U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,753,954 times

Advertisements

Sort of makes you wonder why MTA just brought out 16 brand-new upper managers, doesn't it? You'd think that if they were as tight on money as they say they are, that's about the last move they'd make. But, as we say in this town, go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 AM

59 posts, read 133,696 times
Even if the board cut their pay to $1 a year each it wouldn't do much to close the budget gap of over $400 million in 2010 alone.

The MTA gets its funding from payroll and property taxes. The Great Recession caused the NYC condo/housing market to decline and caused many people on Wall Street, the construction industry and retail to lose their jobs. Fewer payroll taxes and lower priced property equals budget woes. Until the funding matrix is changed and made recession proof, these crises are going to happen.

It's completely bizarre that the MTA is funded in a way that forces it into deficits exactly when people need it the most.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 AM

15,237 posts, read 23,808,631 times
They should have kept the tokens, there was no litter with them. They worked fine for all those years. You either had one or you didn't. the turnstile always worked.
The MTA had been crying about money for the last un-teen times....i want to know, What did they do woth all the money from all the other fare hikes.

This is all BS already.

I think 1 day everyone in the metro area should not use the subway. As people we do have power...

Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,658,843 times
The NY metro will become solely for the wealthy as they can absorb this type bureaucratic BS.

This is why (as I live in Northern NJ) am eyeing out of this region of "dollaring" away at regular "joe-shmoes" like me.

There's greed coming from the MTA same like the Teachers Union in NJ in which Gov. Christie put brakes on. You need LEADERSHIP in NY, I see none and plenty of BS.

How much $$$ away from peoples pockets can one take while the fat cats thrive on the sweat of others?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by citycondo View Post
I use the unlimited because I work ...a lot all over the place not just one borough.
Its lame they keep making cuts, obviously the Board is paying themselves to much and investigation should be done and the city should get involved...the city needs MTA we don't need cars!!

Charge a toll by .35cents to drive your gas guzzler into the city..not people who depend on buses and trains! I mean c'mon!
THIS IS NYC not L.A!
We drivers already pay $11 to go Round trip over a bridge or tunnel, you know how much of that $11 goes to the actual bridge repair/maintenence. $.80 cents.

You know where the other $10.20 goes... to feed the money bleeding Bus/Subway system.

If there were no cars, the MTA would fold overnight.
A huge portion of their operating income is from taxes and tolls for motorists in the entire state.

Subway, Ferry, and Bus riders need to pay their fare share- which sadly, would equate to over $5 per trip to make neds meet.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 AM

142 posts, read 361,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
We drivers already pay $11 to go Round trip over a bridge or tunnel, you know how much of that $11 goes to the actual bridge repair/maintenence. $.80 cents.

You know where the other $10.20 goes... to feed the money bleeding Bus/Subway system.

If there were no cars, the MTA would fold overnight.
A huge portion of their operating income is from taxes and tolls for motorists in the entire state.

Subway, Ferry, and Bus riders need to pay their fare share- which sadly, would equate to over $5 per trip to make neds meet.
Where did you get this information?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
Where did you get this information?
From the MTA's accountability information, which is also publicly available from their website, as well as directly confirmed from 2 Board Members (one NYCT, one LIRR) during their 2009 Emergency Budget Hearing in Garden City, NY.

Check out operating budget vs. fare income. The only positive income of any of their agencies is TBTA, and it's quite clear- that money is not being invested back into TBTA but goes straight into the other agencies... or more likely straight into the pockets of the MTA executive board.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 23,660 times
Getting rid of the unlimited metrocard is moronic. If they're strapped for cash, bump the fare up and bump the unlimited up by a similar amount to cover the 2-trips-daily average. Failing that they could be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century and move to Oyster/RFID cards like most other civilized cities.

I was under the impression most tolls went back into maintaining the bridges themselves.

Either way, anything that cuts down on traffic in Manhattan is a good thing, congestion charging, bridge tolls.. whatever. I'm utterly sick of seeing five million empty taxis and single-occupant BMW's speeding past me like maniacs every time I try to walk anywhere.

The MTA itself is in dire need of a kick up the backside on all levels. It's unbelievable that in this day and age we still employ people to walk up and down a train punching holes in tickets on the LIRR, for instance.

The stations have negligible climate control, the authority seems to work at a quarter of the speed of anywhere else in the world when it comes to...well, just about everything really... and all in all you get the impression that the MTA as a whole is composed of a bunch of scruffy, lazy half-assed bastards who prefer to shuffle around listlessly in dark cupboards rather than actually work.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,658,843 times
They may say they're bleeding this into that, but there's probably $$ corruption IMO.

This is what happens when unions bleed more and more from the people outside the MTA.

Not saying that regular MTA workers don't have a right to make a decent wage, but I think there's more if one looks deeper (via the higher-ups) than meets the eye.

How do other countries do it then?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrogogov View Post

I was under the impression most tolls went back into maintaining the bridges themselves.
The maintainence is minimal. It costs the same to maintain the Williamsburg and Queensboro bridges, but those maintain their no-charge status.

Over 80% of the bridge tolls go into subsidizing mass transit.

Which in many cases I can accept and understand, but for people whose point it is to travel outside of NYC, specifically those who commute from Nassau to Westchester or vice versa- are forced now in two ways to pay for a system that has absolutely no benefit to them.

Robert Moses agreed to absolve TBTA monies into the NYCT/MTA for a government position hoping to finish his transit network with one final bridge that circumvented NYC altogether, but we all know where that one went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City