U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,891 times

Advertisements

Hi! I will be staying at a flat in NY for 20+ days in August around Washington Sq. Park. but I'm on a tight budget, coming from Argentina.

I'm looking for some tips on places with best prices/deals to buy day-to-day food (or a monthly big buy) around DOWNTOWN-MIDTOWN or up to CEENTRAL PARK.

I hope to make a one time BIG buy of groceries/food for my whole 20-days stock and cooking myself, so I'm into the best prices around...

Thank you!
Luis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM

10,626 posts, read 20,759,553 times
Someone else mentioned on another thread that they go to Western Beef in Manhattan to save money on groceries (as opposed to Fairway) Western beef New York

I would also recommend walking around Chinatown - you can get all sorts of bargains on food there, mostly on seafood, fruits and veggies.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:15 PM

982 posts, read 3,846,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Someone else mentioned on another thread that they go to Western Beef in Manhattan to save money on groceries (as opposed to Fairway) Western beef New York

I would also recommend walking around Chinatown - you can get all sorts of bargains on food there, mostly on seafood, fruits and veggies.
Yes, Western Beef, lots of organ meat!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:26 PM

8,230 posts, read 8,512,384 times
I'm not familiar with Western Beef, but in my experience with the general supermarket chains, the cheapest are Met Foods and Associated Supermarkets. I find Chinatown very iffy, and not necessarily cheap.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:46 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,654,796 times
It doesn't really work like that in Manhattan. A store may have cheap staples but expensive produce, and vice versa. In that neighborhood, Trader Joes on 14th Street is known for having good prices on quality items. There is a huge greenmarket in Union Square with fresh produce. If the farmers have a lots of an item you can get some great deals.

The middle market stores are known for having average prices, but you'll probably pay more for certain things. New Yorkers like to shop around. It's one of the only places in the country where you can still go to an independent butcher, baker, fishmonger, wine merchant, etc. There are stores that only sell pickles, or tea, or olives, or olive oil. Of course, 20 days is not enough time to explore a neighborhood and figure out where to go for what item. We don't buy a month's worth of groceries at one time because we have neither a way to transport them nor a place to store them.

Frankly, you're not going to get really cheap groceries in Manhattan. Stores there cater to the affluent who value quality over price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City