Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,097 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I'm a 27y/o single guy living in Ohio with no dependents. I've had a rough time getting a job here after college and only recently have been getting selected for interviews in my range (35,000+). I started looking for work in the NYC area (have family nearby) and managed to find a company that was interested in me. They've been waiting a month to see me and i'll be heading up tomorrow. They told me they would be spending 45,000 (plus benefits) on this position (its an administrative position). I have a BA degree from a great school but I know that means nothing in the NYC area.

The calculations that i've done and searches for apartments suggest that in order to maintain the same standard of living that I do here in Ohio based on 35k/year i'd need to make at least 77,000 per year (120%) and most apartments (1br) cost appx 2,000+ a month. Is this true? Am I missing something?

I do not believe that this position would upward negotiate and is pretty solid on overhead costs. I need to know if it is realistic to live in perhaps Jersey City or Hoboken with a roomate (ive never had to have one in my adult life). I think at that wage I could afford maybe 700 a month or so excluding utilities whilst living with someone. I'm not considering the outer boroughs or Manhattan itself though the job is in Midtown.

Will I need a part time job in the evenings to survive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
If you're making $45K you can afford more than $700 a month.

Why are you "not considering the outer boroughs"? Hoboken is more expensive than most of the outer boroughs except for the prime parts of Brooklyn.

If you're really interested in Jersey, you should post on the Jersey board.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:44 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock8291 View Post

The calculations that i've done and searches for apartments suggest that in order to maintain the same standard of living that I do here in Ohio based on 35k/year i'd need to make at least 77,000 per year (120%) and most apartments (1br) cost appx 2,000+ a month. Is this true? Am I missing something?.....
While NY is definitely more expensive than any place in Ohio,it does not have to be anywhere near 120% more.There are plenty of very decent neighborhoods in Brooklyn,Queens and the Bronx where you will find a nice 1Br for 1,000 to 1,200/mo.The general cost of living is also significantly less in the "outer boroughs" as almost everything is cheaper than in Manhattan.

If you don't feel as though you must live in Manhattan or some very trendy neighborhood you will be fine as a single person on $45,000/yr.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM

im sorry, this is my first time coming to this board. didn't realize that jc/hoboken weren't considered one in the same with the rest of nyc (despite being jersey).

700 was a rough guestimate based on taxes, student loans, transportation costs, food, etc.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM

thanks bluedog. so, i guess the key is to find someone i can manage to live with but also make sure the neighborhood (wherever it is) is affordable because that DOES exist there. i'm fine with less than trendy as long as its safe, non-infested, clean looking possibly rennovated.

i can live like a king here for the amount of money being offered. but, im not so high maintainence that i have to live that way. this is all about making sure i won't failcascade once i arrive.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I don't know about Hoboken but in parts of Queens you can easily find a good roommate situation for $700-$800 a month in a nice neighborhood with an easy commute to midtown. Many in their 20's, 30s even 40s and up live with roommates if they aren't married so it's definitely not unusual.

If you have a roommate that will also keep costs down for cable, electric, etc. as you'll have someone to split those bills with.

Check the roommates/shares section on craigslist for areas like Astoria and Sunnyside.

Make sure you review your interview skills before coming to the interview here if you haven't been practicing recently - good luck w. the job!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Thank you Henna! Yeah. i've been on several 1st & 2nd interviews locally recently so i'm on my a-game. Thanks for all the well wishes you guys are giving me SUPER information.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 43,178 times
you can find a one bedroom and livingroom for 800 but in basement, or you can find a one bedroom only for 500+util, look for queens or brooklyn
you wont be able to survive if you live in manhattan

Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 PM

17 posts, read 51,047 times
In the early 90s I moved to Hoboken from upstate NY and was making $28K a year (with moderate increases each year). I rented a railroad flat for $650/month without a roomate for 7 years,and really liked it. Of course, back then I also didn't mind walking a mile to/from the Path train for my commute. I'm not so willing to do that 20 years later

Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by six50joe View Post
In the early 90s I moved to Hoboken from upstate NY and was making $28K a year (with moderate increases each year). I rented a railroad flat for $650/month without a roomate for 7 years,and really liked it. Of course, back then I also didn't mind walking a mile to/from the Path train for my commute. I'm not so willing to do that 20 years later
Hoboken has gotten a lot more expensive since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City