Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:37 PM

65 posts, read 186,512 times

Advertisements

A mosque in and of itself represents no danger and should not be met with skepticism. A mosque whose financial backers have ties to terror groups....come on, people. It wasn't Protestants or Jews who flew fully fueled jets full of passengers into fully staffed skyscrapers at the beginning of business day. It wan't Catholics or Buddhists. Have we forgotten? It is cool to be PC and all, and I have plenty of Muslim friends too, but we need to be cognizant of the fact that some ethnic groups are more tolerant to diversity than others. Take a look at what's happening in England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 01:55 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Hmm..have we also forgotten all the Priests that have raped and victimized probably millions of children in the last century alone? Is this a comparison of which religion is the most evil? Christianity historically is as violent and "evil" as Islam, yet we have no problem with a new Church opening in the community..why is that?

As for tolerance..you must be new to NYC, because the city has been one of the most divisive, racially polarized, violent, and segregated places in the country...you should read up on how each new group was treated upon their arrival.

Thanks for excuses and attempting to rewrite history, but the fact remains, they don't want Muslims around due simply to the usual ignorance, racism, and fear-mongering.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:38 PM

"Christianity historically is as violent and "evil" as Islam"
True, you are absolutely right.

"you must be new to NYC"
Sorry, but no. Im 36, and I moved here in the 80s, to Washington Heights. And yes, NYC was very segregated then. I was in the middle of the whole Dominican vs Puerto Rican thing. As silly as it sounds it was quite bad.
We can go back to the crusades and argue for both sides of the issue af atrocities in the name of God. We will be typing all night. And I still stand by what I said about NYC being QUITE diverse and tolerant, because I was here when it wasnt.
I am not interested in rewriting ANY history. I have nothing against Islam. I didnt call it "evil".

"Hmm..have we also forgotten all the Priests that have raped and victimized probably millions of children in the last century alone?"
I went to Catholic school all my life. Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, then Cardinal Spellman HS in the BX. I am well aware of all the heinous crimes committed by "clergy". That's why im not very religious as an adult. You cannot psychoanalyze me based on one single post, my friend. In fact, Im probably older than you

Old 07-12-2010, 02:42 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochi loco View Post
It wasn't Protestants or Jews who flew fully fueled jets full of passengers into fully staffed skyscrapers at the beginning of business day.
But it was Protestants who detonated a bomb in a fully staffed Federal Building with a daycare center in it.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
cochi the point is simple, you gave the excuse that it was Muslims that destroyed the WTC, and that some cultures are more tolerant than others..so that is why this Mosque is not welcome. But then you agree that NYC residents are no more tolerant than others, and Christianity is just as bad as Islam.

You merely supported my claims that this all comes down to ignorance, racism, and fear-mongering!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 PM

"But it was Protestants who detonated a bomb in a fully staffed Federal Building with a daycare center in it."

Touche....lol. Very true. McVeigh's act was just as heinous. In my book he is no better or worse than any Al Qaida operative.
There are extremists in many religions. Not representative of the whole. Islam included. As I stated earlier, I have several friends who are Muslim. My point is, with ALL religious extremists, the threat cannot be ignored for the sake of political correctness. The percentage of violent extremists may be very small compared to the whole, but they are still there.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Sobro, I said that a mosque represents no danger and should not be met with hostility. BUT, if there are documented links to a terrorist group, that is a different story. And you are right, there is a lot of ignorance and fearmongering on this issue.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
This whole brouhaha is just typical American hypocrisy and selective indignation because they are Muslims.There has been no proven link by anyone that anyone connected with this mosque is connected with any terrorist group.Just the suspicion.

I was molested by a priest when I was 10 years old at a catholic church that extorted hundreds of thousands of dollars from it's parishioners to help fund the terrorist activities of the IRA( Irish Republican Army).Both the molestations and the terrorist fundraising activities were done quite out in the open.The church hierarchy and local politicians knew about the molestations and everyone knew about the fundraising for the IRA.The amounts of money raised to fund the Irish terrorists were proudly published.That's how brazen it was.

The PC argument is bull.All religions have terrorist roots and ongoing terrorist connections and terrorism fundraising wings including,Catholics,Jews and Protestants.Buddhists might be the only exception and I am not sure about them either.

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-12-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Bluedog, that is a horrible thing to go through, and luckily I didnt go through that. But the schools I went to in my youth did extort money out of every one of us. My friend was held in detention so late that when he came out of school he was mugged and severely beaten when he was waiting for the bus (at 14 years old). All because he didnt pay his raffle drive money on time ($50!!). Without digressing from the point, the clergy did such things with impunity in those days.
This is one of many reasons why Im not very religious at all. However, I respect other people's right to worship whatever deity they choose to. Only (ONLY) when there is a documented, verified link to any terrorist organization, I say we need to call it what it is. Nothing more.

A different type of terrorism is rampant in the Southwest, perpetrated by Mexican drug cartels. Should hardworking Mexican immigrants in Arizona and New Mexico pay the price? Narcoterrorism is motivated be greed and profit, not religion. I know its not the best comparison, but my point is the cartels should be dealt with directly, not the entire Mexican population in the Southwest.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,030,696 times
The irony of Freedom of Religion is that Religion is Anti-Freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: