U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Zuz Zuz started this thread

1 posts, read 15,338 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am moving to NY (Manhattan) in August, from Las Vegas.... I'm driving there with my stuff (yey!)

And I am wondering do I sell my car and rent a truck B4 I go or see if I need it in NY before I sell?
Will I be able to park my little SUV on the street while I move? Will I be towed, or stolen hmmm.

Having had a car always- I already feel naked about letting it go! How do people do it?

Any advice would be great!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,618,358 times
I always had a car in NYC (Manhattan & Brooklyn) but they are torture to park. If you can afford a parking garage that's the way to go, or just play it by ear the first couple of weeks or so, and see how comfortable you are with or without wheels.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:23 PM

317 posts, read 745,452 times
Default No need for a car in Manhattan!

First of all, welcome to Noo Yawk!

You can easily live in Manhattan without wheels. In fact, having a car will make life harder, not easier. While some areas in the other NYC boroughs can be fairly car-friendly (or require a car to get around), in Manhattan it's not necessary. Firstly, parking is always an issue. You will either need to use a garage -- which is not cheap at all; you'd basically have a second rent to pay -- or you will have to learn the ropes of alternate side-of-the-street parking rules. Meaning you have to deal with moving your car every two mornings if you decide to park on the street. That's to allow for the street cleaning vehicles to get through in the a.m. If you don't move your car when the street cleaners come through, not only do they ticket you but they slap this big ugly sticker on your windows! You see people sitting in their cars at 6am with the motors running, reading a paper, so they don't have to move it. It's tricky stuff and you have to keep track of the days and when the rules are suspended (here is a link)! You wouldn't park very easily on the avenues, because of bus stops and the meters which you'd have to keep feeding quarters. And the possibility of your car being broken into, even in nice neighborhoods (I saw it happen once on Madison and 69th). NYC does have some city garages which are cheap (or free? not sure.) but they are few and far between and fill up fast (and I'm not sure how safe they are).

Contrast all that hassle with the convenience of buying a monthly MetroCard which gets you around the city on all subways and buses (transfers can be used on both) and you will not wonder why a huge amount of long-time New Yorkers have never ever owned a car and newcomers usually see the wisdom in giving theirs up. Check out MTA Home Page to read up on the public transportation in the city.

In what neighborhood will you be living? That might make a difference. But even if you keep your car in Manhattan, you wouldn't need it to commute to work - so if you don't use a garage, you'd have to feel secure leaving your car on the street all day if you're in a different neighborhood for work.

I've lived in Manhattan since 1983 (and in the same apartment since 1985) and never owned a car! In a pinch, I grab a cab. For longer trips outside the city, I rent a car from the big rental companies, but for shorter (hourly) trips I use Zipcar, which has worked out well.

~~D~~

Last edited by citychik; 06-21-2007 at 08:48 PM..

Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 PM

492 posts, read 72,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuz View Post
Will I be able to park my little SUV on the street while I move? Will I be towed, or stolen hmmm.
All of the above plus tickets, 1/2 the morning driving around the block looking for parking !
Forget the car in Manhatten you dont need one ! Parking is much worse then it was 5 years ago, a garage will run you $700-$1400 a month

Old 06-22-2007, 06:13 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,519,604 times
When I, thankfully, returned to NYC after 1.5 years elsewhere (for work), one of the FIRST things I did was sell my car. The parking, insurance, etc. are outrageous. Parking starts at around $400/month and goes up from there, depending on the neighborhood and services. You can either rent a car when you need one or get a Zip car, which you can use by the hour or by the day.

Best of luck.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:17 AM

23 posts, read 4,451 times
Depends on if you can comfortably afford it or not.

Most people who have cars in Manhattan have money to afford the car, expensive insurance, expensive parking etc.

It's always good to have a car of course. You can go out on the weekends, more freedom, etc. You surely don't need to use it everyday, but it's a nice luxury to have.

Just be aware that parking garages are quite expensive. Here is a website where you can compare rates..

NYC Parking Garage Rates - Compare All Daily and Monthly Prices for Garages and Lots in Manhattan, New York City

Old 06-22-2007, 08:33 AM

2,775 posts, read 8,550,670 times
You don't need a car. A bike would be better, cheaper, and quicker than a car in NYC.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:43 AM
DAS

2,276 posts, read 3,726,522 times
Have metrocard-will travel. The quintessential Manhattanite usually does not own a car.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 AM

7,897 posts, read 13,727,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuz View Post
Hi!

I am moving to NY (Manhattan) in August, from Las Vegas.... I'm driving there with my stuff (yey!)

And I am wondering do I sell my car and rent a truck B4 I go or see if I need it in NY before I sell?

Having had a car always- I already feel naked about letting it go! How do people do it?

You don't need a car at all to get around in Manhattan. Manhattan is completely covered in public transportation. Unless you are working in an outer borough or some place outside of Manhattan, a car is pretty useless and an annoyance.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:04 AM

957 posts, read 3,137,844 times
Default More of a problem than a benefit.

When I moved to Manhattan in 1999, I sold both of my cars. I never missed it.
With the possibility of congestion pricing, it makes even less sense to have a car in the city.
However, after moving to Brooklyn, there are times when a car would be nice (not necessary).
Ditch the car, and rent one when you need it.
Check out Zip Cars as an alternative to owning.

PS-Welcome to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City