U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 PM

755 posts, read 2,002,516 times

Advertisements

The Ace is a good suggestion. Your group would probably have a good time there - the bar is quite a lot of fun on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 18,311 times
thank you so much for your suggestions.
i agree w noladarling, hostel aren't somewhere where we would feel comfortable, but thank you chava61.
Mariostts residence a The pod looks realy nice, i'll check w the girls, thank you bmwguydc and tpk-nyc!
Thank you loratliff for the suggestion and it's an easy name to remember! LOL

Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
The Ace is a good suggestion. Your group would probably have a good time there - the bar is quite a lot of fun on weekends.
do you have more details, an address or website?
cheers

Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM

460 posts, read 1,266,704 times
New York City Hotels : Ace Hotel

It is often but not always illegal for an owner to rent a residental apartment for less than a month, as the posters above suggest. It is also illegal to cross the street mid-block, or to drive over 55 mph, or to drink under age 21. It is not illegal for you to rent it, and many visitors go this route. You need to worry more about whether an apartment rental is a scam, and many of them are. The fact that the owner might be violating some housing code by renting the apartment may or may not be of concern to you. That is for you to decide.

In any event, the issue is simply that the place needs to be registered and regulated as a hotel, not that apartments can never be rented for less than 30 days. There are many fully furnished apartment hotels that can be rented for a week, but they can be VERY expensive, such as these:

Corporate Housing Specials In New York

AKA Luxury Furnished Suites for Extended Stay Corporate Housing with Hotel Amenities - The Next Generation of Luxury Accomodations - Short Term Housing - Temporary Furnished Apartments

Old 07-14-2010, 02:59 PM

thank you nyc_sport!

i did mention to my friends that we should avoid "private rents" and contact the agency to speak with them directly, to get as many details as possible to avoid any scams.

once again Thank You so much for all your help!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM

624 posts, read 1,294,760 times
Click on this link to check out the "Air BnB" website - it's a place where people who rent their apartments out as Bed and Breakfasts post availability and their rates per night. Some have pretty big places with a few rooms and are willing to haggle. I've spoken with some of these owners - the website does go and inspect them and take pictures, so it seems legit.

Oh, and at age 32, isn't it high time you started calling yourself and your friends women instead of girls? When a woman calls herself a girl, she demeans her own value as an adult member of society.

Last edited by citychik; 07-15-2010 at 04:50 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM

755 posts, read 2,002,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Oh, and at age 32, isn't it high time you started calling yourself and your friends women instead of girls? When a woman calls herself a girl, she demeans her own value as an adult member of society.
Really? I think the OP just meant it in a fun, friendly way, as you would refer to someone as a girlfriend. What should she have said - "I'll check with the women"?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:27 PM

ya ... off course i am and we are women's with some life experience but above all - we are girls and we feel as free, young spirit and with the energy of 20's aged girls!!!!

this might sound strange to many people but we feel so amazingllyyyyyyy weeeelllllll being this way!
))))

thank you for your suggestion citychick!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 PM

624 posts, read 1,294,760 times
I have two more lodging suggestions for you:

A friend of mine lives in Hell's Kitchen and whenever her family visits, they stay at the Hotel Carter. She says it costs about $99 a night and that it's "nothing fancy but my parents said it was clean and comfortable, and it seems to be one of the cheapest places in Times Square to stay." You would be located centrally -- in the thick of all the action in Times Square -- and able to access pretty much every subway line and bus route to get around. Here is the website: The Hotel Carter.

A more adventurous suggestion would be the East Village Bed and Coffee, which is a fun, very bohemian guest house (in the style of a "pensione") in Alphabet City (Avenue C near 7th Street), also about $100/night. I know the owner - she's awesome, an artist, and very knowledgeable about the city -- and the place is filled with art. Lots of Europeans stay there, and she has a mix of rooms, some with twin beds, some doubles, and some of them are lofts. It would be a very unique way to experience NYC, as it's in a great neighborhood that had a bad reputation for years but is now full of restaurants, shopping, and galleries. It's easy to get to tourist spots from there. If you're interested in this option, the thing is you had better start calling NOW - the EVB&C is usually always full. See East Village Bed & Coffee.

In fact, no matter where you decide to stay, you should have your reservations made SOON. It's hard to get a decent room at the last minute here.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:40 PM

hi citychick

thank you for your suggestions, they are really cool!
the girls have found an apartment that meets what we were looking for and was also the cheaper option.
Thank You So Much any way, to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or