U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:06 PM

8 posts, read 42,384 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are hoping to leave beautiful Fort Green to live somewhere within an hour commute to NYC. I grew up in Woodstock and would like to find a town with an artsy/hippy feel that is close to the city and not crazy expensive. Does such a place exist? We are also planning to have a family soon and want to live somewhere with good schools and nature/beaches nearby. Any help would be so appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 05:11 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,243,978 times
Well, you might find it interesting that many of the original gentrifiers/urban pioneers moved on from Park Slope, Fort Greene, etc. to places like Nyack, NY and/or Maplewood/South Orange, NJ. Not cheap, but if you can afford to buy in Ft. Greene you can afford those towns.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:40 AM

982 posts, read 3,818,046 times
So you want a "Woodstock" at half the commute time. Who wouldn't?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 AM

966 posts, read 2,028,893 times
Nyack definitely comes to mind, but as jcoltrane has said, it's not cheap. I was there once for day trip. I always wanted to return.

I will keep my eye on this thread. I hope folks offer more suggestions. I love working and playing in NYC, but ultimately my goal is to live just outside in a more peaceful, laid-back and, yes, "hippy" environment.

Best of luck

Old 07-10-2010, 12:36 PM

10,743 posts, read 25,354,980 times
The problem with Nyack is the commute, since it's easily an hour and a half to Manhattan, no matter which way you travel: bus, train to GCT (TapanzeExpress bus to Tarrytown station), or train to Penn (through NJ - transfer at Secaucus).

In Westchester, I would look to Hastings-on-Hudson, that is a small community, but has some hippie elements to it. There are some with a few dollars in Hastings, but it's not into the leagues of super wealth as other villages in Westchester. You would have a good school district, and be under an hour to GCT.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,746,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
In Westchester, I would look to Hastings-on-Hudson, that is a small community, but has some hippie elements to it.
Hippie is a stretch but near NYC it's hard. The other town that comes to mind is Cold Spring, but that's farther than Nyack by quite a bit even though it's on the east side of the Hudson.

Maplewood is very nice. It gets a lot of young Slope parents but I don't know about artsy or hippie.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:24 AM

10,743 posts, read 25,354,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Hippie is a stretch but near NYC it's hard. The other town that comes to mind is Cold Spring, but that's farther than Nyack by quite a bit even though it's on the east side of the Hudson.

Maplewood is very nice. It gets a lot of young Slope parents but I don't know about artsy or hippie.
True, but Hastings is about as bohemian/artsy as you can find in Westchester with good schools. If schools were not an issue, Peekskill might also be a consideration.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 AM

2,511 posts, read 3,331,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The problem with Nyack is the commute, since it's easily an hour and a half to Manhattan, no matter which way you travel: bus, train to GCT (TapanzeExpress bus to Tarrytown station), or train to Penn (through NJ - transfer at Secaucus).

In Westchester, I would look to Hastings-on-Hudson, that is a small community, but has some hippie elements to it. There are some with a few dollars in Hastings, but it's not into the leagues of super wealth as other villages in Westchester. You would have a good school district, and be under an hour to GCT.
Oh no, I'd have to strongly disagree. I worked in Hastings-on-Hudson for many years and don't find it remotely hippy. Not one tiny bit.

Maybe Beacon.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/ny...29Rtownwe.html
I haven't been there. It seems pretty far away though.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,584,773 times
All of the hip/quasi-hippy people I know who moved upstate live near Woodstock: Saugerties, Kingston, New Paltz, Red Hook, Rhinebeck, Hudson. I'm sure if there were something affordable closer to the city they would have moved there, but there isn't. One-hour is well within commuting range for bankers and attorneys and all of those towns have become very expensive.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,662,847 times
yup, you'd have to go north to the Albany/Troy area, Northeast to New England or southwest to New Hope/Lambertville NJ

i don't consider Montclair NJ to be all that hippy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City