U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 08:08 AM

41 posts, read 88,324 times

Advertisements

Hello NYC!

I am going to the US open in September and I am only staying two days. One day will be spent at the open and one day will be doing the tourist thing.

I want to stay at places that are around $300-$400 a night. Looking at reviews some hotels although may have a famous name attached to them are a little "dated" and not really worth the premium prices. Most of the day will be spent out and just want a CLEAN comfortable bed for the night.

Can you give me some suggestions?

Thanks,
John in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,652,208 times
Most of the big chain hotels (Sheraton, Marriot, Hyatt, etc.) are a bit old and dated. I wouldn't stay in them unless you're part of an awards program and can get a good deal. If you want a mainline chain, the best are the W (various locations) and the Westin. The rooms in the Westin are quite nice, but it's right on 42nd Street.

The newer hotels tend to be stand-alone boutiques or boutique chains (like Thompson, the Ace or the Standard).

What are your interests? Do you have a particular part of town in mind?

If it's your first visit I would recommend something like the W, Union Square. Union Square is bustling and the real New York experience, without the craziness of Times Square. It's very central and within walking distance to the Village. It also has great subway access. If you're doing tourist things, it's useful to be on the R train which runs through most of the major tourist destinations from Central Park to Wall Street via Times Square, Herald Square, the Astor Place, SoHo, Chinatown, etc. If you're going to the Open you want to take the 6 train to Grand Central to get the Long Island Rail Road to Flushing. Union Square has direct access to both subway lines.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 07-08-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 AM

902 posts, read 1,973,661 times
Here's one you might want to try.

I stayed there right after 9/11 when the city's hotels cut rates to get tourism back up so it was within my budget back then.

It's a small quaint and cozy hotel, the room was beautiful and bathroom had marble floors with florentine tiles. It has a small bar/restaurant right off the lobby.

Manhattan Hotels - The Avalon Hotel - Hotels in Manhattan, NY

Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM

11,676 posts, read 21,250,268 times
The Warwick Hotel on 6th Avenue & West 54th Street!!

Rooms are $350-ish/ night for a bigger room (not suite). William Randolph Hearst built the hotel in the 1920's so he & his mistress could entertain their friends while in NYC.

It is across the street from the Museum of Modern Art, a block from Rockefeller City/ Radio City Music Hall, close to Times Square & Theatre district without being in it, 1 block from the storied Fifth Avenue shopping, and my favorite- a lovely 5 block walk to Central Park!

Also, conviently located in Midtown to get out to the US Open.

My other suggestion if you can get a good price is the Essex House on Central Park South (West 59th Street). Totally renovated in the past 2 years and you cannot beat the view out onto Central Park from a high-floor room. Heavenly!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City