Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 08:32 PM

6 posts, read 22,540 times

Advertisements

So I will be attending graduate school at Brooklyn College in the Fall. I currently reside in the Bronx, and plan on moving. Since I will be studying in Brooklyn it would make sense to move closer to school. There isn't a better way to say it this but, when I was younger I was stupid and decided to skip on a couple of bills, which caused a housing court stipulation and almost eviction, that was paid off by a one shot deal from the HRA. Since then, I grew up, corrected my credit, currently to a 700 on all three reports if you want to know and satisfied my debt to the landlord. I was never evicted, but since I was delinquent, it was posted on my on credit which currently says it was satisfied. I was recently turned down for an apartment due to the bad rep with my landlord that happened four years ago. The management company even told me I was a perfect candidate since I had the income, perfect credit and enough in the bank but the housing issue on my credit is what denied me. Would I have a lot of problems apartment searching because of this? My landlord did tell me they have a great relationship with me and will be willing to give me a recommendation letter. What are my chances in getting something for August 1st, honestly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 AM

43 posts, read 276,968 times
Thank god you were not evicted because if you were i'd say 10%. If you find a broker that will really work with you and offer to pay a certain amount upfront maybe 50% Yes you will have a lot of problems, I think the only way is finding a broker that has a good reputation with a few landlords so she can convince them to take you. Most places say NO right away but there are a few that will be a little more flexible, you just have to know where to look.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:42 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Can you explain what a "one shot deal" is from HRA? Who is HRA?

Old 07-13-2010, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 22,540 times
The HRA is the welfare office. I don't use any assistance but the landlord's attorney suggested it to me at that time. It's basically what it is, they give you up front money to I pay your rent. If you work you pay it back in monthly installments, if you don't work it's another free bonus, but they can only give it to you once. I received it and paid it back on time. Luckily enough I'm not dealing with a broker, it's the management company directly. I already gave them the application and the required documents that they asked for. They're waiting for the recommendation letter from my landlord, who promised to fax the letter to me, but they also asked if I am willing to pay two months security to up my chances.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Can you explain what a "one shot deal" is from HRA? Who is HRA?
"One shot deal" is money the city gives to a tenant that owes the landlord back rent. The tenant is in the court system for non-payment and is pretty much in the process of getting evicted for not paying their rent. It's like a life line and you can only use it once.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,316 times
how long does it take for the one shot deal to kick in. my worker told me 30 days

Old 11-25-2011, 04:18 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
OP, your best shoot is the LL's reccommendation AND bank records detailing your ON TIME rent payment each month since the one shot deal. Wouldn't hurt to provide documentation that you paid Welfare back too.

You should provide the above along with your applications, of course advise the broker/agent.

Being upfront and honest is the best way to approach 'trust' issues. Most people do the opposite, so when the red flags pop up, their actions appear right in line. What you want is for anyone reviewing your application, to note that you haven't tried to hide anything, have valid and honest reasons, have documented proof of changed behavior and responsibility.

Do NOT offer to pay months of rent upfront, such is nothing but a big red flag of risk! Low risk tenants have no need to pay upfront!! The question will always be what happens when the upfront money runs out? The upfront money doesn't dispell the risk of nonpayment, it just forestalls what, for a high risk tenant, is the inevitable nonpayment action.

Paying money upfront will not sway a professional LL who has a several hundred tenants. A single tenant's rent is a very small percentage of his gross, and is not worth the bookkeeping costs. A large professional LL is concerned with keeping the percentage of nonpaying tenants low, and additionally his overall court costs low. Its a big picture percentage game. Tenants unfortunately think small and personal.

Unfortunately, most professional LL's will turn down anyone with any L&T Court history. Doesn't matter what the circumstances of the court case, nor even if the tenant prevailed. Just the existence of a previous case is enough to be rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City