U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,685 times

Advertisements

What the hell is up with NYC cyclists? The go up the street the wrong way, never stop at a red light, will blast through pedestrians at full speed - then hurl abuse at you if you are deemed to be an impediment to their progress! Got to wonder if they ever have to walk anywhere themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 12:44 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,731,202 times
And you can say the exact same thing about drivers in cars. They're supposed to have licenses...that is to say, legitimately obtained licenses. But you know as well as I do, that's not true for all of 'em.

Not to excuse the behavior of bicyclists. They should get ticketed the same way a driver does. (Sometimes they ride on sidewalks--which can be fairly dangerous to pedestrians).

Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,280,927 times
They're idiots.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:39 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,311,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenNY234 View Post
What the hell is up with NYC cyclists? The go up the street the wrong way, never stop at a red light, will blast through pedestrians at full speed - then hurl abuse at you if you are deemed to be an impediment to their progress! Got to wonder if they ever have to walk anywhere themselves?
They are WORKING! Not out for a Sunday ride in the park.

I presume those you describe to be bicycle messengers, paid to move packages from point A to point B---as quickly as possible. They get paid for each job---more jobs, more money. Time is money.

So, while you're just strolling along, they're trying to pay the rent.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:40 AM

50 posts, read 219,257 times
Well thats a bit harsh. Just because you are out to "pay rent" it does not mean you have to run over people everytime. Yes time is money but you also have to take people around you into consideration and don't run over them.

And what you mean about drivers who dont have legitimately obtained licenses? I never heard this. You mean to say some drivers in NYC posses fake driver licenses?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,653,683 times
Yesterday I was hit (albeit slowly, but hit nonetheless) by a cyclist while standing on the sidewalk. I was furious and told her to get off the sidewalk. She yelled back for me to get off the street. This obviously made no sense as I wasn't in the street, but she wasn't interested in logic.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 PM

142 posts, read 360,903 times
While driving, a biker yelled at us for making our turn too tight. The biker then ran a red light.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,203,482 times
The worst kind of cyclists in my opinion are the ones who think they are in the Tour de France, wearing what the pros do from head to toe. They ride on any kind of road,they dare you to hit them. While at a red light they will do their little 360's until the light changes,they are nothing more then show offs. Aggressive cycling should be a punishable offense.

On Long Island some cyclists ride at night with dark
clothing on,and you can't see them until the last second.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:52 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,351,556 times
Whenever I see threads like these I feel obliged to point out that the actual problem is that there are too few designated bike lanes.

The streets are made for cars and the sidewalks are made for people. Having bikes share the street with cars is an imperfect solution.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:54 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
They are WORKING! Not out for a Sunday ride in the park.

I presume those you describe to be bicycle messengers, paid to move packages from point A to point B---as quickly as possible. They get paid for each job---more jobs, more money. Time is money.

So, while you're just strolling along, they're trying to pay the rent.
Most of those bike messengers are either insane or druggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City