U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 PM

53 posts, read 115,395 times

Advertisements

I come from Somerville,MA and am thinking of moving to NYC with my wife in a few years I have a rough outline of the kind of neighborhood I'd like to live it so I wondering if a New Yorker could help me get started looking. Some traits I'd like in a neighborhood:

-I'm guessing the kind of neighborhood I'm looking for would be in Brooklyn or Queens but if something fits I'll take it.
-Looking for a neighborhood with good mix of Young Professional and Working class people.
-Not overly pretentious or snobbish area, not interested in living around Manhattan A-Types(or their understudies)
-Moderately Priced for NYC
-Near Subway
-Not hipster infested

Neighborhood doesn't have to be trendy or cool infact I kind of want the opposite.

Any Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 04:37 AM

982 posts, read 3,846,329 times
I PMed you a better place to post. You're not related to victorfox are you?

Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 AM

2,005 posts, read 4,274,980 times
Astoria Queens sounds like a good fit for your description. Where is the better place to post?

Old 07-11-2010, 12:05 AM

20,894 posts, read 22,699,201 times
Rent/Buy??

Look up Trump Village in Brooklyn (Brighton Beach). Near beach. Very near public transit system. Parking is not easy as anywhere in Brooklyn. Its turning in a Russian based community, but the area is extremely clean. You can get a two bedroom apartment for around $300k.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 AM

27 posts, read 83,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Astoria Queens sounds like a good fit for your description. Where is the better place to post?
Astoria is now infested with hipsters.
sorry. It was a lively neighborhood before gentrification took its toll.
Now its luxury condos next to the projects.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:19 AM

27 posts, read 83,119 times
Astoria is Still a working-class/lower-class area but lots of upper-class people are moving in.
If you dont mind some annoying hipsters then it would be a good fit.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:32 PM

343 posts, read 896,347 times
When you're talking Brooklyn and Queens, you are talking ethnic, mostly segregated neighborhoods with a few exceptions.

Queens: For what you listed, I think Fresh Meadows area would fit the best. More so inside and around the housing complex. (Google/Wiki it) Working class people from all different backgrounds. Nice clean community with great public transit (albeit x-bus) and close to the Expressway. Tons of parking/amenities, even a starbucks, close to cunningham park, tons of greenery and surrounded by other great neighborhoods.

Most of Brooklyn is segregated even parts of "new brooklyn" so I don't think you should look there. However, Flatbush/Midwood south and near Brooklyn College has the working class diversity you are looking for, near transit and would be a close runner up. Has more of an urban feel than Fresh Meadows tho. IMO.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,298,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox68 View Post
I come from Somerville,MA and am thinking of moving to NYC with my wife in a few years I have a rough outline of the kind of neighborhood I'd like to live it so I wondering if a New Yorker could help me get started looking. Some traits I'd like in a neighborhood:

-I'm guessing the kind of neighborhood I'm looking for would be in Brooklyn or Queens but if something fits I'll take it.
-Looking for a neighborhood with good mix of Young Professional and Working class people.
-Not overly pretentious or snobbish area, not interested in living around Manhattan A-Types(or their understudies)
-Moderately Priced for NYC
-Near Subway
-Not hipster infested

Neighborhood doesn't have to be trendy or cool infact I kind of want the opposite.

Any Ideas?

Bay Ridge, Brooklyn might be a good fit.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 PM

2,331 posts, read 4,848,854 times
1) Ridgewood in Queens.
2) Pelham Parkway section of The Bronx.
3) Riverdale section of The Bronx.
4) Forest Hills in Queens
5) Rego Park in Queens.

In fact, just about anywhere in Queens, other than Astoria. Queens is declasse. Hipsters, yuppies and the people you don't want to live with would rather die than live in Queens.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:08 PM

194 posts, read 534,453 times
Bay Ridge has a lot of positive qualities; for me, its big drawback is the commute to Manhattan (if that's where you'd be working) - it is not short.

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually like Bensonhurst and Sheepshead Bay areas (granted, the commutes are not much shorter). They are almost totally "un-trendy," and no self-respecting hipster would ever be caught dead in either neighborhood.

I know you said "mid-priced," but I think you need to be much more specific than that - and, as another poster noted, you need to specify whether you are interested in buying or renting.

Without a specific price point, the advice is pretty useless - because, sadly, in this city, in terms of housing, price is the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City