U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 11,595 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I've been researching this board and internet, but haven't been able to find much information about the Garment district in terms of safety and liveability. I'm considering moving into one of the new residential buildings they are developing in the neighborhood; this one in particular is on 8th avenue, 37th street (doorman building).

How is crime and general safety in this area? Will I as a female in my 20s be safe walking from 8ave/37st to and from the subway (either to Penn station or Times Sq) in early mornings and late evenings? I read that the Garment district is mainly commerzial-zoned; does that mean there are less people around in the weekends and thus unsafer than during weekdays?

Are there other considerations I should be aware of for this area? E.g., is it noisy or polluted? Close to grocery stores? Etc.?

Thanks in advance for your insights and comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:13 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,317,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola333 View Post
Hi everyone. I've been researching this board and internet, but haven't been able to find much information about the Garment district in terms of safety and liveability. I'm considering moving into one of the new residential buildings they are developing in the neighborhood; this one in particular is on 8th avenue, 37th street (doorman building).

How is crime and general safety in this area? Will I as a female in my 20s be safe walking from 8ave/37st to and from the subway (either to Penn station or Times Sq) in early mornings and late evenings? I read that the Garment district is mainly commerzial-zoned; does that mean there are less people around in the weekends and thus unsafer than during weekdays?

Are there other considerations I should be aware of for this area? E.g., is it noisy or polluted? Close to grocery stores? Etc.?

Thanks in advance for your insights and comments!

my friend lives at 34th and 8 and thought I have never felt particularly unsafe there I think its sorta a gross neighborhood. the streets there are dirty especially around Madison Square Garden. It's not much of a neighborhood and its packed constantly with tourists.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Some people consider this to be Hell's Kitchen, so you could try searching on that
Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not too fond of the area - too crowded on the sidewalks and not aesthetically pleasing. I can't think of any interesting grocery stores in the immediate vicinity - though there is some good food shopping on 9th Ave around that area (butchers, fish market, international market and a "farmer's market" that is really just very cheap fruit and vegetables, not locally grown). I think there may also be a real farmer's market once a week somewhere in that vicinity, though if I were living there and wanted a farmer's market I would probably just take the subway to Union Sq to the big one.

In terms of transit, the location is quite convenient.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:44 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,646,884 times
It's not unsafe but it's not a great neighborhood. It used to be a lot sketchier because of Port Authority. It is very bustling. It's definitely Midtown Manhattan and the primary zoning is actually industrial, not commercial. That's why all of the garment factories are there (or what's left of the garment factories).

If the city ever zoned it for residential it could become a very sought after neighborhood because there are so many buildings that could be turned into lofts. It would be SoHo-North. The city is reluctant to do so because that would spell the end of garment making in Manhattan.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:56 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
You can look up statistics as to safety, but the thing is that it's so dark and deserted at night that I find it kind of creepy.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:46 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
It's a sort of creepy area.
It's in the midtown south precinct which is actually one of the 5 highest crime precincts in the city.The crime rates in that precinct are similar to East Harlem,Bed Stuy in Brooklyn and the lower East Side.
Here is a map showing the crime rates of all the precincts in the city.The darker the color the higher the crime rate.It's from 2008 but things haven't changed that much.Note that 3 out of the 4 highest crime rate precincts in the city are in Manhattan.
http://nymag.com/docs/08/01/080114crimemaps.pdf

Old 07-11-2010, 05:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,530,749 times
Default a doorman bldg

on 37th and 8th? that's news to me. to me that area conjures up images of "doorways" rather than doormen!

lots of hookers around there too. it's very harsh and severe in terms of it's urban scene

great buys in the little stores though. i bought a winter coat for $30 on the sidewalk there--best coat i ever had
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or