U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,384,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Trinitarios yea in UH...but the BLOODS started here and have been ruining the neighborhood for over 20 years...not to mention the Latin Kings.

South Bronx is BLOODS and KINGS...some CRIPS spread around but mostly concentrated a little to the east.

DDP's in Fordham..along with Crips.
my post was a joke anyway out of the cyber anger i was going through for the hour.

and i didn't know kings existed well except for the ones in east new york anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,384,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
do the BLOODS pay taxes?
the ones that work and are in the gang for bragging rights do

Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,579,715 times
Let's try to keep this thread open by remaining on topic and not inciting the usual nonsense race/gang wars. The topic is the Concourse turning around, and I believe it is, and the area of the Concourse that has already, and will likely turn around the most is south of 165th st. I don't think anyone doubts that.

And there is no doubt that there are lots of NYCHA all around the Bronx, South Bronx in particular, but the area with the most affordable rents in all of NYC is the Central Bronx, not the South Bronx anymore. It is indicative of the change that is occuring, and the housing of last resort is in fact the Central Bronx now. The push from Manhattan is coming up the borough and putting pressure on the Southern Bronx first. I think the most upside/investment/changes are occuring south of 165th, which includes the lower Concourse.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:35 AM

5,503 posts, read 17,223,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Let's try to keep this thread open by remaining on topic and not inciting the usual nonsense race/gang wars. The topic is the Concourse turning around, and I believe it is, and the area of the Concourse that has already, and will likely turn around the most is south of 165th st. I don't think anyone doubts that.
This is true.

And there is no doubt that there are lots of NYCHA all around the Bronx, South Bronx in particular, but the area with the most affordable rents in all of NYC is the Central Bronx, not the South Bronx anymore. It is indicative of the change that is occuring, and the housing of last resort is in fact the Central Bronx now. The push from Manhattan is coming up the borough and putting pressure on the Southern Bronx first. I think the most upside/investment/changes are occuring south of 165th, which includes the lower Concourse.[/quote]

Can you prove that the central Bronx has more affordable rent? Everything I've seen tells me that the south Bronx is the cheapest place in the city.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 AM

I dunno where I read it...it was over the last year or so. It was an article that gave the highest median rent in NYC, and the lowest, and the lowest was in the Central Bronx (Morrissania).

Old 07-15-2010, 10:42 AM

49 posts, read 282,470 times
Quote:
I dunno where I read it...it was over the last year or so. It was an article that gave the highest median rent in NYC, and the lowest, and the lowest was in the Central Bronx (Morrissania).
Woah! Are you calling Morrisiana the Central Bronx. My initial post had to do with Conconcourse, that's it. Once you go past Webster it's a different ballgame.

Look, we're all somewhat biased when speaking about our neighborhoods. While we acknowledge their respective woes, we often, for the most part, make it seem as the other neighborhood is crappier than our own. But the fact is, the South Bronx is simply deplorable, in my opinion--particularly Morrisania. As nice as some of the new homes look, the bulk of the new buildings around there are low-income.

Things don't become better the lower you go. Take a look, for example, the South Bronx. This excerpt, taken from Curbed.com, speaks of a new condo-looking type building that's in fact a homeless shelter for formerly homeless HIV/AIDS residents:

SOUTH BRONX—Common Ground, the nonprofit doing some interesting things with new housing for the homeless (like The Lee on the LES), cut the ribbon today on The Brook, a funky six-story building at 455 East 148th Street in the Bronx. The 190-unit building houses the formerly homeless as well as low-income workers and people with HIV/AIDS. It's the group's first Bronx building, and Alexander Gorlin Architects did the design. More info and pics on Common Ground's website. [CurbedWire Inbox]

What's sad is that a quick glance at the building will likely lead a person to think, "Hey, the neighborhood is coming up." Listen, I'd hate to be so cynical, but I don't foresee the South Bronx coming back any time soon. The poverty down there is simply too entrenched. Too many NYCHA rehabs, too many shelters, etc.

At the end of the day, a crappy neighborhood with many landlords who accept section 8 tenants will always (in my opinion) have more potential than a neighborhood with two many projects. This is because, once the neighborhood comes up, the landlord will simply stop accepting section tenants. I'm seeing this happen in Washington Heights and even in my neighborhood, although to a smaller extent. In a neighborhood where you have nothing but projects and NYCHA rehabs, however, it's different, because those projects are not going anywhere, no matter where the neighborhood goes in the future. NYCHA projects are seldom converted to condos or what have you. As far as I know, the only low-income/affordable housing complexes that are converted to co-ops are the Mitchell Lama type of buildings.

This, by the way, is the reason why I decided to turn down that opportunity in Morris Heights--because the poverty, much like in the South Bronx, is simply too entrenched.

This is not to say, of course, that the Yankee Stadium area isn't great.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:50 AM

Huh? All I said as the most affordable rents were in Morrissania, not according to me, but to something I read...just don't remember. And the reality is, the poverty, crime, quality of life issues are generally all the same south of the Cross Bronx (hence why it was all just termed the South Bronx). Nevertheless, the actual South Bronx is south of 165th, and the Central bronx begins there, just north of Melrose.

Regarding your comment about the housing for HIV residents, you are completely wrong. The development is actually 2 fold, there is a smaller building that will have 60 studios for low-income senior citizens, and seniors with HIV. It has nothing to do with homeless people. And adjacent to it are really nice affordable coops going up with large balconies, gym, parking, etc. http://www.yournabe.com/articles/200...c524419508.txt In the picture the building on the corner is the affordable co-ops, and behind that is the senior housing. And I say...so what? People with HIV need a place to live...and so do our elderly (which may be you some day)...it doesn't make them criminals or bad for the nabe. This co-op is pretty amazing, and a beautiful addition to the community, and I am glad to have it rather than the trash filled empty lot that had been there for decades.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:32 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,223,343 times
Quote:
Morrisania is definitely the south bronx. As a matter of fact, it's the first neighborhood that comes to mind in regards to soBro.

Central BX would be Tremont, Fordham etc

Great post Inquiry man. Those are my sentiments exactly. Even though northern BK has a huge problem with crime I'd still say that when you consider poverty and crime rate, the south Bronx is the worst section of the city.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 PM

19,317 posts, read 32,792,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
According to city-data

University Heights : W Fordham rd to the north, W Burnside ave to the south, Major Deegan to the west, and Jerome ave to the east.

Tremont : E 181st to the north, Cross Bronx expwy to the south, Jerome ave to the west, and Webster ave to the east.

Suprising right?

I will say this. These two neighborhoods have no NYCHA housing project or rehab. Which may explain it. I also have to mention that there are blocks (according to city-data) that are extremely poor in both neighborhoods. Just to be fair.
yeah now that you post the boundaries, i think NYCHA is what completely throws it off...cause imagine if the south bronx had no NYCHA...it would have turned into williamsburg 10 years ago.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-15-2010, 12:41 PM

If there were no NYCHA in the South Bronx, it would not have burned down in the first place, and it would have remained much more working class...and it probably would have become a much more expensive community easily 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City