 7 trains.

The transfer at Roosevelt involves 4-5 minutes of walking up/down stairs and escalators - not sure if HopStop accounts for that.

How about living somewhere along the 7 train, but between Manhattan and Willets Pt?

E.g. Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,468,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmetsfan View Post
i thought the 7 express only goes from queens to manhattan during rush hour, not the other way around?
No, the 7 express runs for six or seven hours every weekday in the direction of peak traffic. In the mornings it runs from Flushing to Times Square, and in the afternoons from Times Square to Flushing.

And when the Mets are at home, there are always extra trains in service before and after games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City