U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:58 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,676,301 times

Advertisements

I believe that Queens County (coterminous with the New York City Borough of Queens) is the only county n the U.S. where the median Black family income exceeds the median Caucasian family income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM

615 posts, read 419,915 times
Blacks and Latinos are much more likely to be have their living situation subsidized by the FED GOV than a white person. When a white person gets the chance to make some money on a realestate deal or find a place that is cheaper to live (it can't have many blacks or latinos either), they will move.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:46 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,511,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I believe that Queens County (coterminous with the New York City Borough of Queens) is the only county n the U.S. where the median Black family income exceeds the median Caucasian family income.
Yes, it was a few years ago. It will be interesting to see if there's any shift after the 2010 Census results are out.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:26 PM

343 posts, read 895,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Yes, it was a few years ago. It will be interesting to see if there's any shift after the 2010 Census results are out.
I doubt it.. Most of those incomes are stable. Civil Servants are huge in South Eastern Queens. Those people are stable for like 30 years, even when they retire and collect those full pensions!

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 921 times
Default White flight and blockbusting

Woozle says it was also white fear "and nothing more." Huh? Obviously this is a contradictory notion, but it attempts o oversimplify what happened. I lived in East New York in the 50s and "fled" in the early 60s. We had a few black neighbors. They were good, decent people. We held out longer than most but the caliber of blacks (and some whites) moving in was quite low. Crime began to soar. YES, we were afraid. Also, my grandfather who owned our house was warned by realtors that if we waited any longer to sell, we'd get next to nothing in a year or so. I KNOW all of this to be fact. I DON't know that the realtors were Jewish. More bigotry, I suspect. By the way, our black neighbors moved out before we did.
Woozle's oversimplification may comfort some who see bigotry in every aspect of life as the cause of every social phenomenon, but those of us who lived through it know the truth. We were not afraid of blacks, but for our safety.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:30 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,034,927 times
No to sum up everything into one paragraph.

White flight occurred after WW2 due to European people who did not want anything to do with anything different AKA Chinese/Americana-eyes syndrome. Various lesser European immigrant groups ( who are classed as Jewish as well ) were the original people living their. They took this opportunity to drop the value and cost of living for everybody in the area. In comparison to "Israel( Palestine )" NYC ( or the entire eastern block ) have almost more Jews then Israel. Why not have the American dream and carry around a knife or gun in the open ( because that is the law ) while your on your religious walks.

Dodgers are in LA for other reasons. Keep in mind that California was this awesome place to live. Once upon a time.

Also somebody mentioned Highways. As with Elevator trains they also have many of these things in or near lower-income housing.

Bottom-line racial tensions was probably used as an motivator. Because as we all know Europeans want to have the 1960's without anything non-Europeans.

Last edited by RegalSin; 01-25-2015 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 01:41 PM

9,871 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
1. Dodgers are in LA?

2. White Flight occurred because when people came home from the WW2 they did not want to do anything that was non-European. Meaning no Asians, no Negros, no and Latin-X. What you have to understand is that NYC has always have and will be filled with Ghettos. How you know your inside an Ghetto area? When everybody starts to look the same, talk the same, dress the same etc. This was originally, Italian, Irish, and other European variants.

3. Racism ( the media ) help fuel the movement because people got televisions, they started to think differently. Before that nobody really cared at all. After that everybody cared. Racism that is drilled into the minds of people even before they were born help create this.

4. While nobody really notice that NYC makes up for almost more Jews in Palestine. So think about what kind of person would want property values to go down. I will tell you something funny. Did you know people carried knives openly. Like an gun some people carried knives openly in plain sight and this could be spotted at nights usually...........

5. Just for fun while red-lining did occur the original owners of the dwellings did not really change for the most part. You can do an search and see how it was handed down from generation to generation. Again spite that think about the negative views of Judism as well.

6. People in the war made friends with all kinds of people as well. They just packed up and move where their friends are.

7. While people did get Chinese-eyes ( when you start thinking like an East-Asianer ) they also had gained Americana-eyes syndrome ( when you start thinking like somebody from the mid-west ). They wanted to be where the action was as well.

8. I am tired mentioning Jew this and Jue that. A lot of the older people ( real NYC people ) will admit that the Jews wanted this and that all to themselves. This starts to off topic; but their is also corruption in religious practices as well.
I had a lot of trouble following your points. Are you basically just saying blame the Jews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or