U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:52 AM

10 posts, read 18,914 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I'm an italian guy . I'm interested to pursuing a master in management or marketing in NYC. I need yoursuggestion about my plan of application for a master course. I've heard that the ESE(european school economics) i not accredited in the U.S. ....So, do you guys have any suggestion about a good master course in economics field in an affordable and accredited university in NYC?
I've a three years degree in business economics...it's accredited to apply in NYC schools?
Thank you for your reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 AM

up

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 AM

nobody can helpe me?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:55 AM

nobody can helpe me?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:26 AM

769 posts, read 1,777,214 times
If you're going to go to NYC for a master's degree in business AND you intend to stay there, your best options are NYU and Columbia. Both are highly ranked and will probably land you the better jobs. However, they are not cheap and are not easy to get admitted to. I think NYU will run you around $90k for an MBA and Columbia might be over $100k. There are other schools outside of NYC you can look at that are well ranked and a bit more affordable. Indiana University is ranked in the top 20 and I believe their program is around $60k. There are a few others in the top 20 in that range. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
If you're going to go to NYC for a master's degree in business AND you intend to stay there, your best options are NYU and Columbia. Both are highly ranked and will probably land you the better jobs. However, they are not cheap and are not easy to get admitted to. I think NYU will run you around $90k for an MBA and Columbia might be over $100k. There are other schools outside of NYC you can look at that are well ranked and a bit more affordable. Indiana University is ranked in the top 20 and I believe their program is around $60k. There are a few others in the top 20 in that range. Good luck.
the prices are very crazy 100k,60k? I'm not bill gates's son . In business european school program is around $17k

Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 PM

467 posts, read 1,653,613 times
Look into CUNY Baruch College. A masters at a CUNY school will cost less than $15k.*

*Once/if you are an NY State resident.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,645,283 times
What are your career goals? If you think you can get a cheap degree and land a banking job in Manhattan with a mid-six-figure bonus, you don't know how the city works.

If you want value for money you should get your degree in Europe from a reputable school. The higher ranked the better. Some place like the European School of Economics doesn't count. Universities get much more state funding in Europe than they in the US. Also, for highly compensated professions like law and business, tuition at US states schools is often similar to private schools. The states don't subsidized those degrees as much because they know graduates will earn a lot money and can afford to pay back the loans (in theory, anyway).

By the way, I have a friend who is getting his undergraduate in economics at Columbia. We were discussing graduate schools for economics and he said that the good schools often don't take grad students who have a bachelor's degree in economics. They're not considered smart enough. Nowadays economics grad students frequently have an undergrad degree in math or physics, not economics.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:00 PM

6,037 posts, read 6,076,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
Look into CUNY Baruch College. A masters at a CUNY school will cost less than $15k.*

*Once/if you are an NY State resident.
Wow that's cheap. You sure that's not the tuition for a year? $30k seems a lot more in line with what I've seen price wise for MBAs from non-ranked schools.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:19 PM

6,037 posts, read 6,076,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epsylon View Post
the prices are very crazy 100k,60k? I'm not bill gates's son . In business european school program is around $17k
Yeah well, welcome to America.

When it comes to graduate degrees like JD's or MBA's, you want to go to the absolute best school you can get into, because reputation and name brand really does make a difference at that level in terms of future salary, getting the job, or even just getting callbacks when you start pounding the pavement after graduation. Silly, because the quality of education may not (probably doesn't in most cases) justify the price delta between a state school and a top tier, but that's the way of it none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City