U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2010, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,602 times
Default Queens neighborhoods

Hi everybody, I'm moving to NY in the next month or so, and hope that you guys can help me figure out some of the differences in neighborhoods.
The basics on my situation: late 20s, writer and tutor, finishing a PhD, white male, and have been living in urban areas for most of my life (DC, Boston, Oakland). I started out looking in Brooklyn, but the places in my price range (roughly $1k/mo, prefer a studio or 1br over roommates) were concentrated in Bushwick, or were a really long commute given that I'll be up at Columbia about once a week. So I started looking at Queens, and several places seem like a really good mix of easy transportation, food options, etc. I'm not so concerned with living in a trendy area, or having the hottest nightlife. I often write in cafes, value diverse areas and good cheap eats, and will have to make regular (but not daily) trips to Morningside Heights.

I know I'll have to check the neighborhoods out myself to get a feel for the area, but any quick comments about Astoria - Sunnyside - Woodside - JH? Those are the places that I'm leaning toward, but if there are good options that I'm overlooking, I'd love to hear those too!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 03:46 PM

194 posts, read 341,997 times
You've chosen a lot of the better areas; you might also consider Forest Hills, but it's definitely a longer commute.

But if you're going to be at Columbia, have you thought of Washington Heights or Inwood? You'll definitely have to make sure the block is decent (some aren't, some are great), but there may still be things in your price range, and the commute to Columbia would probably be fairly easy.

(Caveat: if you do decide to look into these areas, make sure you check out the status of the repairs on the 1 train, which is the line that runs between upper Manhattan and Columbia. They're slated to start a 2-year renovation of the stations on the line, and it's going to disrupt service. You can probably find details on the MTA site, or look for the article on the Manhattan Times website.)

Old 07-10-2010, 04:21 PM

13,982 posts, read 11,388,350 times
I suggest you also consider Rego Park.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Status: "RIP Lucky. You were a great cat." (set 4 days ago)

2,123 posts, read 2,498,858 times
You'd have an easier commute from the Northwest Bronx. You might find something in your range in Kingsbridge.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:24 AM

36 posts, read 57,983 times
As much as I like Rego Park, the commute to Columbia will be about an hour. Cafes are scarce in RP. Sunnyside sounds like the closest and easiest commute.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 AM

6,370 posts, read 10,303,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
You'd have an easier commute from the Northwest Bronx. You might find something in your range in Kingsbridge.
I think I agree with this, especially if getting to and from Columbia is an important factor.You should probably at least look parts of Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil, Kingsbridge Heights and Van Cortlandt Village.All are in The NW Bronx and on the 1 train and only 20 mins or so from Columbia.
The Hudson Heights area of upper Manhattan is also very nice.
There is a reason why all of the above neighborhoods are filled with Columbia faculty,staff and grad students.

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-12-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,602 times
Thanks all for the advice, esp. on neighborhoods in NW Bronx -- it's not an area that I'm familiar with, but now it's on the list of places to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City