U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 AM

8 posts, read 28,967 times

Advertisements

My landlord and the police are making my husband and I sign a form stating we will not sue our landlord for our moving expenses due to living in an illegal basement. Our landlord stole $1500 from us last month and agreed to pay it back if we didnt report him to the police. I did report him 2 weeks later after he refused to pay me when i asked for it. Police officer who took the report was an ass and called me a liar and said that he cant do anything to the landlord because its his word against mine. The landlord is now only willing to give back the money as "moving expenses" and only if we sign a form stating we cannot sue him for any hardships we incur due to having to move out and terminate our lease.

I have a receipt of 1 payment the landlord made to us for the money he stole. My question is how can i prove in court that i was forced to sign the paper forfeiting my right to sue. The only reason im considering suing is because i think he should have to pay for our moving expenses ( we're moving into a hotel tomorrow. We havent found an apartment yet) and not by giving me back my own money.

Additional information
The police were jerks to me when i called them due to the landlord harassing me about moving. They told me several times that they were going to get an eviction notice from a judge and make me move. This was a city inspector who told me that. Then a cop told me that I have no right to sue the landlord and that im being greedy for trying to sue. Cop told the landlord to just " keep the $1500, get a lawyer and evict them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 06:20 AM

64,529 posts, read 66,075,955 times
GET A LAWYER....dont ask this kind of advice on an internet forum.odds are it wont be correct...

Old 07-14-2010, 06:21 AM

26 posts, read 59,279 times
Two words. Judge Judy...

Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM

982 posts, read 3,842,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuasheart View Post
My landlord and the police are making my husband and I sign a form stating we will not sue our landlord for our moving expenses due to living in an illegal basement. Our landlord stole $1500 from us last month and agreed to pay it back if we didnt report him to the police. I did report him 2 weeks later after he refused to pay me when i asked for it. Police officer who took the report was an ass and called me a liar and said that he cant do anything to the landlord because its his word against mine. The landlord is now only willing to give back the money as "moving expenses" and only if we sign a form stating we cannot sue him for any hardships we incur due to having to move out and terminate our lease.

I have a receipt of 1 payment the landlord made to us for the money he stole. My question is how can i prove in court that i was forced to sign the paper forfeiting my right to sue. The only reason im considering suing is because i think he should have to pay for our moving expenses ( we're moving into a hotel tomorrow. We havent found an apartment yet) and not by giving me back my own money.

Additional information
The police were jerks to me when i called them due to the landlord harassing me about moving. They told me several times that they were going to get an eviction notice from a judge and make me move. This was a city inspector who told me that. Then a cop told me that I have no right to sue the landlord and that im being greedy for trying to sue. Cop told the landlord to just " keep the $1500, get a lawyer and evict them.
I'm not sure why the police are involved in what would normally be a civil matter. Whatever the cop on the scene says sounds like his personal opinion and not NYPD policy. An eviction is usually carried out be city marshals with the police being called in only if it turns into a armed stand off. Your lease is the evidence needed to initiate a suit against the LL. If it says it was intended for you to live there and there is no legal status given to the space by the City to do so then you can seek damages, but you need to pursue it with a lawyer. If you've signed something under duress then that can be voided with some evidence to that effect. There are tenant lawyers who will take this on for nothing up front if it appears to be a slam dunk.

I am wondering if there is something else to this story.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 AM

8 posts, read 28,967 times
How can I prove that I signed the document under duress? what evidence do i need?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 AM

316 posts, read 856,621 times
Quote:
How can I prove that I signed the document under duress? what evidence do i need?
Talk to a LAWYER, not to the internet!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 AM

10,602 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
My landlord and the police are making my husband and I sign a form stating we will not sue our landlord for our moving expenses due to living in an illegal basement.

Additional information
The police ... told me several times that they were going to get an eviction notice from a judge and make me move.
I'm really surprised. The police are now getting involved in making people sign forms regarding their right to sue their landlord?

And why would the police have to tell you anything "several times" ? Are you calling them several times with the same story?

It would be best if you stop wasting police resources on a civil matter. There is definitely another side to this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City