U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 07:38 AM

1,972 posts, read 566,940 times

Advertisements

I would never move to a 7th Floor unless it was modern. It should not take 3 months to fix an elevator unless the place is old. 1 month absolute max. Having said that, I would move out immediately and fight to break the lease with no consequences. Expecting someone to walk up and down 7 flights of stairs daily for 3 months is entirely unreasonable unless that is what they signed up for in the beginning. For anyone debating - Let's see YOU do it. And that's exactly what I would argue to the Judge.

I find it hilarious people who don't have to deal with the situation have so much to say about how it's not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 11:31 AM

21,406 posts, read 28,202,478 times
You deserve, and will get, a rent reduction for the forced 7 floor walkups. But you will have to fight for it in housing court, don't waste your time ASKING for it.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 PM

32,037 posts, read 32,836,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I would never move to a 7th Floor unless it was modern. It should not take 3 months to fix an elevator unless the place is old. 1 month absolute max. Having said that, I would move out immediately and fight to break the lease with no consequences. Expecting someone to walk up and down 7 flights of stairs daily for 3 months is entirely unreasonable unless that is what they signed up for in the beginning. For anyone debating - Let's see YOU do it. And that's exactly what I would argue to the Judge.

I find it hilarious people who don't have to deal with the situation have so much to say about how it's not a big deal.

I think there is a difference between fixing an elevator and completely replacing it. Fixing an elevator shouldn't take more than a couple of days at most. But completely replacing an elevator using the same old elevator shaft obviously is a more lengthy process and even if they worked 24/7 I doubt a month is an enough time to do it and then get the city inspectors to come sign off on it.

Luckily for me I live on the 3rd floor but I am not sure how people that live on 6th floor (which is the highest in my building) are to cope without an elevator for 3-4 months. I know the management sent out a letter that they would try to accommodate anyone who is disabled on an upper floor by seeing if they can move them down temporarily for the duration to the first floor but I don't think anyone did this.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:28 PM

21,406 posts, read 28,202,478 times
I think any building high enough to require an elevator should demand TWO. My tower has 4 if them (45 stories), and the lower sister buildings (17 stories) each have 2. THat way, an elevator goes out and you have to wait longer but you don't risk a coronary.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:52 PM

6,343 posts, read 5,824,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

You must've missed my post. It took 3 months for an elevator to get fixed where i live.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:45 PM

241 posts, read 60,119 times
at least you have an elevator...

Old 02-08-2019, 06:13 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,836,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think any building high enough to require an elevator should demand TWO. My tower has 4 if them (45 stories), and the lower sister buildings (17 stories) each have 2. THat way, an elevator goes out and you have to wait longer but you don't risk a coronary.
I assume that all newer buildings have at least 2 elevators but I doubt one could force owners to install somehow a second elevator in older buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City