U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 11:44 PM

53 posts, read 115,385 times

Advertisements

In a few years time I hope to move to NYC with my wife from Boston, Somerville really. We are both from the area and have roots here but want to try out life in a world class city.

I am wondering if anyone knows any neighborhoods that compare to the neighborhoods in Somerville: Union, Porter and Davis. The main things I think we would be looking for are a neighborhood that has young professional but doesn't have the snobby pretentious feel you get in "Yuppie" neighborhoods of Boston Proper(Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill,etc).

Essentially, where would 20-30 something geeks live in NYC?

Also, I like a neighborhood that has a good mix of professional and working class people(like Somerville) and isn't too heavy of the hipster feel.

I'm guessing a neighborhood like this exists somewhere in Brooklyn or Queens but I don't really know where to look.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 06:20 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,636,575 times
I think you have to be a little more specific.I'm originally from Cambridge and still have tons of family in Cambridge and Somerville so I am quite familiar and to me the neighborhoods you mentioned are not all the same at all.Which do you want ? A neighborhood like Union Sq or a neighborhood like Davis Sq ?

You say you don't want a hipster infested neighborhood but to me Davis Sq is pretty infested with hipsters.

Astoria,in Queens,might be something like what you are looking for right now but I fear that in another couple of years
(when you say you will be coming) the neighborhood will have tipped too far into the hipster category.

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-10-2010 at 06:49 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM

53 posts, read 115,385 times
I guess it would mostly be like Union Sq. Maybe I'm not good at expressing myself, or I don't really know how to describe the characteristic of the neighborhoods I like but; Where do normal people in NYC live? That is to say not those just looking to say they live somewhere cool but that just want a livable neighborhoods with reasonable price, a good diverse mix of people, close to the subway?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 AM

10,614 posts, read 20,750,046 times
In Queens: Astoria, Jackson Heights, Sunnyside
In Brooklyn: Ditmas Park, Kensington, Bay Ridge

Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,297,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
In Queens: Astoria, Jackson Heights, Sunnyside
In Brooklyn: Ditmas Park, Kensington, Bay Ridge
Bay Ridge is your best bet, very middle class and not snobby (and not ghetto either, hard to find in NYC). Has good restuarants too! My wife worked there for a number of years and we miss going out to the restaurants there. Probably too far from Manhattan to ever become "Hipsterized". Closest thing you are going to find to a Boston or Toronto type neighborhood in NYC.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 AM

447 posts, read 1,333,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox68 View Post
In a few years time I hope to move to NYC with my wife from Boston, Somerville really. We are both from the area and have roots here but want to try out life in a world class city.

I am wondering if anyone knows any neighborhoods that compare to the neighborhoods in Somerville: Union, Porter and Davis. The main things I think we would be looking for are a neighborhood that has young professional but doesn't have the snobby pretentious feel you get in "Yuppie" neighborhoods of Boston Proper(Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill,etc).

Essentially, where would 20-30 something geeks live in NYC?

Also, I like a neighborhood that has a good mix of professional and working class people(like Somerville) and isn't too heavy of the hipster feel.

I'm guessing a neighborhood like this exists somewhere in Brooklyn or Queens but I don't really know where to look.
Young professional area without snobby attitude?
I don't know if that exists where the area has yuppies(young professional)
without a pretentious feel.
Would you be okay with a neighborhood in transition? Maybe one of the good areas of The Bronx. I think Parkchester, Riverdale, or maybe Throggs Neck. Those areas haven't been "discovered" by yuppies. Yet.
Can you tell us what you mean by "geeks"?
Also, a budget would be helpful.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM

8,595 posts, read 10,301,460 times
do you have to be in NYC? Would a small city work for you?

You said you are working near Morristown NJ.

That gives me an idea. If you are willing to have a REALLY long drive to work (its 60 miles, and theres traffic) I would suggest thinking of Bethlehem PA. Its got a nice funky walkable downtown, with places that are probably your speed in terms of yuppieness (microbrewery, but not martini bars). Theres an artsy scene in South Bethlehem. Theres a pretty good university right there (lehigh) and other colleges close by. Real estate is going to be ALOT cheaper than in NYC or Bergen County. Its still close enough to do a day trip to Manhattan on a weekend, I guess. But its going to be a LONG commute.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:11 PM

8,595 posts, read 10,301,460 times
another idea - sounds like you want geeky but not "liberal artsy hipster" nabes. Basically where there are lots of MIT grad types. NYC doesnt really have the equivalent of MIT. But you might try to hook up with recent grads of Cooper Union, Fu School of engineering at Columbia, or even Stevens Inst of Tech and find out where those folks live.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,497,562 times
Queens: Astoria, Bayside, Forest Hills
Brooklyn: Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Park Slope

Old 08-07-2010, 08:07 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,322,376 times
Its prob not a good idea to move somewhere else and expect it to be like home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or