U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 AM
 
10,684 posts, read 20,857,421 times
Reputation: 8222

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Let me play devil's advocate and say the transition from the Village to Woodside is going to be tough. Woodside is a safe area, but it's a bit rough around the edges and is perhaps one of the least aesthetically pleasing middle class neighborhoods in Queens. Roosevelt ave is mostly ethnic mom and pop stores, ugly storefronts and vinyl sided houses, lots of graffiti on the buildings, rusted 7 el train tracks, loud Mexican and Irish bars, earth shatteringly loud 7 trains etc. On top of that, there really isn't that much to do there, the food isn't great (except for Sripraphai), there aren't many amenities or nice little cafes, there's no night life, it's mostly immigrants and working class people that just take the 7 train home, get a drink at the local bar then head home.

I think you went from perhaps the most coveted neighborhood in NY to in my opinion one of the least desirable areas that a middle class person would consider living in in Queens.

Had you moved from the Village to say a nice apartment on a nice block in Astoria, I'd would've said you traded up.
Wow, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? This is cruel. Not to mention, Woodside has some quite beautiful areas. Did the OP say she is going to be living below the tracks of the 7 train? I missed that part of her post.

It's nice that you like Astoria, but this time I suggest you keep it to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,296 posts, read 4,531,389 times
Reputation: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Wow, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? This is cruel. Not to mention, Woodside has some quite beautiful areas. Did the OP say she is going to be living below the tracks of the 7 train? I missed that part of her post.

It's nice that you like Astoria, but this time I suggest you keep it to yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Let me play devil's advocate and say the transition from the Village to Woodside is going to be tough. Woodside is a safe area, but it's a bit rough around the edges and is perhaps one of the least aesthetically pleasing middle class neighborhoods in Queens. Roosevelt ave is mostly ethnic mom and pop stores, ugly storefronts and vinyl sided houses, lots of graffiti on the buildings, rusted 7 el train tracks, loud Mexican and Irish bars, earth shatteringly loud 7 trains etc. On top of that, there really isn't that much to do there, the food isn't great (except for Sripraphai), there aren't many amenities or nice little cafes, there's no night life, it's mostly immigrants and working class people that just take the 7 train home, get a drink at the local bar then head home.

I think you went from perhaps the most coveted neighborhood in NY to in my opinion one of the least desirable areas that a middle class person would consider living in in Queens.

Had you moved from the Village to say a nice apartment on a nice block in Astoria, I'd would've said you traded up.
To the OP: Good luck in your new neigborhood. I have never lived in Manhattan but I once left Queens and moved out-of-state. Having no 24 hour public transportation and no drivers license was a real challenge. While there are some nice areas to explore in Queens, remember, you will be just a short 10-15 minute train ride to Manhattan, unlike when I moved and was a 4 hour drive away.

@Biskit,
Both Astoria and Woodside have their ethnic enclaves, small, side-by-side vinyl sided houses, mom and pop stores, grime and graffiti, and noisy elevated train lines. And, given that Astoria is a huge neighborhood that has a large section that is more suburban-like, the concentration of amenities like cafes, etc. is small, comparatively speaking.

I think the OP's choice of Woodside is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Astoria, Queens, you know the scene
750 posts, read 2,136,360 times
Reputation: 598
Have you actually lived in Woodside? I lived there for many years, nothing that I wrote was inaccurate or "cruel" and I wholeheartedly disagree that there are any "beautiful" parts of Woodside - you simply have low standards of beauty if you think this.

I moved from Astoria to Woodside and I had the exact same impression of the place as I wrote in my response. Even though I like Astoria better than the Village, I can only imagine how someone used to the Village would react to the same move.

Astoria isn't a status symbol, it's just as affordable as Woodside but WAY better. Yes there are less desirable parts of Astoria, but on the whole it is much better. There are more amenities (30th ave, Broadway, Steinway, Ditmars compared to only Roosevelt Ave), better kept streets, more activity, just as many ethnic mom and pop stores but better quality, an el train, but it's not as loud and it's better kept, and it's only 10 min to the city.

I missed the part of MY post that I implied that she would be living UNDER the 7 train?

I suggest you have some credibility before responding based on emotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Wow, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? This is cruel. Not to mention, Woodside has some quite beautiful areas. Did the OP say she is going to be living below the tracks of the 7 train? I missed that part of her post.

It's nice that you like Astoria, but this time I suggest you keep it to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
 
10,684 posts, read 20,857,421 times
Reputation: 8222
Biskit, it's fine for you to have your negative feelings about Woodside. I don't really care about that. What I am suggesting is that you do not share them in this case -- if you didn't notice, the thread title is "lease signed, heart broke"

Are you really so cruel that you would answer someone's heartbroken post about moving to a new neighborhood with such insensitivity?

Really, it's fine for you not to like Woodside. I just think you should keep your thoughts to yourself in this case.

I have both credibility AND sensitivity, something that you clearly lack.

I wish the best to OP and think she will find things to love about her new home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Have you actually lived in Woodside? I lived there for many years, nothing that I wrote was inaccurate or "cruel" and I wholeheartedly disagree that there are any "beautiful" parts of Woodside - you simply have low standards of beauty if you think this.

I moved from Astoria to Woodside and I had the exact same impression of the place as I wrote in my response. Even though I like Astoria better than the Village, I can only imagine how someone used to the Village would react to the same move.

Astoria isn't a status symbol, it's just as affordable as Woodside but WAY better. Yes there are less desirable parts of Astoria, but on the whole it is much better. There are more amenities (30th ave, Broadway, Steinway, Ditmars compared to only Roosevelt Ave), better kept streets, more activity, just as many ethnic mom and pop stores but better quality, an el train, but it's not as loud and it's better kept, and it's only 10 min to the city.

I missed the part of MY post that I implied that she would be living UNDER the 7 train?

I suggest you have some credibility before responding based on emotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 PM
 
137 posts, read 423,605 times
Reputation: 45
Thank you everyone for your replies.
Biskit, that's okay, I know Woodside isn't the Village. (Because what is? That's why for years I've tried to remember some mornings when I wake up to say, "Thank you, Jane Jeffries.") But after 15 years of rent increases plus losing 1/2 my clients in the recession and subsequently some savings that I need for impending old age, it had to be done. Ironically, I'll be able to do stuff in the city with all the money I'm saving on my Woodside rent -- and I haven't been able to do that for two years.
My main quest was to find a 1 bedroom for no more than 1100 and that's what I did and Woodside is where I found it. I don't think I could have found that in Astoria, MAYBE on a ground floor but being female I don't like living on the ground floor. I do like the Beer Garden a lot, though.
If there IS a heaven, it's probably a lot like the West Village from 1995 to 2007. Now a lot of the little stores that made it interesting are gone, and it's just stores with HUGELY expensive items and a skyline that may slowly be getting ruined.
I really wanted Sunnyside -- because I like the name!!!!! But again, Woodside's where i found the place I can afford now.
I will definitely miss the West Village Christmas carolers.

Last edited by Wevi; 07-15-2010 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top