Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 AM

966 posts, read 2,444,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
nyc has no where near jumped the bandwagon...but i thought in houstan blacks and mexicans were very cool with eachother.
Thank goodness. I will be returning from my leave of absence in August. I don't want to be blindsided.

As for Houston, we were cool with each other once upon a time--back in the day as they say--but things are changing. Nothing as brutal as in LA or in certain parts of the midwest, to my knowledge. One research study narrowed it down to a "slim majority" of largely US-born Chicanos having no problems with Black people. He says that new arrivals from Mexico harbor horrible stereotypes or preconceptions of Black people. Here in Madison, the Tejanos (Mexican-Americans or Chicanos from Texas) are the least hostile toward us as Black Americans. They just seem to be playing it cool though and not being overly friendly either. Sad...

Last edited by Nala8; 07-14-2010 at 01:59 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 03:17 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I notice a lot of the Latinos in the city are darker. Some are even black. Where are these black latinos coming from?
There are different kinds of Latinos: white Latinos, black Latinos, mulatto Latinos, Native American Latinos etc. Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic have a substantial amount of black and mixed Latinos from slavery, especially the Dominican Republic.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 AM

142 posts, read 418,573 times
I'm black and the black latinos are cool with me. They are very friendly IMO. We have similar histories...ie slavery...so that would be silly to fight. If there are fights I'm sure it's gang related and not about race. Well, I hope so anyway.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 AM

684 posts, read 1,818,870 times
At the end of the day its about people not knowing their history. And its pretty sad. There are so many people out here who have been taught to believe they are something they're not its unreal. As an example just the other day I was reading about how in D.R. theres a bar that now bans homosexuals and blacks ! But many Dominicans are of african decent. SMH. When I think of many of the issues between blacks and latinos it just makes me smh. Because a lot of it is spewed from ignorance...

Old 07-14-2010, 09:00 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
Is this gonna turn out to be another la type situation? In staten island it's already getting crazy to a point where Latinos and blacks are fighting jut because a person is Latino or black... In my neighborhood a Latino guy got killed after a Spanish only party turned violent because some black dudes went inside
What exactly was the situation with that Spanish only party. I read a news article about that incident and never did it mention that a group of blacks tried to enter a home or apartment where are party for Spanish only was being held. This led me to believe that maybe it was a block party? If this is the case I don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone you can't walk on this block cause this is a Spanish only party, But if these guys did indeed try to enter a Home, they had no business doing so uninvited...

Old 07-14-2010, 09:31 AM

988 posts, read 3,253,780 times
This is my personal observation:

Honestly, many Latinos in NYC do not have much in common.
Dominicians and Puerto Ricans don't get along for the most part. Both hate Mexicans and Central American Hispanics with a passion. The Mexicans here(newly immigrated) are nice to me(Black) but they don't have the numbers here to really start forcing their muscle. However, their numbers are growing quickly and they'll have a powerful stronghold in less than 10 years. I lived in Texas and Chicago and for the most part, Blacks got along with Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. However, the Mexicans and Puerto Ricans don't get along there where the Mexicans have much higher numbers in Chicago. Note: There aren't many Puerto Ricans in Texas.

In LA, Mexicans and Central Americans have the numbers by far and from what I heard, used to get along with the Blacks for a while. Blacks used to target Mexicans for robberies, assaults, etc when their numbers were smaller but the tide has turned. The Mexican Mafia prison gang mobilized most of the Southern Cali Hispanic gangs and basically are trying to eradicate Blacks gang members and innocent bystanders. Compton and Watts are a majority Mexican now. Watch gangland and also many of my friends there confirm it especially if you live in the hood. If you're black in a gang-infested Mexican neighborhood in the LA area, there's a high probability that you'll be hurt or worse.

Back to the point, you can't categorize Latinos as one monolithic people so it's very difficult to determine if they're "Latino" vs Black racial tensions. Many Puerto Ricans have a lot in common with Blacks and others have more in common with Italians, etc and don't care much about Blacks. I know Black Dominicans that swear that they're not Black and will go out of their way to not be classified as Black(see Sammy Sosa). On the other hand, lots of Black Dominicans use to N-word more than anyone and act "ghetto" as anyone.

As far as I know, most Latinos and Blacks get along well but not in areas where Hispanics have the majority like Southern California and even South Texas(low Black numbers). The East Coast is fine for now but once the Mexican and Central populations explode which it inevitably will, it'll be interesting to see how Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and other "Latinos" will react.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
Is this gonna turn out to be another la type situation? In staten island it's already getting crazy to a point where Latinos and blacks are fighting jut because a person is Latino or black... In my neighborhood a Latino guy got killed after a Spanish only party turned violent because some black dudes went inside
The only event I heard about involving a party on Staten Island involved latino on latino crime. Youths Attempt to Flee Police as Party Goes Awry.
What incident are you talking about?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
there are different kinds of latinos: White latinos, black latinos, mulatto latinos, native american latinos etc. Puerto rico and dominican republic have a substantial amount of black and mixed latinos from slavery, especially the dominican republic.
all the panamanians i met in brooklyn were all black also.

Funny thing is in panama blacks are not the majority.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
This is my personal observation:

Honestly, many Latinos in NYC do not have much in common.
Dominicians and Puerto Ricans don't get along for the most part. Both hate Mexicans and Central American Hispanics with a passion. The Mexicans here(newly immigrated) are nice to me(Black) but they don't have the numbers here to really start forcing their muscle. However, their numbers are growing quickly and they'll have a powerful stronghold in less than 10 years. I lived in Texas and Chicago and for the most part, Blacks got along with Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. However, the Mexicans and Puerto Ricans don't get along there where the Mexicans have much higher numbers in Chicago. Note: There aren't many Puerto Ricans in Texas.

In LA, Mexicans and Central Americans have the numbers by far and from what I heard, used to get along with the Blacks for a while. Blacks used to target Mexicans for robberies, assaults, etc when their numbers were smaller but the tide has turned. The Mexican Mafia prison gang mobilized most of the Southern Cali Hispanic gangs and basically are trying to eradicate Blacks gang members and innocent bystanders. Compton and Watts are a majority Mexican now. Watch gangland and also many of my friends there confirm it especially if you live in the hood. If you're black in a gang-infested Mexican neighborhood in the LA area, there's a high probability that you'll be hurt or worse.

Back to the point, you can't categorize Latinos as one monolithic people so it's very difficult to determine if they're "Latino" vs Black racial tensions. Many Puerto Ricans have a lot in common with Blacks and others have more in common with Italians, etc and don't care much about Blacks. I know Black Dominicans that swear that they're not Black and will go out of their way to not be classified as Black(see Sammy Sosa). On the other hand, lots of Black Dominicans use to N-word more than anyone and act "ghetto" as anyone.

As far as I know, most Latinos and Blacks get along well but not in areas where Hispanics have the majority like Southern California and even South Texas(low Black numbers). The East Coast is fine for now but once the Mexican and Central populations explode which it inevitably will, it'll be interesting to see how Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and other "Latinos" will react.
thats exactly what i was saying , great post

Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
a lot of second and third generation puerto ricans are mixed with black.

a lot of darker dominicans tend to migrate to america.

as for Panamanians , i noticed 90 percent of them are black like black americans but if you go to the country youll notice the complete opposite.

also i noticed that alot of blacks from panama , Guatemala , and costa rica have west indian heritage mainly Jamaican.

U know a lot of 2nd and third generation puertoricans living on the mainland aregalso mixed with irish. Up in the bronx many puerto ricans are mixed with italians. In castle hill there is many half indo guyanese and half boricua. It seems puerto ricans are cool with everybodym
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City