Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:38 PM

8 posts, read 49,486 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in the upper east side in a one bedroom apt on the 7th floor of a 7 story building. We have been told by sources (not official yet) that our elevator may be taken out of service for repairs/replacement for about 3 months. Do we have a case to demand lower rent for this time period when it happens? What do you think the market rate is for a one bedroom 7 story walk up?

Last edited by Winkdaddy; 07-12-2010 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:12 PM

979 posts, read 4,455,823 times
Legally no, You can ask but most leases have a clause excluding any rent reduction when repairs inconvenience the tenants. If you can offer up any evidence that you were dependent on the elevator for some medical reason pre-shutdown then maybe you might have a constructive eviction leg to stand on. The only other option under RS rules it if the repair is not down in a timely fashion. Very hard to prove and honestly if they say 3 months look for at least 4 or 5. I'm in my second elevator renovation. First one was simple, replacing a cracked drum on an old drum machine (illegal now in NYC} 4 months. Second one is replacing the entire machine and shaft, going on now 1 year and 3 months, still another 4 or 5 months away from finish. Should never of decided on cement block, what a nightmare given the criminal activity of the concrete testing people.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:46 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
no, are you kidding, you just have to suck it up and deal with it, ike all the other tennants.
Would you rather the elevator be unsafe, and fail......

It's not the end of the world to walk up stairs......really?????

Old 07-13-2010, 06:52 AM
grant516

n/a posts
The OP's rent is to cover their expenses for their building- that includes the elevator.
Don't you legally need to have an elevator in a 7+ story building?

I think they should be entitled to something.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
The OP's rent is to cover their expenses for their building- that includes the elevator.
Don't you legally need to have an elevator in a 7+ story building?

I think they should be entitled to something.
They should be entitled to an elevator that works properly and safely. Would you want to live in a building where the management didn't make repairs as necessary?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 AM

50 posts, read 245,159 times
But hes not saying that management shouldn't make repairs (I assume hes not). Im sure he wants it repaired but while in the process of repairing which is 3 months (thats a long time) he has a legitimate case to argue for rent reduction especially if a person is an elderly and can only take elevator.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:50 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
You could ask for a reduction for the inconvenience, or you could request that they hire a temporary porter service to assist with groceries and packages that tenants would have to carry up the stairs, but you can only ask, and see what the management offers. And, if it's not official, perhaps they are working on a contingency to assist tenants, especially since no building wants to lose a good tenant over an inconvenience.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,147 times
Do us drivers get a discount in bridge tolls when construction is being performed which creates a traffic jam which is an inconvenience? NO. So the OP is not entitled to anything. And just like the other posters said...at least they are on top of the elevator maintance instead of it falling apartment while you're in it. Suck it up OP! Life isn't always fair.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
yeah seriously, this is just one of the things we have to suck up. When Con Edison has blaclouts, they do not give us a credit on our bill.....

Old 07-16-2010, 12:56 PM

8 posts, read 49,486 times
Ok, Ok, Ok...I wasn't asking for them NOT to make the reparis, just if it was common for buildings to reduce rents in these cases where our floor would have to walk 7 stories every day for 3+ months. I am new to NYC, so want to get a feel for how this sort of thing works....I suppose there is no harm in asking them to lower it a few hundred bucks and see what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City