U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 PM

461 posts, read 1,194,355 times

Advertisements

Exactly...now can you see why I don't accept section 8/program people in my building? And remember that just as bad want to better the Bronx and I see the high concentration of NYCHA tenants as huge threat to the Bronx prospering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 03:52 PM

374 posts, read 567,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiryMan View Post
No, I'm not spotting mobs of them, but I am spotting one or two of them almost every time I go out--and they're not workers.

Maybe this may not be happening around Tremont or Burnside (in facts I've never seen it around there) but I'm seeing them around the Lebanon. And again, they are not employees.
How can you tell? There are many non-profits and schools in the area where people don't dress in a suit and tie and you'd never know they were at work. There are several around the Concourse area.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Neighborhoods like Mott Haven, Hunts Point, Melrose, and Morrisania are just too high crime. I would never live there. What's the point of living in a house, when you walk a block and you get robbed? At least the central Bronx hoods have lower crime rates. And University Heights does not belong in many of these conversations.

Below is median income in 2009, median rents, pop below poverty, and black percentage (from city data):

*For Fordham they combine Fordham Manor + Fordham Bedford..roughly from 182nd st to Kingsbridge rd...Jerome to Webster.

These neighborhoods ranged from 7.0 to 7.1 violent crime rates per 1,000.

University Heights - $30,387 $804 38.6% 23%
Tremont - $29,915 $791 38.5% 23%
Highbridge - $27,171 $694 41.3% 37%
Fordham -$25,786 $805 44% 21%
Morris Heights - $24,405 $702 42.1% 45%
---------------------------------------------------------------------

These neighborhoods ranged from 8.2 to 13.5 violent crime rates per 1,000.

Melrose - $18,894 $489 46.5% 27%
Morrisania - $19,617 $581 48% 50%
Mott Haven - $21,180 $473 46% 25%
Hunts point - $21,537 $549 47.6% 24%
East Tremont - $22,642 $634 44.6% 33%

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I used black percentage just because they correlate with higher crime rate and specifically to show the difference between Morris Heights and University Heights..night and day (literally lol) ..save me the lecture on racism..please!

Ok anyways...what do we have here? Hmm it seems these revitalized, booming, thriving southern Bronx hoods have in general, higher crime rates, cheaper rents, and higher poverty levels than those crumbling, disorganized, rowdy, disinvested central-west Bronx hoods!

But how can this be? I learn from city data that residents are moving from the south to where there are cheaper rents in west-central neighborhoods. How can the avg rent in UH be an extremely high (almost Bronx avg) $804 while the booming Mott haven has median rents of $473? Oh noes! Poor, low income UH has a very respectable median income of $30,387 while the oh so wonderful Mott Haven hood has a very very sad income of $21,180.

Look folks...the fact is that University Heights and Tremont need to be taken OUT of these conversations when statistics show that they are very very stable neighborhoods compared to the trash you have down south. When I think of Mott Haven and co. I think of welfare Puerto Ricans living alongside African Americans who call the VAST AMOUNT of housing projects home where you are probably goin to get robbed, mugged, witness a shootout, witness a drug transaction etc every day of your life! Watch out with the syringes on the floors...hey there are also plenty of vacant lots..smh...the south Bronx needs to be destroyed.

Up here we have stable family communities...where people actually work and play with their kids. Not go home everyday and shoot up.

Oh btw...you guys can take Morris Heights. What a crappy neighborhood that is. It resembles does trashy neighborhoods down south.

To finish off...I will repeat. Don't listen to ppl on here. University Heights -Tremont are not that bad!!!!!!!!! The scourge of the world, the lowest of trash, the trash of the city, the laughing stock of the world...will forever be Mott Haven, Hunts Point, Morrisania, Melrose, East Tremont, West Farms, and western Soundview.

and Morris Heights.
Mario, are you a sociology or social science major?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:04 PM

49 posts, read 143,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
How can you tell? There are many non-profits and schools in the area where people don't dress in a suit and tie and you'd never know they were at work. There are several around the Concourse area.
I know about the not-for-profits, volunteers and etc- they abound, which is why I always dismiss these sightings. But i've been spotting them in the laundrymats, supermarkets, and train stations in the morning. Sometimes even coming out of buildings. They can't all be employees. I've been in this neighborhood for a couple of years and haven't seen this many. Again, gentrification is too strong of a word at this point.

Oh, and the sightings have been both at day and night.

By the way, are you implying that they can't be in this neighborhood unless they're working here?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:16 PM

5,107 posts, read 11,940,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Mario, are you a sociology or social science major?
Civil engineering.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I know about the not-for-profits, volunteers and etc- they abound, which is why I always dismiss these sightings. But i've been spotting them in the laundrymats, supermarkets, and train stations in the morning. Sometimes even coming out of buildings. They can't all be employees. I've been in this neighborhood for a couple of years and haven't seen this many. Again, gentrification is too strong of a word at this point.

Oh, and the sightings have been both at day and night.

By the way, are you implying that they can't be in this neighborhood unless they're working here?
No, just very surprised. I left that neighborhood about 6 weeks ago. I lived closer to Yankee Stadium and am familiar with the Bronx-Lebanon area. Closer to Bronx-Lebanon is much worse, though. I know a few people who lived there who have had incidents there and have since left. I just can't imagine anyone would want to live near there. That neighborhood is awful and even worse down the hill on Clay, Webster, Washington Avenues, etc.

I do, however, see some people who live closer to 161 Street. You may have in fact seen me and not know it doing laundry. There are some on Walton Ave. and in Executive Towers but I wouldn't say it's more than a handful.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:58 PM

49 posts, read 143,370 times
Urban bright - NYPOST.com

This article, taken from the post, focuses on the Grand Concourse and how it's poised for better things.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:49 PM

461 posts, read 1,194,355 times
Quote:
Urban bright - NYPOST.com

This article, taken from the post, focuses on the Grand Concourse and how it's poised for better things.
Wow...excellent article. I really hope the rezoning of the area sparks new construction and beautifies the Bronx. Landmark status for the GC is an excellent idea. And to think that the GC was once looked at as the PARK AVE of the Bronx with high class, luxury beautiful buildings. Wow...really hope we can bring that feel and vibe back to the Bronx.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 PM

10,359 posts, read 18,817,098 times
good news for the bronx

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City