U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:27 AM

581 posts, read 1,035,674 times

Advertisements

guys...stop the complaining. go drive your car to work. take the taxi. have your husband/wife/brother/sister/friend take you to work. walk.

we want convenience and we want it at OUR cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
we want convenience and we want it at OUR cost.
I'm not sure, but with that comment you might be in contention for the most hilarious posting of the week. (If you hadn't used that word 'convenience,' then no cigar!)

Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 AM

581 posts, read 1,035,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm not sure, but with that comment you might be in contention for the most hilarious posting of the week. (If you hadn't used that word 'convenience,' then no cigar!)
whats wrong with the comment?

Person A comes on the bus: Yow ma man, I only got 1.50. Besides Im only going a few blocks anyway....

And?.... why dont you walk if you feel you are only going a few blocks so paying 1.50 shouldnt be a problem?

Person B comes on the bus: Throws 1.15 in the farebox. (didnt say anything) At the end of the line while on their way out they are asking for a transfer.

If you want to go where you are going and the most convenient way to get there is to take the bus, pay the right fare. Don't pay what you feel is warranted.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If they are tight on money, then the obvious choice is to get away from unlimited cards. Historically we have never had unlimited access, so with the MTA strapped it makes sense to revoke the unlimited cards. I would prefer keeping them, but if it saves money so be it. It probably should never have been introduced in the first place.
"Strapped" or mis-managed?

Unlimited along with a number of other benefits is what they used to sell the idea of the Metrocard in the first place.

It won't "save money", it will simply cover the errors of management.

The MTA is in its current position as the result of poor economic projections. Its so preposterous, the world breaks and everyone knows that previous revenue projections were no longer real, but the MTA continue to project GROWTH! How freaking assine is that? Only the NYS Assembly demonstrates demonstrates greater.

Quote:
the MTA cannot afford to keep it.
Please do not say this as it is untrue. Because one wasted the opportunity to afford a thing, does not mean the thing could not have been afforded.

For example, I spend the rent money gambling at Atlantic City, lose it all and get evicted. I didn't get evicted because I couldn't afford the rent, I got evicted because I was stupid!

=========

Old 07-18-2010, 01:40 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrogogov View Post

Either way, anything that cuts down on traffic in Manhattan is a good thing, congestion charging, bridge tolls.. whatever. I'm utterly sick of seeing five million empty taxis and single-occupant BMW's speeding past me like maniacs every time I try to walk anywhere.
Please don't jaywalk.

Want to reduce traffic? Reduce illegal and legal immigration!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The whole metrocard thing is the equivalent of one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on NYC.

First, they convince people that carrying money is just too, too difficult, and the metrocard will help them. Next, they create a card encouraging people to buy in bulk, providing the MTA with a permanent interest-free loan. They provide a card which, unlike tokens, can be damaged and is easily lost since you can't hear it fall, losing the rider's money. The card doesn't show times, so that if you use it on a bus, you have no record of when the transfer will expire. Then they accustom riders to yet more electronic surveillance. Then they arrange it so that booths can't provide refunds, knowing that fewer people will go to the trouble to mail the MTA about problems. Then they gradually hike the price progressively until it's no longer any kind of bargain.

And so on.
Ditto, ditto, ditto, DITTO!!!!!

===========

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
NJT has now sadly joined the MTA in wasteful spending , our New Transit chief gets paided 160k along with a few New Higher ups. It disgusts me that both agencies get away with it , while the Governors of both states it ignore it.
$160,000 that's laughable!!!! Hilarious.

In a region where all "masters of the universe" earn SEVEN figure salaries, its impossible for a government agency to attract competent talent, let alone the best talent. Even if appropriate salaries were to be had, why would anyone competent take such a job, with all the BS involved. There are at least 100,000 other jobs paying better and with less hassle.

============

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yeah, it's mismanaged. And wasteful to a degree that competes with the Federal government. But the city doesn't function without it. And on top of everything else, electric trains don't pollute.
Dear Fred,

Please think. How long do you think that the City, State and Federal governments in their present and future financial state can continue to subsidize the Agency's mismanagement? Is there not a point at which there is no more money? At such a point, how does the city function then?

The fact of the matter is that the present circumstance cannot continue forever; nor even into the foreseeable future!

Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Dear Fred,

Please think. How long do you think that the City, State and Federal governments in their present and future financial state can continue to subsidize the Agency's mismanagement? Is there not a point at which there is no more money? At such a point, how does the city function then?
As long as the agency has a near monopoly on both public transit and private transit for (the physicial) Long Island & Staten.

The day that strangehold comes up... it's curtains.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,078,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
MTA eyes up 90-trip limit on unlimited monthly MetroCards, 21-ride limit on weekly cards

I dont have problem with the 1$ surcharge as it will teach people to refill their cards instead of replacing...I see alot of MetroCard littler in the subways....

but killing the Unlimiteds is not right.....the MTA even admits that only a very small portion uses their cards more than 4 times a day...so why even bother.

I dont understand it....

MTA mulling plan to hike cost of unlimited monthly MetroCard by $15

$104 dollars for an uncapped unlimited card, $99 for a limited-unlimited card, It pretty much comes down to how much you use your card. Does using an unlimited card from bus to subway count as a transfer, or is it credited as a single ride again?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
I think I would pay the extra $5 and get the true unlimited plan.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:57 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,902,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
MTA mulling plan to hike cost of unlimited monthly MetroCard by $15

$104 dollars for an uncapped unlimited card, $99 for a limited-unlimited card, It pretty much comes down to how much you use your card. Does using an unlimited card from bus to subway count as a transfer, or is it credited as a single ride again?
Wow. Remember when the unlimited Metrocards were $63?

Unless it's a true 90-ride card and the rides don't disappear after 30 days, I don't see the point of having a capped "unlimited" Metrocard when all your saving is a Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City