Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 12:23 AM

811 posts, read 2,324,432 times

Advertisements

Which is considered better, and what are the feelings associated with each, upper east side and upper west side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,258,273 times
The west side has better subway access.

There are effectively two east sides, west of Lexington and east of Lexington. West of Lex is old money, high-society, ladies-who-lunch land with business that cater to them. East of Lex is much more middle-class (by Manhattan standards). Housing is cheaper, etc. However, it's cheaper because it's a bit drab and a long walk from the train.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,071,587 times
I don't really think one is better than the other. Did you have a specific reason for the question? There are more subway lines on the west side. The west side is also much more expensive than the east side overall. I lived on the upper east side and loved it. Yes, I had a hike to the train but it didn't bother me. I loved the shops, restaurants, and grocery stores. If you have a specific question that you want answered about each side - that would be better. Otherwise, it's just a matter of personal opinion as to which is "better." They are both lovely areas.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,224,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The west side has better subway access.

There are effectively two east sides, west of Lexington and east of Lexington. West of Lex is old money, high-society, ladies-who-lunch land with business that cater to them. East of Lex is much more middle-class (by Manhattan standards). Housing is cheaper, etc. However, it's cheaper because it's a bit drab and a long walk from the train.
Walking from 2nd Avenue to the subway is not exactly a long jaunt. I would actually like a little exercise in the morning and evening.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM

403 posts, read 1,389,973 times
Go check each out and see how you feel about them. The upper west has more subway access. More "neighborhoody", more diverese. The UES, is either ultra rich or young professional. More stereo-typical manhattan. High rises, doormen, high society. Neither area is super hip. Better deals can be found east of lex in the UES. Both have central park as an amenity which is amazing. The east side has carl shultz park and gracie mansion, the west side has riverside. Your preference depends on you and what you want. If you're working on the east side, its easier to live on the east side and vice versa.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,924,262 times
The UWS has much bigger Apartments ........ The UES has always been the chic palce to live..

It's a lifestyle where you feel you would feel most comfortable living.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,266,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Walking from 2nd Avenue to the subway is not exactly a long jaunt. I would actually like a little exercise in the morning and evening.
But walking from 81st between 1st and York to the train at 77th and Lex., every day, in rain, snow, cold or heat, can be a real pain. I did it for a while and it almost doubled the commute time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
The UWS has much bigger Apartments ........ The UES has always been the chic palce to live..
I don't know if I agree that the UES is a "chic" place to live. West of Lexington, it's the place for old money to live, but that's kind of boring. East of Lexington are some relative deals (I use the term semi-sarcastically), especially in walkup buildings. As a result, a lot of people under 25 live there, especially in the 1st-3rd Av. area. Some of the bars there feel like a frat party six months after graduation.

As a matter of personal taste, aesthetically and culturally I prefer the UWS. The eastern half of the UES has a lot ugly non-descript high-rises that went up in the mid-20th century. Less of this on the west side. The UWS I always considered more intellectual.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,465,680 times
UWS in a heartbeat

Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 8,784 times
Also confused as to why UWS seems to be cheaper per sq ft than UES, we are moving to manhattan in august, & have 2 months to find somewhere to rent. The admin office at the kids new school (waterside plaza) told me that I would have trouble getting the school bus from UWS, does anyone know if this is true? She also said Gramercy Park area or UES were best, but struggling to find affordable housing.
Can anyone help please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City