U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 PM

14,896 posts, read 17,458,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
From what I've noticed in 34 yrs. Is that alot of first generation Mexicans do tend to be racist twards blacks. Its a mental sterotype, and I believe an inferiority complex some mexicans have within themselves..But i know for a fact Puertoricans are a lot more warmer and accepting culture than most first generation Mexicans are..I've lived in Cali, PR, and NYC..So I've seen it first hand.
I agree, I live in mott haven and mexicans and blacks out right avoid each other I'm not sure if it is the inferiority complex or just a language barrier problem. To some black people I know they say mexicans are easy targets. Also lots of dominicans don't like mexican they chase them down. Blacks in mott haven also chase down dominicans aswell. It seems that the fleeing puerto ricans hold a relative peace that's not so fragile with other ethnic groups. Puerto ricans are very accepting. I grew up in a predomiantly puerto rican niegborhood and all the ricans, even till now assumed I was puerto rican because of my looks physiq and swag. but they did not know I was first generation guyanese american. However many puertoricans took me and accepted me as a. Brother, family, friend mentor etc. They thought all guyanese were indians but no. Out of any ethnic group in nyc puerto ricans had the biggest impact on me.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 AM

27 posts, read 77,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
U know a lot of 2nd and third generation puertoricans living on the mainland aregalso mixed with irish. Up in the bronx many puerto ricans are mixed with italians. In castle hill there is many half indo guyanese and half boricua. It seems puerto ricans are cool with everybodym
I've met quite a few girls mixed Guyanese/Puerto Rican and they were so pretty. I've met a lot of White/Puerto Rican mixes too (particularly Italian).

Anyway, from my experience, there is no obvious racial tension between Latinos and Blacks in NYC. There are Latinos who may not like Blacks and vice versa, but it's not as bad as southern California. Puerto Ricans and Blacks get along best, with Blacks and Dominicans it depends (some are cool with Blacks some aren't) but Blacks and Central/South Americans tend to have the most differences. I don't think it's always racism that separates them, but at times the differences in cultures.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,142,862 times
I've never noticed even the slightest tension between blacks and Latinos, and I live in a neighborhood where we are by far the majority. Most hostility is actually intraracial.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:00 AM

142 posts, read 361,148 times
Why is everyone so interested in Blacks and Hispanics? Go back to avoiding us like you typically do.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 AM

1,919 posts, read 4,808,849 times
Well, are some Domenicans black? I was at a party in the city and made a statement about this woman being a really pretty black girl to her friend. I wanted to get her name. She heard me and "freaked out." She yelled at me and said she's not a black N----r, she's Domenican. The only thing I saw different about her and any other black woman was her accent, she was even wearing a weave.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,381,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Well, are some Domenicans black? I was at a party in the city and made a statement about this woman being a really pretty black girl to her friend. I wanted to get her name. She heard me and "freaked out." She yelled at me and said she's not a black N----r, she's Domenican. The only thing I saw different about her and any other black woman was her accent, she was even wearing a weave.
you sure she aint say " i'm not black n i g g a"? if she really said n-gger then thats just insane , i actually know a black dominican girl and she is one of the few that will see herself as a beautiful black women.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:02 AM

Ignore my last post. I got my answer. Sammy Sosa LOL!!! Talk about trying to "pass." I just read that the actress that played LT. Uhura in the last Star Trek movie is from the DR and my friend just e-mailed me a pic of Tego Calderone. I don't think either of them can deny their African ancestry. Besides that hair what's so bad about being black? The best looking women are dark skinned Africans and dark skinned Indians IMO. Look at Iman in the 70's.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:09 AM

423 posts, read 1,103,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
From what I've noticed in 34 yrs. Is that alot of first generation Mexicans do tend to be racist twards blacks. Its a mental sterotype, and I believe an inferiority complex some mexicans have within themselves..But i know for a fact Puertoricans are a lot more warmer and accepting culture than most first generation Mexicans are..I've lived in Cali, PR, and NYC..So I've seen it first hand.
Oh please, over here none of the Mexicans I know (trust me, I know a lot) even care about blacks... they're more interested in working and their family.

Now you're talking about Cali... in Cali I HAVE seen discrimination from Mexicans towards blacks, mainly the cholos that want to attack them in particular.

And a true story: My father told me back in the 80s in my neighborhood they were afraid to walk back home from work at night because of the Puerto Ricans in the neighborhood that would rob them

And btw have you seen what's happening in Staten Island? Mexicans are getting attacked left and right and for what reason? Because they're viewed as easy targets for various reasons... and I know for a fact that type of stuff would not fly over there in Cali.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:15 AM

She had a thick spanish accent, which by the way surprised me. From the accent, not everything she said was clear but it was clear to me that she was offended that I thought she was black. Most of the Latinos moving to LI seem to be from Central America and Mexico, people from the DR J guess are moving to the city rather than out here so, forgive this ignorant LIer.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,381,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
She had a thick spanish accent, which by the way surprised me. From the accent, not everything she said was clear but it was clear to me that she was offended that I thought she was black. Most of the Latinos moving to LI seem to be from Central America and Mexico, people from the DR J guess are moving to the city rather than out here so, forgive this ignorant LIer.
the world is such amazing place with some weird people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or