U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 18,260 times

Advertisements

Hello There!!!

I though i should try to get some advise from people that live in NY and not only from what we get from friends that have already visited NY or from the internet!

We have a good idea of what we should be visiting but we are having more difficulty to find an apartment for all of us at an affordable price.

We are going in the beginning of October and we will be celebrating my 32years there, so one day at least will be for going out and party!

Any suggestions or advise will be very welcome!

Thank you so much!
bene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 PM

30,332 posts, read 31,201,438 times
It is illegal in NYC now to rent an apt. for less than 30 days. So if you are looking for a hotel for a good price I would suggest hotels in Long Island City, Queens which are a short subway ride from Manhattan.
Long Island City Hotels - Discount Hotels in Long Island City NY New York

Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 PM

50 posts, read 219,150 times
Or check out this place International Student Center Youth Hostel - Manhattan - New York City :: Rates and Reservations
I think they only host tourists who come to the city but you and your friends can act like tourists and get a pretty good deal.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,504,500 times
Sorry, but no one in his right mind would want to be bothered renting an apartment to six people for a week. Maybe you could find a B&B for three people and double up. Or a hostel.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:14 AM

9 posts, read 18,260 times
thank you so much for your replies.

I don't understand why you say its ilegal or its not normal as its very common that type of offer, through booking.com, holidayhomes.com and just by doing a search through the internet.

We could find plenty of aparts being rent not only for 7 days but also for 2/3 days only!

Thank you colindapool for your suggestion, we are tourists that will be visiting the city for 7 days.

Hi chava, hotels its not a good option for us, because we need to cook at home.... european girls like to cook and have meals ate home ..... besides would be very expensive to be doing all meals out!

And what about places to go out and restaurants??? is it expensive to go out in NYC? how much on average would we be spending for a dinner and entrance to a night club?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 AM

30,332 posts, read 31,201,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebenny View Post
thank you so much for your replies.

I don't understand why you say its ilegal or its not normal as its very common that type of offer, through booking.com, holidayhomes.com and just by doing a search through the internet.

We could find plenty of aparts being rent not only for 7 days but also for 2/3 days only!

Thank you colindapool for your suggestion, we are tourists that will be visiting the city for 7 days.

Hi chava, hotels its not a good option for us, because we need to cook at home.... european girls like to cook and have meals ate home ..... besides would be very expensive to be doing all meals out!

And what about places to go out and restaurants??? is it expensive to go out in NYC? how much on average would we be spending for a dinner and entrance to a night club?
There is a NEW law in NYC that makes illegal to rent out apts. for less than 30 days. But until it has been common practice to do so and that is why you found many ads.
Again the suggestion for you to stay at a youth hostel is a good one. I suggest the Vanderbilt Y on East 47th St.(see YMCA of Greater New York: Manhattan NYC Hostels near Grand Central | Vanderbilt Guest Rooms) which has a self-service cafeteria which is probably not too expensive by Manhattan standards. American girls also like to cook & eat meals at home when they are NOT on vacation. But you can probably eat fast food which isn't very expensive. You can bagels/muffins & coffee/tea/juice in the mornings from street vendors very cheaply. Then you have luncheon specials at Chinese restaurants which are also relatively cheap. In the evening you could just buy a snack at a local supermarket that doesn't need cooking.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:22 AM

142 posts, read 360,699 times
I WOULD NOT recommend a hostel for 6 ADULT women.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 AM

142 posts, read 360,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebenny View Post

Just stay out of midtown. The food is expensive and touristy.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM

10,754 posts, read 25,531,740 times
If you can get by with a kitchenette (microwave and small refrigerator in-room), then you should stay at Marriott's Residence Inn - Times Square. If you want a hotel that offers included breakfast, then look to the Embassy Suites.

NYC has some great restaurants, not all of which are expensive, so if you want to limit costs, I would look to breakfast in the hotel, then dinner at any number of great restaurants in the city, some of which are bargains. The adventure of getting there is half the fun, too, when you're exploring the city, since you can see more of the city when going to some good restaurant outposts.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-12-2010, 03:30 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,650,572 times
A new trend in hotels is bunk bed rooms. It's sort of private youth hostel. I don't know what your budget is, but they have them at The Pod (New York City Hotels: Pod Hotel Manhattan NYC discount accommodations near Radio City Music Hall Rockefeller Center Times Square) for only $160 a night. The Ace (New York City Hotels : Ace Hotel) has them too, but they're more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or