U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 13,190 times

Advertisements

Hi--

My teaching certificate is about to expire and I really need to talk to a human about it, but I am having serious issues with NYSED in that respect. Every time that I call the OTI, I get an automated menu that says that phone staff is limited and to go online for certification issues, but press "5" if you have to speak with someone. The next message says that staff is busy and to press 1 to go back to the first menu or else you will be disconnected!! Do I have to keep calling back until they don't disconnect me, or is there another alternative? I have already emailed twice in the last month to no avail...

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 04:50 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,632,656 times
If I were you I would get my asf to the education department in person ASAP instead of wasting time with emails and phone calls.If you need to talk to a human ,present yourself in person. Someone will have to deal with you.
If you let your certification expire it will be a bigger mess.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 10,653 times
If you call first thing in the morning (9am), and be persistent about going from automated to representative, back and forth, eventually you should get someone on the phone. It's frustrating, I know!! Also, I believe you can apply to extend your certification online, although I don't know how long that will take (I've been waiting a month so far).

I do NOT recommend going up there personally. I did that once many years ago, and NO one would see me. Didn't matter that I drove 3 hours to get up there. They won't see you. That's been my experience, and I'd love to hear if anyone has driven up there and got a person to talk to you.

Good luck, I understand your frustration.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 13,190 times
Hi,

Thanks for your advice, SP. I did as you said and went back and forth until I got a "please hold" message. I waited for about 30 minutes (!!!) but finally got a person. They dealt with my issue within 2 minutes, and they are sending me my certificate in the mail. Big relief!

Thanks again.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,786 times
Thumbs down i completely agree

I am dealing with the same thing now. It is so ridiculous. All I want is to ask a human some questions. It's very disheartening. This should show everyone why the government should not be involved in education.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,518,386 times
Albany has literally like 2 staffers who deal with OTI. They desperately need more, however some districts deal with certification issues (DOE / BOCES, etc).

I'd rather go direct with Albany, and they absolutely need to increase their workforce in the summer months.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,543,660 times
funny i was just going to post a question regarding continuing ed locations for social workers (as of 1/1/15 social workers have to take an hour per month of continuing ed)

I was on the phone today with NYSED social work boards and they told me they can't recommend a course location in my area and to check back with them soon and maybe soon they will have some locations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City