U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 8,614 times
Default Norwood - Safe for a woman at night?

I'm considering an apartment share in Norwood (Perry Ave, near Gun Hill Road) and the proximity of the subway and Metro North is terrific - but the neighborhood looks pretty run down. Is it a case of just a working class neighborhood that doesn't look great but the people keep to themselves? Or is it known for crime?

I'm a middle class, white woman in her late 30's - would I be relatively safe walking from the subway alone at night?

I've read many mixed reviews of the neighborhood, but mostly it sounds reasonably safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 AM

1,281 posts, read 1,846,173 times
I live in Bedford Park, which is the neighborhood south of Mosholu Parkway (south of Norwood). I think the area is pretty safe, but I'd have to admit I rarely find myself north of 204th Street so am not very familiar with that part of the neighborhood. I think the nicest parts are closer to Montifiore. I personally don't like to walk by myself late night, but feel entirely comfortable during the busier times during the evening. I guess I'd say if you keep pretty regular hours, you should be fine. If you're coming home at 1am, I wouldn't do it.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 AM

374 posts, read 535,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarian234 View Post
I'm considering an apartment share in Norwood (Perry Ave, near Gun Hill Road) and the proximity of the subway and Metro North is terrific - but the neighborhood looks pretty run down. Is it a case of just a working class neighborhood that doesn't look great but the people keep to themselves? Or is it known for crime?

I'm a middle class, white woman in her late 30's - would I be relatively safe walking from the subway alone at night?

I've read many mixed reviews of the neighborhood, but mostly it sounds reasonably safe.
I recently moved to back Bedford Park after leaving 7 years ago. I am very familiar with the general vicinity and while there are certain corners that are problematic, but overall it's still a decent area. The transportation is great, it's very quiet in most places north of Bedford Park Blvd., and the cheap shopping on Fordham Rd. is good if you are on a tight budget, not to mention the Zoo, Botanical Gardens, three colleges in the vicinity, and Arthur Ave./Little Italy, all of which are close by.

I would say for anyone, but especially as a woman, you want to make sure you a) have a good set of locks (2-3 Multi-Locks or Medeco, not cheap stuff) and b) window guards on the window(s) adjacent to the fire escape. Violent crime isn't horrible, but burglaries are common in the area (I was one victim in a string of burglries in the Norwood/Bedford Park/Fordham area in 2003).

As far as being white, we are no longer the majority, but we are not uncommon north of Bedford Park. There are plenty of Irish, Albanian, Yugoslavian, Jews, Italians, etc. in the vicinity. I moved up here 6 weeks ago from the South Bronx and my face is the map of Ireland. I really have never felt uneasy on the streets at night.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:33 PM

6,408 posts, read 10,678,661 times
This is a bit of a tough call.

Generally,I think Norwood is a great area for anyone looking for a nice,affordable neighborhood. Subways and trains are good,lots of great green space,big apartments in faded but well built prewar buildings,a pretty diverse shopping and restaurant area along Bainbridge and along 204th St and a nice mix of population.It is also quite peaceful for the most part.

Having said all of that, I do have some misgivings about Gun Hill Road at night, especially around Decatur,Hull and Webster.It's not a big crime hot spot but it is a little creepy late at night for someone not used to such an area.Perry and Gun hill would almost be a dividing line because it gets better towards Montefiore.
Are you talking about North of Gun Hill Road or South and what subway stop do you think you will be using?
I think you definitely should check the area out a few times at whatever hours you think you may be coming home and test your own comfort level. Walk from whatever subway you will use to the building and go up and down some of the side blocks to get a feel.

I have no misgivings about the area in general and even that part of Gun Hill Rd during the day and in the evening but as Yodel said,i wouldn't want to spend too much time on Gun Hill Rd at 1:00 a.m.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:33 PM

461 posts, read 1,123,978 times
Quote:

Norwood is a pretty safe area. The place you mentioned I'm very familar with. And overall I think you'll be fine. Gunhill Rd is a very commercial street with tons of stores so it always looks busy. Just like any NY neighborhood, you have your fair share of young people that are loud, rowdy and like to hang out but don't let that deter you from moving in. I think if you take the apartment, you will be just fine. Good luck and keep us posted how it goes.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is a bit of a tough call.

Are you talking about North of Gun Hill Road or South and what subway stop do you think you will be using?
I think you definitely should check the area out a few times at whatever hours you think you may be coming home and test your own comfort level. Walk from whatever subway you will use to the building and go up and down some of the side blocks to get a feel.
I will probably use the D train often, and possibly occasionally use the Williams Bridge Metro North Station (which means walking down Gun Hill Road back to Perry past the streets you mentioned). The apartment is just south of Gun Hill Road.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM

6,408 posts, read 10,678,661 times
Quote:
I will probably use the D train often, and possibly occasionally use the Williams Bridge Metro North Station (which means walking down Gun Hill Road back to Perry past the streets you mentioned). The apartment is just south of Gun Hill Road.
Check out both routes and see how it feels.It's the only way.
I would give the same advice to anyone looking at any neighborhood in NYC,not just here.It might depend on what time the businesses close and again, how late you will be out.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:22 AM

Default Update

I ended up moving too slowly for the apartment share in Norwood. But on the bright side I'm applying for a studio in Kingsbridge (a neighborhood I'm familiar with from my boyfriend living there). Thank you all for the advice, however.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:31 PM

461 posts, read 1,123,978 times
Quote:
I ended up moving too slowly for the apartment share in Norwood. But on the bright side I'm applying for a studio in Kingsbridge (a neighborhood I'm familiar with from my boyfriend living there). Thank you all for the advice, however.
You mean they found a new roommate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City