U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,089 times

Advertisements

Hi me and a friend are hoping to come to new York for about a week some time soon. We have found a hotel on long island city which has good reviews and seems very nice but it is really cheap (not a bad thing!) anyway being from England the obvious stereotype is that queens isn't very safe but I was just wondering If you could tell me if it's safe or not a nice place? Thankyou!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 03:38 AM

2,005 posts, read 4,272,823 times
Default criminal feeding frenzy on foreigns marks

Some parts of L.I.C. are just old-school working class but other parts -especially near the Queensbridge projects or prostitution strolls near there- are hardcore slum where tourists from England-especially the pasty kind- will be preyed upon like falcons feasting on field mice.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,513,138 times
Stay in one of the hotels on Queens Blvd. There are two near La Guardia Community College where you'll have no problems.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 AM

541 posts, read 1,669,692 times
The Holiday Inn, Days Inn and La Quinta are all cheap and safe.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 PM

447 posts, read 1,332,765 times
Queensbridge houses in LIC is one of the worst slums in New York.
Avoid it and you'll be fine.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 PM

343 posts, read 895,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblesuk View Post
Hi me and a friend are hoping to come to new York for about a week some time soon. We have found a hotel on long island city which has good reviews and seems very nice but it is really cheap (not a bad thing!) anyway being from England the obvious stereotype is that queens isn't very safe but I was just wondering If you could tell me if it's safe or not a nice place? Thankyou!
Where is it in Long Island City.. and Is it near the train? The only hotels im thinkin of in LIC is one right by the bridge with that rooftop pool, and the best Western by the LIE.

If it's not by the train, it shouldn't be an option. Walking around there at night is a gamble.

If it's near queensbridge (north of queens plaza north) by the F train, I would think twice. Even tho the train station is pretty busy and used by pretty much all walks of life, it's smack dab in the middle of the housing complex. It's not incredibly shady like it use to be, but it's no cake walk either....otherwise the hipsters wouldn't be walking around as freely as they do now.

BTW, Queens is the 2nd Safest Boro in NYC, next to Staten Island.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,648,723 times
Pay close attention to train service changes on weekends. They're always doing a lot of track work on Queens trains and service is frequently disrupted.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:05 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,129,528 times
The hotels in LIC are mostly near 33rd street so I don't know why all these people are saying to avoid Queensbridge when I highly doubt the poster will even be anywhere near there. Also, I laughed at the "Queens is unsafe" stereotype... really? Who says that in the world? I think most people don't even know where or what Queens is..

Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,765,629 times
I stayed about 3 blocks from the 21st and Queensbridge (the F train), the area looks a little run down, but I dont think you are in a ton of danger.

Here is what nobody has told you. That area is full of tourists coming from the string of hotels in LI City (there are 5 or 6), plus the people that work at the hotels, PLUS LI City seems to be the NYC Taxi Cab parking lot of choice, so the roads are half clogged with cabs from about 5:30am to 9 or 10 pm every day of the week.

In addition, the 21 and Queensbridge is not in the dead center of the housing complex, its actually on the edge (21st street forms its western bord). The actual station often has people standing outside of it selling stuff, but I never saw a prostitute or anyone who appeared to be in a gang. On the other side of 21st is a bunch of what appears to be warehouses, and there are a few retail shops. There are a couple of restaurants right there that are very cheap (one seems to serve primarily pizza, and the other specializes in Latin Foods) , and my fiance loved the food.

Im not naive enough to believe that it doesnt exist in the housing project, but on the other hand, Im not sure that there is a real problem with being hassled either. Id say, if you are taking the train in, just dont take it at crazy hours. If you come back late, come by cab, and you wont have to worry about. Dont go wondering through the projects, and I think youll be fine.

I was worried when I first heard how close to the Queensbridge projects I was going to be staying, but after the first day, I wasnt really concerned at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City