U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-11-2010, 08:13 AM

5 posts, read 6,838 times
Default Parking Violation - Battery Park

Hello everyone,

I received a parking violation in the amount of $95 for a no parking zone only for unloading and loading, it was basically infront of a hotel during a trip to the movies down at battery park Regal. When I parked there I did not see a sign on that lamp post next to the vehicle. I went so far as to go down the block to check the next sign which showed that my space was a valid parking spot. There were also 3 vehicles parked behind me which all received parking tickets for the same violation. Could it be possible, for the sign to be installed in the 3 hours I was away? The sign is a simple 4in x 6in rectacular red sign. Is there a way to check when the parking sign was installed?

The sign if installed that night was also very hard to spot. It was installed behind tree branches. I have taken pictures of the sign behind the tree, and the vehicles parked behind me. Is there a possibility to fight the ticket by using these photos?

If I am unable to check when the sign was installed, is there a way to fight the ticket? Has anyone been able to find a defective ticket by claiming the color noted on the vehicle was wrong? The color noted on the vehicle on the ticket is Silver, however the color on the title is gray?

Thank you for any help. $95 is a lot of money to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:46 AM

4,144 posts, read 4,775,907 times
I would just pay the ticket and move on.

And the difference between grey and silver? Really? Have you never said you had a grey car to people. I had a silver car and sometimes I would say "yeah my car is grey" grey is silver. I could see red and yellow but grey and silver is just splitting hairs.

you parked in the wrong spot. pay your ticket.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:01 AM

982 posts, read 2,298,859 times
The color is not an issue. If you plead not guilty and want a hearing the City will knock it back 20 or 30 dollars, can't remember, if you don't contest it. I can't imagine how you could find out if the sign was installed that day or not and how long you might have to move the car.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:41 AM

26 posts, read 59,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I would just pay the ticket and move on.

And the difference between grey and silver? Really? Have you never said you had a grey car to people. I had a silver car and sometimes I would say "yeah my car is grey" grey is silver. I could see red and yellow but grey and silver is just splitting hairs.

you parked in the wrong spot. pay your ticket.
I disagree. I was towed from a legal spot and my money was refunded.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 AM

9,339 posts, read 15,374,241 times
What time of day was the incident? Was this a new hotel? Sign crews, for example, do not generally place signs at night, or on weekends.

Basically, you parked in a hotel loading zone, and while signs may have been confusing, the presence of the hotel entrance is the first indicator that one should not park there. Given that the sign was obscured by tree branches, you might stand a chance with an appeal. Even without seeing a sign, reasonably experienced NYC driver would not believe the space to be legal, since it's a very common practice to have "No Standing - Hotel Loading Zone" near the entrance to hotels.

The color technicality is not enough to get a ticket thrown out in this day, while it may have been in the past. As mentioned above, the city will likely offer a settlement, and you can request an in-person review/hearing at borough finance offices for ticket adjudication. If the city offers a settlement, however, and you refuse it, wanting to plead your case in person, the offer is withdrawn and the result of the hearing is the final word on the fine.

I think that it was an honest mistake, but in the current climate of capturing revenue at any moment, the city does not have an "oops" provision for such instances. Good luck with resolving the issue.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City