U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:07 AM

31,057 posts, read 31,957,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ask bldg mgmt about getting a USPS locker, its free
Is this for each individual apt.? Wouldn't it cost the building management to install something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 AM

18,765 posts, read 33,555,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Is this for each individual apt.? Wouldn't it cost the building management to install something like this?
It's not for each individual apartment. If you watch the YouTube video below, it shows you how it works. They put it in the lobby of your building and USPS installs it free of charge. My lobby has a parcel locker similar to the one that's labeled "1P" and "2P", however my parcel locker has 8 spots, so mine goes up to "8P".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD4aldDaeT8

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-04-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
It's not for each individual apartment. If you watch the YouTube video below, it shows you how it works. They put it in the lobby of your building and USPS installs it free of charge. My lobby has a parcel locker similar to the one that's labeled "1P" and "2P", however my parcel locker has 8 spots, so mine goes up to "8P".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD4aldDaeT8
So does one contact USPS or the building management about installing such a locker?

Old 02-04-2019, 05:53 PM

18,765 posts, read 33,555,246 times
Quote:
So does one contact USPS or the building management about installing such a locker?
Your property manager has to contact the manager of your local post office and tell them that they want it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-05-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Your property manager has to contact the manager of your local post office and tell them that they want it.
I read online the building management has no legal obligation to install these in older buildings unless the building is undergoing renovations of mailbox area. So I doubt the building management would do anything about this as it would still cost them money.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I read online the building management has no legal obligation to install these in older buildings unless the building is undergoing renovations of mailbox area. So I doubt the building management would do anything about this as it would still cost them money.
I just heard from someone in my building that spoke to the mail carrier who told him that the USPS will stop delivering packaging to anyone who lives above the second floor. Instead they will leave them a note to come pick up their stuff at the post office. What a hassle that will be!

Old 02-05-2019, 02:40 PM

1,060 posts, read 871,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
The OP's rent is to cover their expenses for their building- that includes the elevator.

Yup -- and the OP's rent is going toward repairing the elevator. So the OP's is getting his money's worth.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:00 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,468,352 times
Quote:
I just heard from someone in my building that spoke to the mail carrier who told him that the USPS will stop delivering packaging to anyone who lives above the second floor. Instead they will leave them a note to come pick up their stuff at the post office. What a hassle that will be!
USPS-They are just d*mn lazy! My last two buildings I lived in, I have had an elevator. They would ring the buzzer and make me come down to the lobby for my package.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:07 PM

10,879 posts, read 21,168,650 times
Quote:
Make friends with someone who lives on the 1st or 2nd floor and have your packages sent there. Or forget about friends -- maybe offer to pay someone $20 a month or something you think is reasonable for the convenience of shipping your packages to their address.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
USPS-They are just d*mn lazy! My last two buildings I lived in, I have had an elevator. They would ring the buzzer and make me come down to the lobby for my package.
I agree they don't even make an effort as even certified mail gets a note left in the mailbox when someone is home (and they don't ring bell/intercom at the entrance building) and I have had overseas registered mail left in my mailbox without me signing for it while the elevator was working. I'd be definitely willing to come downstairs to get any packages left for me if I was buzzed from downstairs assuming I am at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Make friends with someone who lives on the 1st or 2nd floor and have your packages sent there. Or forget about friends -- maybe offer to pay someone $20 a month or something you think is reasonable for the convenience of shipping your packages to their address.
I know the neighbor directly below on the 2nd floor but she usually spends the winter months in South America (where she is originally from) as she is retired. By the time she gets back perhaps the elevator will be restored?! Also there is a suspicion that it is one of the 2nd floor tenants who is absconding with people's packages and since I don't know who it is not I wouldn't want to try befriend someone without knowing that information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City