U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 AM

6 posts, read 35,239 times

Advertisements

please help

i got a violation from building department, for "parking a car on side yard" it is outside of my garage, everyone on the block does the same, the only difference is that my garage door on the side, not the same direction as my front door, i have metal fence, and i park the car inside my fence, outisde of my garage, but not blocking garage, is it illegal even park the car inside my own property?

anyone from DOB, ECB or lawyer can let me know?

what should i do now? please help
violation infraction code: B283
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 AM

20,892 posts, read 22,671,095 times
Do you have a vehicle with commercial plates? Research ZR25-41.

Any commercial vehicle parked in a residential district shall be owned and/or operated only by the occupant of the dwelling unit at which it is parked.

NYC Department of Buildings - ECB Violation Reference Guides (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/violations/ecbviorefguide.shtml - broken link)

Old 07-08-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Do you have a vehicle with commercial plates? Research ZR25-41.

Any commercial vehicle parked in a residential district shall be owned and/or operated only by the occupant of the dwelling unit at which it is parked.

NYC Department of Buildings - ECB Violation Reference Guides (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/violations/ecbviorefguide.shtml - broken link)
thanks for reply

no, it is not commercial plate, it is private car but not under my name due to expensive insurance,

you are right, on the violation, it says infraction code B283, and provision of law ZR25-41

i got some advices that convert the drive way/side yard into legal parking space, but dont know how much it will cost and how much tax will go up

if everyone in queens parking their cars like that, any chance i can fight the violation?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
Is the car registered to the address, and I assume it's registered in New York State? If not, that could be the source of your problem.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 AM

1,810 posts, read 6,199,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyq123 View Post
please help

i got a violation from building department, for "parking a car on side yard" it is outside of my garage, everyone on the block does the same, the only difference is that my garage door on the side, not the same direction as my front door, i have metal fence, and i park the car inside my fence, outisde of my garage, but not blocking garage, is it illegal even park the car inside my own property?

anyone from DOB, ECB or lawyer can let me know?

what should i do now? please help
violation infraction code: B283
If the curb cut was legal(done with a permit)then I see no reason why you can't park your car on the side. My neighbors house has no garage,on the side he put down cement and parks 2-3 cars. Driveway is on the same side as where he parks his cars. He has a metal fence with a gate surrounding his side yard.

I have seen cars parked in FRONT of the house,they converted a garden into a cement driveway. Did your neighbors get a violation also? Had to be one of them who reported you to the buildings dept.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Is the car registered to the address, and I assume it's registered in New York State? If not, that could be the source of your problem.
yes, the car is registered in NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
If the curb cut was legal(done with a permit)then I see no reason why you can't park your car on the side. My neighbors house has no garage,on the side he put down cement and parks 2-3 cars. Driveway is on the same side as where he parks his cars. He has a metal fence with a gate surrounding his side yard.

I have seen cars parked in FRONT of the house,they converted a garden into a cement driveway. Did your neighbors get a violation also? Had to be one of them who reported you to the buildings dept.
i dont think all neighbors got violation, i walk down the black, there are many cars park on the drive way, front space, side yard etc

any way to fight it? or can i hire someone to make the space legal parking lot?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:08 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,199,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyq123 View Post
yes, the car is registered in NY

i dont think all neighbors got violation, i walk down the black, there are many cars park on the drive way, front space, side yard etc

any way to fight it? or can i hire someone to make the space legal parking lot?
B283,Class 2. That is an $800.00 penalty so you have to fight it. A lawyer is going to cost more then that probably. Let us know how it turns out,good luck.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 AM

What is written in the notice of violation box?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
What is written in the notice of violation box?
it says: "parking regulation in a residential district: storage and parking of a vehicle(plate) in the side yard"

remedy: parking code/discontinue the illegal storage and parking

Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Zoning Text - New York City Department of City Planning

More reading. Article II fits your criteria. Chapter 3 may answer your questions. Basically it says you cant park in a side yard if you have a front/rear yard. What I wonder is which neighbor called it in? Since usually they go to construction sites or commercial areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or